• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Fructose and Cancer Link

Big Smoothy

Windy City
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I know most people on this site are aware, but look at the millions that are not aware, or don't dare.

I assume more studies may be needed. Watch the soda pop and read the labels. How could any of these (food lobby influenced people) think sucrose (sugar) is the same as fructose? And most of this fructose intake is from the High Fructose Corn Syrup that is in so many foods, it's hard to avoid unless you are pro-active.

Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds
Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds | Reuters

Mon Aug 2, 2010
* Study shows fructose used differently from glucose

* Findings challenge common wisdom about sugars

Aug 2 (Reuters) - Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same.

Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways,
the team at the University of California Los Angeles found.

They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types.

"These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation,"
Dr. Anthony Heaney of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center and colleagues wrote.

"They have major significance for cancer patients given dietary refined fructose consumption, and indicate that efforts to reduce refined fructose intake or inhibit fructose-mediated actions may disrupt cancer growth."

Americans take in large amounts of fructose, mainly in high fructose corn syrup, a mix of fructose and glucose that is used in soft drinks, bread and a range of other foods.

Politicians, regulators, health experts and the industry have debated whether high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients have been helping make Americans fatter and less healthy.

Too much sugar of any kind not only adds pounds, but is also a key culprit in diabetes, heart disease and stroke, according to the American Heart Association.

Several states, including New York and California, have weighed a tax on sweetened soft drinks to defray the cost of treating obesity-related diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

The American Beverage Association, whose members include Coca-Cola (KO.N) and Kraft Foods (KFT.N) have strongly, and successfully, opposed efforts to tax soda. [ID:nN12233126]

The industry has also argued that sugar is sugar.

Heaney said his team found otherwise. They grew pancreatic cancer cells in lab dishes and fed them both glucose and fructose.

Tumor cells thrive on sugar but they used the fructose to proliferate. "Importantly, fructose and glucose metabolism are quite different," Heaney's team wrote.

"I think this paper has a lot of public health implications. Hopefully, at the federal level there will be some effort to step back on the amount of high fructose corn syrup in our diets," Heaney said in a statement.

Now the team hopes to develop a drug that might stop tumor cells from making use of fructose.

U.S. consumption of high fructose corn syrup went up 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990,
researchers reported in 2004 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Link at top.

my guess is that in the long run it will be the combination of HFCS and other chemical additives. It boggles my mind that people consume heavily processed foods on a daily basis and think nothing of it. why would anyone think that consuming various chemicals day in and out for the lifespan would have a positive effect on the health status?

I don't drink sugary soda or eat bread, so I'm all set... :clapping:

HFCS is in everything. hamburgs, hot-dogs, potato chips, corn ships, you name any processed food "it in there"

How could any of these (food lobby influenced people) think sucrose (sugar) is the same as fructose? And most of this fructose intake is from the High Fructose Corn Syrup that is in so many foods, it's hard to avoid unless you are pro-active.

Very cool article.

Sucrose is not the same as fructose. It's the same as fructose and glucose. This means it's just as bad as HFCS.

Also as bad as HFCS: honey, dried fruit, fruit juice, fruit juice concentrate (used as a sweetener), and fruit leather (yay! Kiddy treats! Start 'em young!).

I don't drink sugary soda or eat bread, so I'm all set... :clapping:

Yep. Provided you avoid large quantities of juice, dried fruit, honey, tree fruits, maple syrup, jam etc.
HFCS is in everything. hamburgs, hot-dogs, potato chips, corn ships, you name any processed food "it in there"

While this is true, I remain unconvinced HFCS is the devil. The problem is in the amount of fructose consumed by the individual. A little fructose won't hurt you - you'll get a bit in a few pieces of fruit a day and you'll be fine. Hell, the occasional non-diet Coke won't kill you. It's the chronic, day after day high-level fructose consumption that's causing problems.

Among them:
  • Obesity (fructose interferes with the normal satiety response due to carbohydrate consumption by messing with insulin secretion; it also leads to insulin resistance, hyperglycemia and eventually type II diabetes)
  • Gout (fructose and urate are both transported by the same SLC2A9 (also known as GLUT9) transporter; Furthermore, fructose generates the formation of uric acid.
There are more. I'm just being lazy.

my guess is that in the long run it will be the combination of HFCS and other chemical additives. It boggles my mind that people consume heavily processed foods on a daily basis and think nothing of it. why would anyone think that consuming various chemicals day in and out for the lifespan would have a positive effect on the health status?

Yes, LAM it's in just about everything. I do my best to avoid it.

Are all of these chemicals necesarry?

100 years ago in the US, I want to know how healthy or healthier people may have been.

Cancer rates?

Certain diseases.

Most of us have seen "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" in the long and short version and the link to obesity.

Glad your back here LAM (although I mentioned that somewhere else).

that is why I can't say it enough,moderation moderation MODERATION!!!

make sure to get plenty of veggies and fruits in EVERY DAY!

sounds simple and mundane by now,however it is what is best for the body!

I was watching a tv show on cable months ago and they were talking about how modern farming techniques have increased yields of various crops but the nutritional value of them have decreased as a whole. this of course totally blows because it means basically a 2010 apple is = .33 a 1970 apple in terms of nutrients

Back