IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

The real world

Thread: The real world

A D M I N I S T R A T O R

Rep Points

The real world

Sometimes It scares me.

We need to start a budget and manage out money better. The only thing we are good at is paying bills. We will pay a bill 3 weeks before it's due. I don't know when I started this habit but I can't enjoy anything if I don't pay the bills first. I used to be opposite, I would have fun and worry about the bills later.

How do you prioritize and budget your money ? The expenses that can be adjusted like food, clothes, retirement investment, "fun" money....

Are there any books out that have good templates for budgeting ?

we have been talking about managing money better but I'm the type of person that has to have a plan written down before I can go through with something.
    " A cookie without sugar is just a cracker" ~ ancient voodoo proverb
    "A man with infinite patience is never left waiting."~ROID's past incarnation

BOARD REP

Rep Points

well your buying a home so now youll have a mortage payment, the rest is just wat you do now. put your money in a rothe account for retirement that dont take taxes bro. i dont know how good my spelling is on certain things so keep that in mind. the retirement plan is something u and the misses need to do right away so u live comfortable when u retire at watever you work for. a 401k is also a great idea me and my wife have all this rothe, 401k where they match everything you put in they put the same amount in. but you cant touch it. u can take it from job to job but it has some loop holes you have to do if when u start one place and go to another you just transfer the savings to your new job. kids education if u have a child i dont know. plus your money for pleasure, that we have a joint account in the bank for so it draws interest. but deal with credit unions whenever possible i dont know wat my wife has ours in bank or credit union. but i hope that helped. important: save now for your RETIRERMENT OR YOULL BE SORRY! good luck roid and misses.

all information given is fictional and only for entertainment purposes only. it is legal to use performance enhancement medications where i live. please seek medical advice before using any performance drug, and only if its legal in your country.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by unclem View Post
    well your buying a home so now youll have a mortage payment, the rest is just wat you do now. put your money in a rothe account for retirement that dont take taxes bro. i dont know how good my spelling is on certain things so keep that in mind. the retirement plan is something u and the misses need to do right away so u live comfortable when u retire at watever you work for. a 401k is also a great idea me and my wife have all this rothe, 401k where they match everything you put in they put the same amount in. but you cant touch it. u can take it from job to job but it has some loop holes you have to do if when u start one place and go to another you just transfer the savings to your new job. kids education if u have a child i dont know. plus your money for pleasure, that we have a joint account in the bank for so it draws interest. but deal with credit unions whenever possible i dont know wat my wife has ours in bank or credit union. but i hope that helped. important: save now for your RETIRERMENT OR YOULL BE SORRY! good luck roid and misses.
    shit bro, I wish we could go out right now and buy a home. it's going to be 12 to 18 months. by then I should have a good job, career type job.

I think the low prices for homes will stay the same for a while. At least for a year.

Rep Points

I very highly recommend you try following the Dave Ramsey style of handling money and budgeting. My wife and I are doing it and it's probably the best thing we have ever done. Paid off all our debits but the house and have 5 months expenses saved for emergencies.

He's got a lot of free stuff on his website, his books are in almost all local library's, he's got a national radio show you can listen to, or you can download a free hour of the radio show as a podcast in MP3 format. So if you can't find out how to learn about his style of handling money without spending anything for his book you aren't trying hard enough lol.

My post count isn't high enough to post a link so just google Dave Ramsey for his website.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ROID View Post
    Sometimes It scares me.

How do you prioritize and budget your money ? The expenses that can be adjusted like food, clothes, retirement investment, "fun" money....
    the only thing that really matters is to get yourself to a point where you can increase the % of your disposable income that is saved. for the most part you have to stop creating any new debt, especially revolving debt. and get yourself to a point where you can live below your means and increase your savings potential.

middle class wages have pretty much been stagnant in the US for the past 2 decades. which means on paper when you account for inflation, taxes, costs of goods and services, energy costs, etc. wages haven't increased for about 70% of wage earners in this country.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chattah View Post
    I very highly recommend you try following the Dave Ramsey style of handling money and budgeting. My wife and I are doing it and it's probably the best thing we have ever done. Paid off all our debits but the house and have 5 months expenses saved for emergencies.

He's got a lot of free stuff on his website, his books are in almost all local library's, he's got a national radio show you can listen to, or you can download a free hour of the radio show as a podcast in MP3 format. So if you can't find out how to learn about his style of handling money without spending anything for his book you aren't trying hard enough lol.

My post count isn't high enough to post a link so just google Dave Ramsey for his website.
    I've read a few of his books. He really isn't saying anything people don't already know. It takes a lot of will power to follow his philosophy. The end result of being debt free would be a hugh relief i'm sure

The only debt we have are my student loans and a very small monthly car payment. We are making payments for a reason but the car is 85% payed off .

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

shit bro, I wish we could go out right now and buy a home. it's going to be 12 to 18 months. by then I should have a good job, career type job.

I think the low prices for homes will stay the same for a while. At least for a year.
    several years the home prces haven't bottomed out yet...then it will take about 5 years to strat to climb so you have time bro ..same shit happen in the 80's took over 8 yaersfor the housing market to start to climb..plus with the housing bail out it just prolong the problem in about 1 1/2 all the 4closers will be done and then it will hit bottom..
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
    several years the home prces haven't bottomed out yet...then it will take about 5 years to strat to climb so you have time bro ..same shit happen in the 80's took over 8 yaersfor the housing market to start to climb..plus with the housing bail out it just prolong the problem in about 1 1/2 all the 4closers will be done and then it will hit bottom..
    That is good news for us. Not so good news for home owners. That is what those wankers get for trying to live the American dream anyway

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Look into squatters rights...or adverse possession

Start a Punk House, find an abandoned building you know has been neglected for years and invite some roomies to help take it over, fix it up a little by little inside and leave the outside trashed....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That is good news for us. Not so good news for home owners. That is what those wankers get for trying to live the American dream anyway
    well them no doc loans are to blame illegal mexicans ..make a fast buck..life go's on.. but its going to get worse before it gets better...so good for people that played and saved there loot so u should come out ahead. most people are underwater in there mortgages.. but..oh well
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Rep Points

That is good news for us.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

several years the home prices haven't bottomed out yet...then it will take about 5 years to strait to climb so you have time bro ..same shit happen in the 80's took over 8 years the housing market to start to climb..plus with the housing bail out it just prolong the problem in about 1 1/2 all the 4closers will be done and then it will hit bottom..
    The US economy has been slowing ever since WWII and the economy's of over countries has been catching up to the US. middle class wages have pretty much been stagnant for the past several decades. when you account for inflation, increases in various taxes, increases in the cost of goods and services, etc. the income the average middle income wage earner makes the same amount of money as they did back in the mid 70's but everything cost much more now.

If you go to the chart below and look at the section titled: "Personal saving as a percentage of disposable personal income"

U.S. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Economic Analysis

What this shows is basically how much money people have to save after paying for housing, energy, taxes, etc. That number has been steadily declining for decades. the US economy runs off the consumption of good and service by the middle class. since middle class wages have stayed stagnant the middle class has been getting deeper and deeper into debt to continue spending and consumption. This is where the various housing Bills, etc. come into play during the Clinton years and after. Basically the gov needed to "invent" an economy so the middle class could continue spending. But to make a long story short US citizens where using their homes as ATM's and pulling out equity at alarming alarm rates. For the most part the US in in debt and there is no real current answer to this problem. For the most part people burden with financial debt and extreme revolving debt balances are now working for the banking industry.

The society here in the US is very "Id" based..everyone wants what they want now and they don't want to wait to get it. back in the 70's you had to save 20% for a down payment as 100% financing wasn't even an option. Common sense tells you that if you can't save the money for the down payment then you can't afford to own a home. But here in the US everyone wants the big family, the big house and the new cars every couple of year and they want it now and that mentality has cost us dearly. For the most part all but those in the top 20% of wager earners in the country are fucked because everyone else spends the majority of their money on living and does not have enough savings for investment. In this day and age a person would want to save the minimum of 10% of the personal disposable income.

The US need to go back to the times when cash was king and credit was used sparingly. People need to start living below their means and not above it. We also need to move away from keynesian borrowing (when the US gov borrows money from other countries at low interest rates) and move to a fiat money system.

Another thing that goes along with the current spending habits in this country are unrealistic wage expectations. people think that they can run up big revolving debts and then pay it off with monies from "pay increases" years down the road but that's not the way it happens in reality. inflation and the increasing costs of goods & services consume the small living wage increases that some and not even all get today. for the most part if you are broke now you will be broke 10 years from now unless you eliminate current debt and not create any new debt while somehow increasing the income by a rate of at least double that of inflation.
    Last edited by LAM; 08-20-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    The US economy has been slowing ever since WWII and the economy's of over countries has been catching up to the US. middle class wages have pretty much been stagnant for the past several decades. when you account for inflation, increases in various taxes, increases in the cost of goods and services, etc. the income the average middle income wage earner makes the same amount of money as they did back in the mid 70's but everything cost much more now.

If you go to the chart below and look at the section titled: "Personal saving as a percentage of disposable personal income"

U.S. Department of Commerce. Bureau of Economic Analysis

What this shows is basically how much money people have to save after paying for housing, energy, taxes, etc. That number has been steadily declining for decades. the US economy runs off the consumption of good and service by the middle class. since middle class wages have stayed stagnant the middle class has been getting deeper and deeper into debt to continue spending and consumption. This is where the various housing Bills, etc. come into play during the Clinton years and after. Basically the gov needed to "invent" an economy so the middle class could continue spending. But to make a long story short US citizens where using their homes as ATM's and pulling out equity at alarming alarm rates. For the most part the US in in debt and there is no real current answer to this problem. For the most part people burden with financial debt and extreme revolving debt balances are now working for the banking industry.

The society here in the US is very "Id" based..everyone wants what they want now and they don't want to wait to get it. back in the 70's you had to save 20% for a down payment as 100% financing wasn't even an option. Common sense tells you that if you can't save the money for the down payment then you can't afford to own a home. But here in the US everyone wants the big family, the big house and the new cars every couple of year and they want it now and that mentality has cost us dearly. For the most part all but those in the top 20% of wager earners in the country are fucked because everyone else spends the majority of their money on living and does not have enough savings for investment. In this day and age a person would want to save the minimum of 10% of the personal disposable income.

The US need to go back to the times when cash was king and credit was used sparingly. People need to start living below their means and not above it. We also need to move away from keynesian borrowing (when the US gov borrows money from other countries at low interest rates) and move to a fiat money system.

Another thing that goes along with the current spending habits in this country are unrealistic wage expectations. people think that they can run up big revolving debts and then pay it off with monies from "pay increases" years down the road but that's not the way it happens in reality. inflation and the increasing costs of goods & services consume the small living wage increases that some and not even all get today. for the most part if you are broke now you will be broke 10 years from now unless you eliminate current debt and not create any new debt while somehow increasing the income by a rate of at least double that of inflation.
    And u believe the commerce dept...well good for you..having been in the trenches when al this shit hit both time i can say i know more than a paper pusher..it will take years but...eather way i'll make some loot off of this ..but roid wwait and see the next quarter it will drop some more..
    on a side not people libe beyond there means..thats why most are in deep shit

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

And u believe the commerce dept...well good for you..having been in the trenches when al this shit hit both time i can say i know more than a paper pusher..it will take years but...eather way i'll make some loot off of this ..but roid wwait and see the next quarter it will drop some more..
    on a side not people libe beyond there means..thats why most are in deep shit
    why which federal agency do you get your personal income data from the Department of Land Management? lol...

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

when it happen send me a 20$ starbucks coffee card