Volume, Intensity, and Periodization for Strongmen and GPP-oriented training

Rep Points

Volume, Intensity, and Periodization for Strongmen and GPP-oriented training

All my of my training knowledge pertrains to strength training and powerlifting. When it comes to stuff like sandbag work, atlas stones, etc, I know a shit ton of exercises, I know the mechanics of the lifts, yada yada, but I have absolutely no clue on how to use them intelligently for performance.

This is where you come in. I like to plan months in advance now for my programs. I have two months left on my current volume program, then cut for a month, then I'm going to do some straight up power lifting for a couple months or so, then I plan on doing something completely new: strongman and GPP training.

I'm not looking to put together a program yet. I'm working on my powerlifting program as we speak, but I would like to start getting the basics down on how to train this way. I'm not looking to enter any competitions at the moment (though, that's definitely an attractive thought), but it's something I've wanted to do for quite some time now.

I'm thinking a conjugated approach to training, where I'll have maybe one maintenance strength/power lifting workout at the gym each week and then the rest to be in the way of sandbag work, farmers walks, tire flips, etc. I was thinking of even picking up a prowler down the road. Basically, I have a very rough idea of this and I'm looking for people smarter than me in this area to educate me on how to use this training productive to make me stronger, faster, more efficient, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Rep Points

Oh, I forgot, the reason I want to do this type of training -- aside from general conditioning/strengthening and some fun -- is to greatly improve grip and posterior chain strength, which most of these lifts tend to focus on.

Greg

Rep Points

Do you have a specific meet in mind?

Generally what you want to do is start with more general work and less specific work, then taper your general work and add specific work.

So you may start out with a lot of squats, deadlifts, presses, and cleans with a bit of event training mixed in. You do this for about a month to continue to build your strength and get yourself accustomed to the competition events. Then you slowly add more competition event training and cut back on your general training.

That's the general idea of it anyway. If you have no specific meet in mind, why not just train the strongman lifts on off days?