25% Off Black Friday Sale

Anything Learned (Besides the Obvious?) DPW?

Rep Points

Anything Learned (Besides the Obvious?) DPW?

I'll try to be brief....I've had pneumonia and not been training or eating well. At first I wasn't eating very much at all. Now the last 2 weeks or so I've been eating but totally off my eating plan.

When I say totally off I mean not getting nearly enough protein, not logging or tracking meals, going too long between meals and eating bad carb choices such as bread and pasta on occassion.

Not once have I pigged out or had fast food or true desert. I know about the sugar in carbs but just to let people know - I haven't been eating pizza and burgers and brownies at all.

Now that I'm feeling better from the pneumonia I'm really feeling like crap from the bad eating and not training. It's so freaking depressing.

Here's the thing....my clothes still fit but I've lost ALL my visible muscle and gained a TON of fat. It truly doesn't seem possible that I could gain so much fat in a few weeks without ever pigging out. My arms are soft - my waist is wider and I've got freaking "dents" back on the back of my legs. I know - nasty!

It's so discouraging but it's also confusing me that I could lose so much muscle and gain fat so fast. I think I look worse than I did before I got back into training and eating well (and then I WAS eating brownies and pizza)

Does this tell me anything about my insulin resisitance (and whether I have it or not)

Was the fact that I was sick a factor in me losing so much muscle and getting squishy faster than I would have thought possible?

ARGH. I hate feeling like this. Hate Hate Hate it. Rant over (for now)
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
    If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- 14th Dalai Lama

My Little Man

Rep Points

I'm no expert but just wanted to say I know how you feel. When I'm out for more than 3 days unless planned I start to feel like I've lost control of my whole life. Luckily, that hasn't happened for about a year now (unplanned rest that is !).

Possibly, your immune system was working extra hard during your illness which may account for loss of muscle.

Best you can do is look forward to getting to where your were and then going beyond that. Sometimes these unplanned breaks can up your motivation even more than before.

Rep Points

Re: Anything Learned (Besides the Obvious?) DPW?

Originally posted by nikegurl
    I'll try to be brief....I've had pneumonia and not been training or Now the last 2 weeks or so I've been eating but totally off my eating plan.

Does this tell me anything about my insulin resisitance (and whether I have it or not)
    NG, we hope you are feeling better.

Two things....First, it is NOT an "eating plan".....it's a "Life Style Plan"

Second, Yes, it's a LIFE STYLE PLAN because you are somewhat..(but not tremendously) insulin resistant

DPw8

Rep Points

Get yourself some SUPER CLA with Guarana and start training again. All the fat build-up will be converted to muscle building energy. You can read more about it over at...

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag96/nprodjul96.html

Oh, and St.Johns Wort is excellent for giving one a positive attitude toward improvement.
    I have been trying to make a picture of a
    woman. Changing, yes. Developing, I
    hope. Fantastic, improbable-perhaps.
    Quite worthless, quite irritating, if you feel
    that way. Or a slightly cockeyed ideal, if
    you feel differently. It doesn't matter so
    much, so long as you feel that you would
    recognise her if you met her tomorrow.

--Leslie Charteris, 1939