Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Rep Points

Post U.S. House votes to restore jobless aid for millions

U.S. House votes to restore jobless aid for millions
    By Lori Montgomery
    Washington Post Staff Writer

Congress has approved a six-month extension of emergency jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed. On a vote of 272 to 152, the House gave the measure final approval and sent it on to the White House, where aides said President Obama plans to sign it immediately.

The Senate passed the measure Wednesday.

The bill will revive a program that provides up to 99 weeks of income support to those who have exhausted state benefits, restoring aid to nearly 3 million people who have seen their checks cut off since the program expired June 2. Advocates for the unemployed said checks in some states are likely to go out quickly; in others, people can expect a delay of several weeks.

With unemployment at 9.5 percent, both parties agreed that aid should be extended to people who have lost their jobs. But the legislation has been mired for months in an increasingly bitter election-year battle over whether the government should add to an already bloated national debt to bolster the sluggish economic recovery.

Republicans said no, saying that the nation should pay for the $34 billion extension with unexpended funds from last year's economic stimulus package.

"I haven't heard anybody say we shouldn't be extending unemployment benefits. The difference is one side wants to borrow 34 cents on the dollar, mainly from the Chinese, and send the bill to our children and our grandchildren," said Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Tex.).

Democrats argued that emergency benefits have never been paid for -- even during the Reagan administration -- and accused Republicans of trying to undermine public faith in the Obama administration.

"They'll say it's because of the deficit. But in reality, they're simply trying to make this president fail at any cost," said Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), who accused the GOP of trying to "infect" voters with "fiscal fear."

"The Republican leadership in Congress has decided that the way to get the White House back is by denying unemployment benefits to people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own and show them that this government doesn't work," he said.

The extension was first introduced in a nearly $200 billion package of a variety of other economic measures sought by the Obama administration, including fresh aid to state governments and extended health insurance subsidies for the unemployed. Republicans blasted the spending plan, and conservative Democrats revolted, demanding that the package be scaled back.

Democratic leaders spent the next two months tossing various items overboard until nothing was left but the least controversial bit of spending: income support for unemployed workers. Democrats downsized even that program, dropping a $25-a-week bonus for all jobless workers that had been enacted under last year's stimulus package.

Even as the House approved the jobless bill, the Senate was wrestling with what may be the final item on the president's economic agenda for this year -- a package of small-business tax incentives. To draw Republican support, however, Democrats offered late Wednesday to cut out the heart of the package: a $30 billion fund to increase small-business lending.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I was listening to this yesterday on NPR. Good for Obama! The government waste so much fucking money that it doesn't even matter anymore, so they might as well waste it on people who deserve a little help.

I can't think of a better person to spend it on than someone who had been working, but lost their job in the downturn. Fuck the current republicans! I am sick and god damn tired of hearing about the deficit. They didn't give a flying fuck about the deficit when Bush gave insane tax cuts to the rich. They didn't say shit about the deficit when they spent ridiculous amounts of money fighting a losing war. But now that we are talking about helping out working class people, now they want to bring up the deficit.
    Fucking Determined!

Administrator
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    I was listening to this yesterday on NPR. Good for Obama! The government waste so much fucking money that it doesn't even matter anymore, so they might as well waste it on people who deserve a little help.

I can't think of a better person to spend it on than someone who had been working, but lost their job in the downturn. Fuck the current republicans! I am sick and god damn tired of hearing about the deficit. They didn't give a flying fuck about the deficit when Bush gave insane tax cuts to the rich. They didn't say shit about the deficit when they spent ridiculous amounts of money fighting a losing war. But now that we are talking about helping out working class people, now they want to bring up the deficit.
    yup, it's good to hear someone else that realizes that Republicans only support the rich, when someone tells me they are a Republican I ask them if they're a millionaire, obviously most say no, so I then ask why the hell are you a Republican?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    yup, it's good to hear someone else that realizes that Republicans only support the rich, when someone tells me they are a Republican I ask them if they're a millionaire, obviously most say no, so I then ask why the hell are you a Republican?
    hahah I like the answer "If I ever make a lot of money then I'd like to be able to keep that money"

Well.....nice pipe dream....Too bad you are middle class at best and are getting raped of your wages now and it is very likely that you will never have a lot of money!
    What Would Fetus Do?

Metrosexual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fetusaurus Rex View Post
    hahah I like the answer "If I ever make a lot of money then I'd like to be able to keep that money"

Well.....nice pipe dream....Too bad you are middle class at best and are getting raped of your wages now and it is very likely that you will never have a lot of money!
    Exactly. The people that complain about the rich are those that know that they're never going to be rich; Because, that's like...hard.

Administrator
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Fetusaurus Rex View Post

really, I am middle class at best? ummm...okay. I don't get raped of any wages bro, I am self employed, I own two companies, and unlike you I do whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. If I don't feel like working I stay in bed, if I want to go on a vacation I just go. And money is not an issue in my life, it has not been for the past 10 years, in fact despite this downturn in the economy the past few years I have actually made MORE money each year....so GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Administrator
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post
    Exactly. The people that complain about the rich are those that know that they're never going to be rich; Because, that's like...hard.
    I am not complaining about the rich, I wish I was in the lucky sperm club and inherited wealth, but I didn't, I had to bust my ass to get where I am, which is a very comfortable place and I have more money than most people will ever have.

Oh, and the 8 day all inclusive vacation I had in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico with my wife, a few weeks ago was awesome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

really, I am middle class at best? ummm...okay. I don't get raped of any wages bro, I am self employed, I own two companies, and unlike you I do whatever the fuck I want, whenever I want. If I don't feel like working I stay in bed, if I want to go on a vacation I just go. And money is not an issue in my life, it has not been for the past 10 years, in fact despite this downturn in the economy the past few years I have actually made MORE money each year....so GO FUCK YOURSELF.
    Wow...That message was completely misread...I was talking about Republicans who are not rich but think they will be some day.......some day....but they aren't and probably never will be...
    What Would Fetus Do?

Metrosexual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I am not complaining about the rich, I wish I was in the lucky sperm club and inherited wealth, but I didn't, I had to bust my ass to get where I am, which is a very comfortable place and I have more money than most people will ever have.

Oh, and the 8 day all inclusive vacation I had in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico with my wife, a few weeks ago was awesome!
    I wasn't talking about you specifically, I meant in a general sense.

The problem with busting your ass to get somewhere is that there is any number of politicians waiting in line to relieve you of your money and give it to someone who doesn't deserve it. Where it's going doesn't matter, it's just not right.

Administrator
    ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    287 Posts
    Rep Points

okay, sorry I thought you guys were attacking me, I guess I am a little on edge today.

by "rich" I don't mean a person that makes $250k per year, that is not rich in my mind, I am talking about those that make 7+ figures per year.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by DOMS View Post

I always say why hate the rich....the tax cut help everyone...anyone that owns or runs a Bizz will tell ya ..but why not hate the rich just look at al gore went from being worth 1.5 million while Vp now is worth over 250 million...yea the drones are making him rich
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

primeau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

okay, sorry I thought you guys were attacking me, I guess I am a little on edge today.

by "rich" I don't mean a person that makes $250k per year, that is not rich in my mind, I am talking about those that make 7+ figures per year.
    I don't understand why the White House uses this 250K as a benchmark for being rich. If you live in NY you're only keeping 50% of that and 125K of post tax income in NY, SF, Chicago etc is middle class all the way. Its not 1980 anymore

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lnvanry View Post
    I don't understand why the White House uses this 250K as a benchmark for being rich. If you live in NY you're only keeping 50% of that and 125K of post tax income in NY, SF, Chicago etc is middle class all the way. Its not 1980 anymore
    i think now your getting it...
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Rep Points

the dems more often than repubs want to take most of your money and leave you enough to just get by

Gatekepper
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Sadly, I think all these view points have some merritt:

"I haven't heard anybody say we shouldn't be extending unemployment benefits. The difference is one side wants to borrow 34 cents on the dollar, mainly from the Chinese, and send the bill to our children and our grandchildren," said Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Tex.).

Democrats argued that emergency benefits have never been paid for -- even during the Reagan administration -- and accused Republicans of trying to undermine public faith in the Obama administration.

"They'll say it's because of the deficit. But in reality, they're simply trying to make this president fail at any cost," said Rep. Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), who accused the GOP of trying to "infect" voters with "fiscal fear."

"The Republican leadership in Congress has decided that the way to get the White House back is by denying unemployment benefits to people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own and show them that this government doesn't work," he said.
    It's a shame so many people feel the need to sacrifice their personal principles to support parties that are so worried about being on the winning team that they fail to represent their constituants well.

A Democrat has constituants from all parties, as does a Republican. The us and them syndrome is causing grevious damage to our system.
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

How to Use HCG