Use Coupon Code SPOOK25 for 25% Discount!

Can training my abs make me look fat?

renewbie

Rep Points

Can training my abs make me look fat?

Ok, it may sound stupid but let me explain. I've been training for around 5 months and I've been making gains in all departments - my arms and shoulders are larger, my chest has become more defined, and my stomach, although when I tense my abs them I can feel that they are rock hard, still looks fat. I'm very pleased with my body's appearance is developing, but the 'belly' spoils it all.
    I know having a '6-Pack' is all down to body fat %. I don't know what mine is - I know it's too high for developing a 6-pack, but this isn't what I want. Although I've become good at controlling my diet, I'm not focusing on getting my BF% down that low. What I want (for now) is getting my torso into a V-shape - wide shoulders, chest/back and a tapering waist.
    Anyway, to get to my point, I've started to think that (because I don't have an insanely low BF%), by training my abs I am making my lower torso wider, which is not what I want for a V-shaped torso.

So is this reasoning correct? Should I turn down my ab training so that in contrast my chest will stick out more?
    Or will it look rediculous? Should I try to get my BF% down so that my abs show through?

Thanks to all who can answer this
    John C.
    No one will push you harder than you.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

Fit Freak
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Keep training your abs. It is unlikely that they will develop enough to cause your stomach to protrude. I would suggest that as your BF% decreases so will your waist size. If your BF% has been elevated for some time you will probably lose a lot of internal BF as well as subcutaneous BF thus making you waist much smaller as you lean out.

Good luck, keep training the abs hard, and be patient. If you eat clean and continue adding lean body mass without excessive BF accumulation over time the cicumferance of your waist will decrease.
    Searching for the right balance...

Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Ab muscles are a wall more than a huge muscle hanging around like a bicep, so definately keep training the abs, they support your back too!

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

If you want a six pack and a better v-shape you need to get leaner, and 80% of getting lean is your diet.

As far as your waist looking wider, training your obliques with weights would ultimately increase your waist size.

What is your goal? Are you trying to get bigger, or is your goal to be lean?

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Rep Points

Thumbs up

i agree w/ everyone, keep eating clean and training hard, you will see results! watch the diet, it's about 70% of what keeps you lookin', developing and feeling great! good luck! ali
    N/A

renewbie

Rep Points

Arrow

Are you trying to get bigger, or is your goal to be lean?
    Somewhere in between: as I've only recently started bodybuilding, my muscles are not as big as I'd like them, but at the same time I don't want to 'bulk up', but rather I want more definition all-round.

Although I always eat 'clean', my carb intake is probably on the high side (even though they're always complex carbs). I'll re-arrange my diet a bit to reduce the amount of carbohydrates, and become a bit more lean.

Thanks
    John C.
    No one will push you harder than you.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" - Socrates

Rep Points

i am actually trying to be more lean. my problem area is my legs. i am about 5 feet maybe5'1 and even in my heavier days my abs have been flat and cut. although through the years i've noitced the better i eat the more fluid i drink, the better my mid section looks. so, try and keep the eating clean and the sugar low and you will see results. keep a food diary, be honest, you will see good results!
    N/A

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah1 View Post
    There is no reality in it don't consider it in your mind.
    just concentrate on your work, I am sure you will fully chase your target to lose the weight and to maintain the health.

Negged...for resurrecting an old ass thread to say that nonsense, but you're really not negged because "there's no reality in it". "Don't consider it in your mind."

Doucher...

Rep Points

The core muscles are primarily supporting the whole mid-section of your torso, but they also are responsible for pulling your stomach inwards towards your spine. How many abdominal exercises do you know of actually pull in your abs rather than build them. Have you noticed how many top professional bodybuilders have a distended six-pack – a set of well-developed abs that seems to bulge out as far as a pot belly when relaxed? That is sometimes the result of building abs and neglecting the core muscles. Do not underestimate the importance of isometric exercises and the abdominal vacuum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

Death to the bumper! Death to the bumper!!!
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaba View Post
    Death to the bumper! Death to the bumper!!!
    lol

Rep Points

So is this reasoning correct? Should I turn down my ab training so that in contrast my chest will stick out more?
    Or will it look rediculous? Should I try to get my BF% down so that my abs show through?

MuscleBoundGeek

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brent87st View Post

Full body training including abs plus cardio plus clean diet will lean you up and then decide whether to add a little here or there....JMTC
    Anything I post on this board is based on Fantasy and Science Fiction...and stuff I may or may not have read somewhere else...

Rep Points

can training my abs make me look fat

Not really, the most likeliest cause is visceral fat. Lower you body-fat percentage through dieting and high intensity interval training and abs specific and core exercises, which tighten the stomach. Try an exercise called the abdominal vacuum which will pull your abs inwards.
    Check out this article for tips... Using Isometric Exercises for Abdominal training | The LoveSexyAbs Blog

Rep Points

Yes there is no confusion in it that it really makes the results.
    But one thing is really important to note that we must be regular and consistent if we are interested to get the results.