• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Pec Workout - not feeling the strain

chrischarles

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Hi there. This is a newbie question for sure, but I've been training hard for about 4 months now. I do a 4 day split routine.

On one of the days, I focus on Pectorals.
I do 4 sets, and increasing weight / decreasing sets, last set to failure:

Bench Press (Dumbbell)
Machine Chest Press (Seated)
Bench Press (Smith Machine, Decline)
Bench Press (Smith Machine, Incline)
Pec Deck Flyes
Flyes (Cable, Bent Over)
Machine Chest Press (Incline)

My problem is that I don't feel the strain in my chest when I'm doing most of these exercises, I feel it mostly in my arms (Triceps & Forearm).

The only exercise where I really feel my chest working is the "Pec Deck Flyes" .

With a mix of machines + free weights, is it normal that I feel it more in my arms than in my pecs, when I'm doing reps up until failure, especially for excurses that are supposed to isolate the pectorals?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

1. Widen your grip on bench by a finger or two and see how that feels.

2. Stop using the smith machine - do proper bench.

3. Cut down the number of exercises and sets you're doing. You do more sets for your chest in that single workout than i do for my entire body in a week!!! Think about that.

4. Do you really need to 'feel the strain'? Are you progressing in weight on the bar? Reps? Has your bodyweight increased if you're going for mass gain? If you don't know the answers to these questions then perhaps you should start paying greater attention to your training. Pick a more tangible and measurable indicator of success.

Haha couldn't have said it better. Your muscles are probably just numb from overtraining.

Just kidding... But seriously - You need to focus the muscle contraction in your pecs. It's that simple.

And just to be clear, you don't need that many exercises for chest.

Even Arnold would have called that overkill.

<- agrees with previous posts.

i'm still a noob, but when i FIRST started out i had to get past the pain = success mentality. just because it hurts doesn't mean youre doing something good.

push / pull heavy compound movements
eat right
rest
repeat
= growth

Yeah, you're overtraining a bit. Another possibilty is your arms/tri's are lagging/weakness. Cut some out of the chest workout and add a little more tricept work whenever you train them, see if you cant get them to strengthen up a bit.

You would probably get more size from just push ups then all that shit

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll cut down on the excersies and focus on quality and cu out the smith machine as well.
I am gaining in mass, and to answer the question above, I am progressing in weight on the bar.

My pre-conception, was that I was supposed to be feeling the tighness in the muscle after the workout, the same as I do for the some of the other excercises.

Thanks for all the feedback - I'll cut down on the excersies and focus on quality and cu out the smith machine as well.
I am gaining in mass, and to answer the question above, I am progressing in weight on the bar.

My pre-conception, was that I was supposed to be feeling the tighness in the muscle after the workout, the same as I do for the some of the other excercises.

Tightness, soreness, pump, etc, doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's certainly no indication of quality of training.

For example, I always have the best pumps on days I'm not training. This is probably due to more water in my system, and no damage to the muscles?? Who knows. It doesn't matter. What matters is you're growing and getting stronger.

Loose the machines and try some free weight then make sure you have proper form. If you are feeling it in the wrong spot it could be form.

If you've been doing that routine I would suggest you take a week off and do no upper body work, carb load for the last two days and then go into heavy press movements.

Make sure your squat game is on in the meantime.

I had the very same prblem for the first year of training. Couldnt feel the strain in my pecs (other than a stretch when doing flyes), so here's a few tips i utilised..they definitely work.

1. Reduce the weight, only slightly, but make sure its light enough to get every rep with a full range of motion (no bouncing, make sure bar touches your chest every rep).

2. Do heavy sets for chest for a few weeks. 2-6 reps in each set- i guarantee you'll feel the contraction (again, emphasise full range of motion).

3. Ditch the barbell, at least for a while. Going deep on dumbbell presses is the best way to 'feel' the muscle working.

4. ALWAYS keep your chest forward, as in pushed out, in front of your shoulders- never allow your shoulders to roll forward as this can irritate your front delts and will transfer most of the load to the shoulders and arms, which isnt what you want.

Hope this helps :)

Wow! Everyone must be in a good mood. I saw his "Pectoral Workout" and figured he was about to get his ass torn up but........nope. :daydream:

A round of reps for everyone ON ME for helping this poor bastard out......!!!! :alcoholic:

And to the OP, listen to them.

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to PushandPull again"

Last edited:
Next time your in the gym, try the following for chest:

Flat Bench 3x6-8 with a 4/1/1/1 tempo (4 sec down, 1 sec hold on chest, 1 sec going up and then 1 sec at the top before next rep). Try setting up with either your pinky or ring finger on the ring of the Olympic bar.

Incline DB - 3x6-8 using same tempo

DB or Cable Fly's - 2x10-12 - keep good form and hold for 2-3 seconds on each rep.

If you dont feel a pump in your chest after doing that then you need to make sure that blood is pumping to your pecks :roflmao:

1. Widen your grip on bench by a finger or two and see how that feels.

2. Stop using the smith machine - do proper bench.

3. Cut down the number of exercises and sets you're doing. You do more sets for your chest in that single workout than i do for my entire body in a week!!! Think about that.

4. Do you really need to 'feel the strain'? Are you progressing in weight on the bar? Reps? Has your bodyweight increased if you're going for mass gain? If you don't know the answers to these questions then perhaps you should start paying greater attention to your training. Pick a more tangible and measurable indicator of success.
what the blimey said. He's a smart guy.

I would also cut down on the volume as well.

Strain is not indicative of progress. A simple way to measure as Gaz has said, is to perform the said amount of reps perfectly. Then increase. Very simple.

Change your routine up frequently. Somtimes heavy with low reps, sometimes light with more reps. I don't think your workout is too bad, but I would hit fewer auxillarary lifts harder. Use a couple of them one day and the others a different day.

All machines? Are you joking me man.

Then you need help as well.

Not at all,but thanks. As long has he mixes it up it's not bad. I'm amazed how so many think there is only one way to do things and that is the best plan for everyone. Everyone is different and personally I think blasting 1-2 groups in a given day 1 time a week can be excellent...depending on your getitics and current condition.

Not at all,but thanks. As long has he mixes it up it's not bad. I'm amazed how so many think there is only one way to do things and that is the best plan for everyone. Everyone is different and personally I think blasting 1-2 groups in a given day 1 time a week can be excellent...depending on your getitics and current condition.

another retard "mixing it up."

haha 7 exercises tho? your nuts

Doing 28 sets of chest is overkill, even if you're using light weight. He says he's mixing in free weight and machines, but 21 of the 28 sets are being performed on machines, that's not mixing it up. If he was lifting heavy weight, he wouldn't be able to do 28 sets. Using light weight is a problem if you're looking to gain size and strength in the primary muscle of your lift. His arms are likely getting tired, because of the high volume, light weight, routine he is using. I use high volume routines when I feel my secondary muscles need to be strengthened. This is basically what's happening with him but he doesn't realize it, because he's obviously inexperienced, just like you.

You grow in the kitchen and in bed.

another retard "mixing it up."

And you get your information where? Buddy at the gym? Getting educated doesn't always work by asking other lifters/bodybuilders. Sometimes B.S. info gets passed down just like old wives tales. Not all the info is bad, but some is way off.

Back