• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Should Obama put Solar Electric Panels on the White House?

Should the Pres. put Solar Electricity on the White House?

• Yeh!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Nay!

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I'm ig'nant and think the Earth is filled with oil all the way to the core

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • He should tear it down and build an Earth Ship with only solar power

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Fuck that put a mini-nuclear plant on the lawn...

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

maniclion

Bohemian Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What say ye?

AUTHOR: jnshere
"As oil continues to gush into the Gulf of Mexico and climate and clean energy legislation remains stalled in the Senate, President Obama has an opportunity to do more than criticize BP???s bumbling CEO, Tony Hayward, and lend lip service to the need for alternative energy. He can put solar panels back on the White House roof.

That???s the thrust of a citizen action campaign called ???Globama,??? led by the solar energy company Sungevity, which has offered to donate and install a photovoltaic array on the White house at no cost to the Obamas or to taxpayers. According to the campaign???s online petition, should President Obama take Sungevity up on its offer, ???this achievement will be an important symbol to the world that the United States is committed to realizing that environmental and economic benefits of clean energy.???

So should the president go solar? Before deciding, Obama might consider what happened the last time one of his predecessors invested in solar energy.

As many readers will no doubt remember, in 1979 Jimmy Carter unveiled a thermal hot water solar system bolted to the White House roof. ???A generation from now,??? the president told assembled reporters, ???this solar heater can either be a curiosity, a museum piece, an example of a road not taken, or it can be a small part of one of the greatest and most exciting adventures ever undertaken by the American people???harnessing the power of the sun to enrich our lives as we move away from our crippling dependence on foreign oil.???

Roughly a generation on, Carter???s solar panels have in fact become a museum piece. In 1986, then-president Ronald Reagan had the panels removed during routine White House roof maintenance and never bothered replacing them. After languishing in federal storage for the better part of a decade, the system was donated to environmentally minded Unity College, in Maine, where they were mounted on the school???s cafeteria. Today, one of the panels is on display at the Carter Presidential Library and Museum in Atlanta.

From one perspective, then, the story of Jimmy Carter???s adventures in solar energy reads like a cautionary tale. Any president who puts some attention-grabbing, trendy technology on the roof of arguably the world???s most famous building is merely providing his successor the opportunity to score political points by tearing the thing down.

But there???s another side to the story???one that most readers may not recall. For Carter in 1979, the solar panels were a symbolic gesture meant to garner support for his proposed $100 million ???solar energy bank??? initiative, with a goal of generating 20% of U.S. power from alternative energy sources by 2000. To fund the plan, Carter urged Congress to pass a ???windfall profits??? tax on the domestic oil industry and approve subsidies to encourage developers to install solar panels on new and existing buildings.

As a public relations stunt, the solar panels worked. Stories and op/eds in the days following the rooftop press conference were largely supportive. The few dissenting voices criticized Carter for not doing enough to encourage solar and other alternative sources of energy. Such enthusiasm was characteristic of mounting interest in clean, renewable energy technologies since the onset of the energy crisis in 1973. In April of 1979, just months before Carter???s solar plan went public, this newspaper reported on a study claiming that investing in solar energy would create as many as 3 million jobs by 1990.

In the end, the Iran hostage crisis scuttled both Carter???s bid for reelection and his plans for a solar-powered America. Reagan???s landslide victory in 1980, his hands-off approach to energy policy (he tried, unsuccessfully, to dissolve the newly established Department of Energy) and falling oil and gas prices largely quashed public interest in solar energy.

So, given this recent history of solar panels on the White House, should Obama go that route?

In a word, yes. With oil and gas prices hovering around mid-1970s levels (in today???s dollars), pervasive worry about climate change, and outrage over the BP oil spill, the time is ripe for Obama to throw the full weight of his support behind solar and other renewable energy technologies. Unlike the politically motivated energy crisis of the 1970s, today???s energy challenges are all too real, and many people around the world seem ready to envision an energy future beyond fossil fuels.

To be sure, putting a solar array on the White House won???t solve our energy problems. But it would be a potent symbol of the president???s commitment and willingness to support initiatives that will start us on a path toward clean, renewable power. And given the fact that our many energy-related problems are here for the long haul, it won???t be so easy for Obama???s successor to rip the panels down."

Good enough for my house, why not the White House!

Geothermal is better. The production of solar panels creates a lot of waste.

Geothermal is better. The production of solar panels creates a lot of waste.
And the tools to tap into geothermal doesn't? Besides how will they tap into the ground with all those tunnels running under the WhiteHouse? You know the EarthShip concept uses the Geothermal principle, they build it partially under a dirt mound to regulate the temp. inside in winter month's they allow the Sun into usually made of old tires where heat is trapped for the night. I think using all methods at hand is the only way to get off of our fossil fuel addiction.

And the tools to tap into geothermal doesn't? Besides how will they tap into the ground with all those tunnels running under the WhiteHouse? You know the EarthShip concept uses the Geothermal principle, they build it partially under a dirt mound to regulate the temp. inside in winter month's they allow the Sun into usually made of old tires where heat is trapped for the night. I think using all methods at hand is the only way to get off of our fossil fuel addiction.
You're correct about this all methods notion. The oil teat ain't gonna dry up willingly though. Lotsa corporate power pushing against progress

Yeah, you're just dumb!
Not exactly, watermelons are more useful than roses, I mean at least you can eat them. But Michelle already did such a thing when she planted the organic veggie garden, I give props for that, but the other thing is that they will be using varroa mite resistant bee colonies to pollinate it. It's not like it will change the world alone, but these moves help to tell others that believe "if the Pres and 1st lady are committed to change then I should too."

jimmy carter..nuff said

IML Gear Cream!
I say we take the mosque he wants to support near Ground Zero, build it, and then burn the fucker and use the kindle for warming the new trade center.

Oh and he should also use solar.

can the building be solar powered without actually installing stuff on the building. have the panels adjacent to it maybe? obscured by a wall or hedge? how could it be done without making it look hugely different?

i say you should draw up a plan and send it to the white house or have it published in a newspaper.

maybe he could install some mini solar panels in white trash skulls and spread some illumination while he's at it.

can the building be solar powered without actually installing stuff on the building. have the panels adjacent to it maybe? obscured by a wall or hedge? how could it be done without making it look hugely different?
Oh hell yes it can be ground mounted anywhere on the lawn. There is actually a small system installed that was approved by Clinton and installed under GW's nose by Steven Strong, a guy I've met a couple of times and drank beers with. It is on a shed on the grounds and was brought in by the National Parks service who are in charge of upkeep of the White House lawn, etc. One company has offered to install a system for free, probably not on the White House because it has antennas and radar crap all over it for comms, but there are plenty of places it could go....

they should do it then.

Thank you! I was with the costs in the long term investments of the tax payers, and the creating and dumping of wastes, as well toxics. Great Call!

:daydream:
Is that some kind of sentence? And why are you thanking him for propogating a myth about solar electric modules, it is not a pollution heavy industry, they have done studies to show that if anything over the course of their lifetime they will help to curtail many times more polluting sources of energy than they ever made during the very short few hours they were being produced.....

Do you know what geothermal thrives on, long large plastic pipes made using petroleum, if you've ever been to a plastics facility you'll know it's no where as clean and green as a pristine workshop where robots are lifting silicon cells and gently placing them on glass and then an aluminum frame is placed around and finally a tevlar backing is put over the back to seal it all in...this environment has to be dust free so that nothing contaminates the cells inside. We aren't talking silicon wafer clean like Intel but pretty damn close. Any left over silicon goes to be recycled usually as more solar cells, the aluminum scraps are sent to be recycled, they use lead-free solders. Both of the companies we distribute have their factories covered with PV to help offset the energy going into making the modules....

like jugger said , obama, i voted for that tard and to even think of letting a muslim santuary near the place the wtc stood is fucked up, thats just spitting in the face of everybody who died there. blow the goverment up includes dea, fda, epa, and the rest of the assholes who " tell us wat to do and how high to jump " like hitler did obama can do but in a usa logical manner. i love america but i hate the whole agency or anything to do with LE or goverment. ( spelling needs improvement).

IML Gear Cream!
What do you mean should obama put them on the white house? Shouldn't it be phrased more like, "Should obama REINSTALL solar panels on the white house?". They used to be there during the Carter admin, then reagan had them removed.

Smooth move regean. No wonder conservatives like you, you too were an idiot. :jerkit:

What do you mean should obama put them on the white house? Shouldn't it be phrased more like, "Should obama REINSTALL solar panels on the white house?". They used to be there during the Carter admin, then reagan had them removed.

Smooth move regean. No wonder conservatives like you, you too were an idiot. :jerkit:
Those were Solar Water Heating Panels, the most logical step in going green, all it takes is some copper tubing painted black, a small circulating pump with temp regulated controller and a storage tank and a person can kill 40-50% of their electric bill. Heating water with electricity is the most wasteful way to do it. Our company provided the ones that went back when Steven Strong installed the PV system.
Here's a link HomeProducts Empire CollectorsSu

They heat the pool and spa, another provides heating for the main water supply, not sure how much though...

Here's the full detail:
In July and August 2002, three solar energy systems, designed by Steven Strong of Solar Design Associates in Harvard, Massachusetts, were installed on two separate White House buildings. The first of these, a large 8.75 peak-kilowatt photovoltaic (PV) system, was installed on the National Park Service maintenance building located in the southwest corner of the 16-acre (6.5 ha) White House grounds. This system consists of 167 EC-51 PV modules, each rated at 51 watts, manufactured by Evergreen Solar of Marlboro, Massachusetts. Three 2,500-watt Sunny Boy inverters, provided by SMA Americas (a division of the German manufacturer SMA), convert this DC electricity into AC power that is fed into the White House electricity grid.

On the same building, a residential-scale solar water heating system was installed to provide hot water for landscape maintenance personnel. This system is comprised of two 4' x 8' (1.2 x 2.4 m) flat-plate collectors made by SunEarth, Inc., of Fontana, California. These panels were installed using a typical stand-off mount in a drain-back configuration (for more on solar water heating.

The third installation is a five-panel, building-integrated solar hot water system on the White House cabana next to the presidential pool and spa. This system is integrated into a terne-coated, standing-seam copper roof. The inset design of the panels provides a relatively flush profile (see photo). Hot water produced by this system heats a hot tub and shower, with any extra energy going into the outdoor pool. The absorber plates for these panels were made by SunEarth, but the rest of the system was site-manufactured for better integration with the roof.

like jugger said , obama, i voted for that tard and to even think of letting a muslim santuary near the place the wtc stood is fucked up, thats just spitting in the face of everybody who died there. blow the goverment up includes dea, fda, epa, and the rest of the assholes who " tell us wat to do and how high to jump " like hitler did obama can do but in a usa logical manner. i love america but i hate the whole agency or anything to do with LE or goverment. ( spelling needs improvement).
You my friend sound totally retarded....don't you think the government shouldn't be allowed to tell a church where it can and cannot build...if anything it is a city zoning issue the feds shouldn't be voicing any opinion in such a matter...

Also have you ever heard of diplomacy?

10 blacks can't even run a kfc right.How the hell is 1 gonna run this country?I'm not racist I just love my race!

who knows.. should he or should he not. does it matter nowadays?

He is going to build a kool aid factory next, after the KFC and watermelon patch.

Back