• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

2 upper 1 lower a week

Jacko-Wolves

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
ok well i am 5ft9....and weight about 150lb ish... I want to create a new workout to help build solid mass...

I was thinking off:

Monday - Upper
Bench Press - 3 sets
Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets
Bent Over Rows - 3 sets
Clean and Press - 3 sets
Shrugs - 2 sets

Wednesday - Lower
Back Squats - 4 sets
Front squats - 4 sets
Calf Raise - 3 sets
Leg Curls - 2 sets
Lying Leg Raise - 2 sets

Friday - Upper
Deadlift - 3 sets
Milatry Press - 3 sets
Incline Dumbell Press - 3 Sets
Weighted Chin ups/Pulls ups - 3 sets
Weighted Press ups - 3 sets
Tricep Extenions - 2 sets

i would appricate any feedback and thanks in advanced for looking

Ive decided gone for Lower once a week because the legs will get a little workout from Deadlifts and clean and press on upper day

ok well i am 5ft9....and weight about 150lb ish... I want to create a new workout to help build solid mass...

I was thinking off:

Monday - Upper Horizontal Push/Pull
Bench Press
Incline DB Chest Press
Bent Over Rows
DB Bench Rows

Wednesday - Lower Push
Back Squats
Front squats
DB Bulgarian Split Squats
Calf Raise

Friday - Upper Vertical Push/Pull
Milatry Press
Weighted Chin ups
Corner Press
Pulls ups

Saturday or Sunday -Lower Pull
Deadlifts
Unilateral DB Romanian Deadlifts
Clean and Press

Here are some tweaks. Just a quick, rough sketch of something I would go for; more organized and balanced.

I think both plans (yours and Phineas') are good. I'd really think about increasing your food intake and cut out most of your cardio.

:thumb:

Phineas, why the clean and press on leg day? Wouldn't power cleans be more appropriate?

Sorry if that's a stupid question :wacko:

u can ask phineas or gazhole or flathead as there powlifters. i would let them chime in for your best advice.

Phineas, why the clean and press on leg day? Wouldn't power cleans be more appropriate?

Sorry if that's a stupid question :wacko:

Well, you're right to wonder because the clean and press is two completely separate movements. It's a clean followed by a push press. I put it on lower pull for two reasons:

(1.) Unlike the clean and jerk (which is an entirely different, and much more technical lift), the clean and press is more centered around the clean portion. In my opinion, if you can clean the weight, you should have no problem push pressing it. While you can't necessarily classify cleans as a particular plane of motion or muscle group -- as it's a triple-extension lift with several different phases during the lift -- most would argue it's more of a lower pulling exercise. The first pull of a clean is essentially a very fast, explosive deadlift. In the past I've always argued to put hang cleans as a vertical push for their well-documented effects on shoulder hypertrophy, but a full clean involves the posterior chain even more than hang cleans. In the context of bodybuilding you can put dynamic speed lifts just about anywhere, but I think any type of full clean would fit nicely in a deadlift session.

(2.) Despite which muscles do what in the lift, cleans are very much a full-body lift. As far as strength lifts go, deadlifts will have very similar effects for strength/power/hypertrophy. They're both very productive lifts for your posterior chain (hams, glutes, spinal erectors, lats, rhomboids, traps, core, rear delts -- and basically includes the forearms (for performing the lifts)...this is basically you're entire backside).

Also, yes power cleans or hang cleans would be more appropriate, but the OP listed clean and press. When I critique programs I try to keep as many original elements as possible, so it doesn't seem so condescending. And hey, it's not like the push press is a strict press anyway. It's just as much legs/back as it shoulders -- if not more, lol.

Balancing my program is the best thing I picked up from this site. Yet so many people won't even try it.

Same.

The biggest impact this forum has had on me is tracking diet and lower body trianing. Before I started to become more active on this board, I could bench more than I could squat and deadlift. Sad to say, I was a bro back then.

Now, I'm the anti-bro! Shut your god damn mouth and do some squats!!!!

IML Gear Cream!
Same.

The biggest impact this forum has had on me is tracking diet and lower body trianing. Before I started to become more active on this board, I could bench more than I could squat and deadlift. Sad to say, I was a bro back then.

Now, I'm the anti-bro! Shut your god damn mouth and do some squats!!!!

A while back I got royally reamed on here because I said anybody who could bench press more than they could squat wasn't doing enough leg work. Glad to see at least somebody agrees with my opinion. :thumb:

A while back I got royally reamed on here because I said anybody who could bench press more than they could squat wasn't doing enough leg work. Glad to see at least somebody agrees with my opinion. :thumb:

Really? Who gave you shit for that? No way it was a regular member. Pushing for more lower body work is probably this board's reputation.

I agree with you completely.

In the days I mentioned of my higher bench to squat I was deadlifting with EZ Bars, haha. Oh man I can't believe some of the shit I did in my beginner period. I remember being so mesmorized with the broskies at my gym who were doing preacher curls and all that shit. I copied everything they did. So much upper body work.

It's funny to look at my original posts when I joined here. I was asking all the same questions our newbs ask, lol. I got flamed many times. I was all about the inner bicep, upper pec, build muscle and lose fat nonsense. Over time I did more research and one by one I had to come to terms with my gym dogma. When broskies throw shit in the wind it very easily hits others' faces, and I was smothered and stinky. I rememember all the major milestones from going from a bro to an actual lifter:

(1.) Splitting legs into twice a week for pushing and pulling.

(2.) Ridding myself of muscle group training for upper body, and switching to push/pull training.

(3.) ELIMINATING ISOLATION (except for calf work, of course :D )

(4.) Accepting that my squat ROM was pussy. Adopted box squats to learn to squat to and/or below parallel. Took months to relearn the lift at that depth.

(5.) Accepting that deadlifts ARE NOT BACK TRAINING. Learning the proper mechanics and applying the knowledge to my lift immediately added about 30 lbs to my deadlift in one session. Yes, this is actually true. Last November.

(6.) Writing my first planned program, and not just what exercises I do. Using proper periodization for the first time, and setting actual goals.

(7.) Used my first program to assess specific weakpoints (Built wrote it for me, was a block training program...worked awesome!)

(8.) Realized diet cycling was part of this. Did my first cut.

(9.) Biggest milestone of all: TRACKED MY DIET FOR THE FIRST TIME, AND USE IT TO THIS DAY. Ever since doing this my progress has skyrocketed beyond belief. I truly now understand that diet is more than training. I'll argue that to the death. I never realized my potential until I started to really appreciate and utilize the diet formulae to fuel my body to maximum efficiency. I'm a fucking machine now.

(10.) Incorporated weekly grip/GPP sessions (you know this is Gaz's doing..)

(11.) And my most recent milestone is that I've been thoroughly researching powerlifting and applying those principles to my powerlifting, which starts each session in my hybrid bodybuilding/powerlifting volume program. I'm making PRs literally every session.

I guess since I'm reflecting here it puts it all in perspective...briefly, at least. So far it's been a very brutal, expensive, intensive, time-consuming two years of training where I went from a unhealthy, unhappy, skinny, destroyed distance runner into a strong, healthy, happy, dedicated bodybuilder and now turning powerlifter. Hell, I'm even better at running for distances up to about 10km than I was at my running peak, yet I have a shit ton of muscle mass now. I love this sport, I love this healthy lifestyle, I love improving myself physically, emotionally, etc. It's a hell of a lot of work, but I wouldn't have it any other way. There's nothing more rewarding than dedicating everything in you for a cause and seeing nothing but positive results form that hard work. This is more than just a passtime, hobby, sport, whatever. It's my way of life, and I'll do anything to encourage others to reach their potential. Anyone can accomplish anything if they just give an honest effort.

So, thank you ironmagazine forums and all its amazing members who have helped me over the last near-two years now in working towards my life-long dreams. You all have changed my life so profoundly, and you all do it out of the goodness of your hearts. This board kicks ass!

Okay, enough of this sappy shit, I'm leaving work an hour early. I'm gonna go down some fucking potatoes, and go make a 5 rep PR on deadlifts!

Last edited:
Back