• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

New lifter, Having troubles, Need some help

dbd

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
I have just started to begin weight lifting. I am not strong, and not afraid to admit it but i would definitely like to start getting bigger. I am having trouble doing squats. Even just standing up i can not bend down while keeping my weight back to a parallel position. I actually can barely bend at all. Is this a flexibility issue or just due to lack of strength? Thanks for any advice

Welcome to the forums!

The Squat is a very technical lift, so don't worry if you don't get it straight away. Congratulations for wanting to do them at all - they're one of the most taxing (and most rewarding) exercises you'll ever do for mass, strength, and fitness gains.

Do you have problems squatting with just your bodyweight?

Do you have any means of posting a video of your squat form? This would help immensely with correcting any problems you have. A video from the side in good lighting so we can see upper and lower body would be perfect.

Lastly, what have you been reading/watching on the web to learn the squat in the first place?

Yes, I cannot do a squat to parallel with just my bodyweight without shifting my weight forward, which I learned was incorrect form. I was taught how to do squat by a trainer at a football team workout. I do not have a means to posting video at the moment, but I will try to soon.

your core is weak that is why you are having problems squatting. you need to strengthen your abdominals and lower back

Exercise & Muscle Directory

Thank you. Im starting to try to develop a workout, but don't know really where to start. My goals really are to gain weight and size as I am currently 16 years old, about 6 foot tall 145 lbs. I heard squats are important to adding weight and size, so I am trying to learn the right form for everything before I really start lifting. Are their specific lifts I should try to do for increasing my mass rather then getting cut?

Thank you. Im starting to try to develop a workout, but don't know really where to start. My goals really are to gain weight and size as I am currently 16 years old, about 6 foot tall 145 lbs. I heard squats are important to adding weight and size, so I am trying to learn the right form for everything before I really start lifting. Are their specific lifts I should try to do for increasing my mass rather then getting cut?

you basically want to train like a power-lifter but eat like a bodybuilder. you want to focus on compound exercises like the squat, dead lift, bench press, over heard press, bent over row, etc.

compound exercises utilize muscles across two joints allowing more weight to be used to stimulate the target muscles. isolation exercises only utilize muscles across one joint, use these to supplement your compound exercise based routine.

first decide how many days a week you want to devote to resistance training then design a program to suite that.

Before I go to these lifts with more weight should I increase the strength of my core and lower back as you said earlier?

The best thing for you to do right now is to take a video of your form and post it so that we can try to help you.

Most young men have the strength to squat their own bodyweight, but sedentary lifestyles really take away our natural flexibility. A lot of people have inflexible hamstrings and hip flexors which really detracts from their squatting form.

Also, start reading:
Falling Forward in the Squat
How to Squat Correctly for Maximum Strength Gains | StrongLifts.com
Teaching the Squat By Jim Wendler For EliteFTS  I have been going to Force Training Seminars
T NATION | Squatting from Head to Toe

I will post a video as soon as I can. But I do have very inflexible hamstrings and hip flexors. I have been working on the hamstrings but I don't know what streches to use for the hip flexors.

Before I go to these lifts with more weight should I increase the strength of my core and lower back as you said earlier?

you want to train all of your muscles equally as they all work in pairs. right now because your core is weak it will limit your ability to squat but don't stop squatting because of that. as you build up your core you will be able to squat more

biceps and triceps bending and straightening the elbow
deltoids and lattisimus dorsi lifting the arm and lowering the arm
pectorals and trapezius moving the arms/shoulders forward and backward (arms are held horizontal and shoulder high for this movement)
abdominals and erector spinae bending the spine forward and backward
quadriceps and hamstrings bending and straightening of the knee
hip abductors and adductors moving the legs apart and together
gastrocnemius and tibialis anterior standing on your toes or pulling your toes up toward your shin
iliopsoas and gluteals lifting the knee or moving the knee backward

the 2 leading causes of injury in this sport are from:

* resistance training is a very safe sport if you only remember the following. and that is to never sacrifice form for weight.

* muscle imbalances. lower back injuries are common is this sport because a lot of people neglect the lower back early on. many people do tons and tons of abs but do not train the lower back directly and/or equally. using a belt on certain exercises should only be needed when training loads are at or near 85% of the 1RM (one rep maximum).

IML Gear Cream!
dbd, take a look at the link in my sig on "getting started" - there's a link to "goblet squats" - that may help you figure out your form.

Props for wanting to do squats as beginner. As a newbie your body will respond very quickly to lifting and the squat is the grand-daddy of lifts.

I have flexability issues also however there is a stretching exercise that I do everytime before I squat and now I can squat well past parallel with a nice weight.

Try putting your feet into squatting position, squat down as far as your body will go and relax, you will feel this stretching you hamstrings and glutes. Then put your elbows on the insides of you knees and put the palms of your hands together and push your elbows outward really hard to stretch your legs apart and hold for about 30 seconds at a time.

I was taught this when I first started squatting and I noticed great results in no time at all.

Good luck.

Props for wanting to do squats as beginner. As a newbie your body will respond very quickly to lifting and the squat is the grand-daddy of lifts.

I very much agree and I recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Try putting your feet into squatting position, squat down as far as your body will go and relax, you will feel this stretching you hamstrings and glutes. Then put your elbows on the insides of you knees and put the palms of your hands together and push your elbows outward really hard to stretch your legs apart and hold for about 30 seconds at a time.

This is also an excellent drill for rehearsing the (more or less) proper position at the bottom of the squat.

I will post a video as soon as I can. But I do have very inflexible hamstrings and hip flexors. I have been working on the hamstrings but I don't know what streches to use for the hip flexors.

There is a thread stickied at the top of this forum that deals with stretching and flexibility. It has a lot of good information in it and I read it often. I would suggest reading that.

Specifically, work on hip hinging for now. If you can fully hip hinge you should have enough flexibility to squat past parallel. Don't worry about setting up your feet with a wide stance - that can place a lot of stress on the hip flexors and it isn't really necessary.

Also, start playing sports and in general try to increase your activity levels if you can. A lot of people develop inflexibility in their hips because they're seated all day and don't get a chance to stretch out those hip flexors and hamstrings. The more active you stay, the faster your flexibility will develop.

Good luck and major props for wanting to gain some size.

Back