• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

farmers walk

stepaukas

Banned Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
phineas
how far are you walking with the bells without setting them down?
you getting stronger at this exercise?

Anyway, I've only done it twice. Did the first one 3 weeks ago, but then I just finished a week deloading. The first two were trial runs because I didn't know how well I'd be able to handle the session; I wanted to figure out how I was going to go about doing it (volume training plus half-marathon training, then the grip session).

The first session I tried with my training partner taking turns going for 400m runs, which worked well, but wasn't challenging enough.

Second session I did solo, and walked the 1 mile in one go. I didn't record anything since it was still trial run, but right off the bat I made it 300m before I needed to reset. I was averaging about 100-150m in between resets. The last lap I dropped to about 50m. The mile took me 22-23 minutes. I bought a new digital watch, but I need to figure out the chrono timer function.

Just finished deloading, and am now on my third cycle of the volume program, and with one month to my race. I'll be doing the grip session probably tonight. I'm starting to record resets now. And yes, the second session was already an overwhelming improvement from week one.

Would be an interesting method of gauging progress by trying to decrease the number of resets while keeping under a certain time limit or something.

Also, are you doing it with KB or DB by the way?

I see grip works seems to be en vogue. I'm a fan of it but I'm wondering what you are all doing it for?

Just personal achievement or are you using it towards holding onto the bar on deadlift/pulling work?

Would be an interesting method of gauging progress by trying to decrease the number of resets while keeping under a certain time limit or something.

Also, are you doing it with KB or DB by the way?

That is what I'm doing. I didn't record for the first two because they were trial runs. I wanted to figure out the best way to approach this. Grip resets are a factor, but ultimately I'm aiming for the fastest time possible, without resorting to running. The other factor I'm working on is making the resets as quick as possible. I noticed I don't need long rests; I basically just need to literally reset my grip (for my palms) then get going again. I can take the forearm and trap pain all day, but eventually my fingers start to slip.

They're kettlebells. A pair of 60 lb'ers, for a total of 120 lbs.

I see grip works seems to be en vogue. I'm a fan of it but I'm wondering what you are all doing it for?

Just personal achievement or are you using it towards holding onto the bar on deadlift/pulling work?

Aside from GPP, my goal is grip endurance. That's always been my weakness, but especially with my volume program I've been using for 2 months now it becomes an issue.

In December I'm going to be starting full-on powerlifting training. I'm going to add an additional grip session in the gym where I'll train static grip for heavier loads.

Also, it's just fun. There's nothing wrong with additional conditioning. Farmers walks are a very practical exercise. They help with full-body strength, not just grip. By the end my quads and calves are fatigued as well.

Personally not only a new and interesting challenge, but i seem to be pretty good at it so i'm going to run with it as far as i can, lol.

Theres a lot to be said for never having to need straps, or never having a problem with heavy deadlifts and stuff. I've also found wrist strength has helped military and bench press quite a bit.

That is what I'm doing. I didn't record for the first two because they were trial runs. I wanted to figure out the best way to approach this. Grip resets are a factor, but ultimately I'm aiming for the fastest time possible, without resorting to running. The other factor I'm working on is making the resets as quick as possible. I noticed I don't need long rests; I basically just need to literally reset my grip (for my palms) then get going again. I can take the forearm and trap pain all day, but eventually my fingers start to slip.

They're kettlebells. A pair of 60 lb'ers, for a total of 120 lbs.

Sounds good to me!

KBs are so much easier to use because the handles are higher off the ground. I don't particularly want to have to do a deep deadlift every time i reset, lol. Stupid dumbells.

Personally not only a new and interesting challenge, but i seem to be pretty good at it so i'm going to run with it as far as i can, lol.

Theres a lot to be said for never having to need straps, or never having a problem with heavy deadlifts and stuff. I've also found wrist strength has helped military and bench press quite a bit.

Even the trap strength developed and leg/back element would help your posterior chain. I see farmers walks as a great accessory exercise for deads and cleans.

Even the trap strength developed and leg/back element would help your posterior chain. I see farmers walks as a great accessory exercise for deads and cleans.

I was talking about grip training in general, but yeah i agree. Traps exploded when i was doing regular farmers walks.

IML Gear Cream!
Ya I agree with both of you all on all points. I do a bunch of grip work on cardio/GPP days and when my training partner's routine goes longer than mine.

I'm a huge fan of high rep kroc rows (grab like a 100lb DB and do like 25 or 30 for each arm) for my grip. It's really great. You can see how well your progressing by how well you can keep the DB parallel to the ground. Great overall movement too. Doesn't look terribly taxing but it really does a number on your whole body.

Phineas, what are you going to be doing for your powerlifting?

Kroc rows are one weird-ass exercise. One of those things that more people should give a try.

Are we talking about the same movement?

YouTube Video

Apparently so...

I thought Kroc rows were the ones where you do a row while in a free standing lunge position, lol.

My bad.

What the hell is that exercise called. I've been calling them Kroc rows for months :roflmao:

haha they are the rows that Matt Kroczaleski is doing in that video -- describe them however you'd like. They are, by far, my favorite assistance movement.

Gaz -- i've never actually seen/heard of that but I couldn't imagine doing much weight if my back knee was suspended in the air. If the back knee was on the ground, I couldn't imagine getting much of a ROM. Perhaps we can call them Gaz Rows, though.

Anyone ever do Farmer's walks with two loaded barbells on either side of you? Haha, the gym at my university has a lot of good equipment but no kb's. I guess I could just use dumbells

I'm limited to dumbells and a relatively short walk from one end of the gym to the other, so it's just a matter of how many laps back and forth I do of a relatively unknown distance. But hey, it's a start. Never did them before until a couple weeks ago and they are killer.

Just did this week's session in the dark and rain with traps already fatigued from deads, power cleans, military press, and shrugs yesterday. :nerd:

Result: 1 mile @ BW (195 lbs) + 120 lbs (two 60 lb kettlebells) - 21:00 even with 16 grip resets.

I wasn't recording yet in my last session, but my previous time was 23-25 minutes, so this week was a major improvement.

Traps are only a little sore. My palms and fingers took the most beating. I'm having trouble closing my hand, typing (lol), and even taking off my hoody when I came in. I`m especially having trouble moving my ring finger on my left hand.

IML Gear Cream!
how far did you go before you had to put the 120#'s down? thats the part you want to try and improve on the most.
what'll help your grip is hanging on a pullup bar. just hang there as long as you can. time those too.

how far did you go before you had to put the 120#'s down? thats the part you want to try and improve on the most.
what'll help your grip is hanging on a pullup bar. just hang there as long as you can. time those too.

Well, I did note that, but for my purposes I'm not so interested in that. When I'm fresh I can last almost an entire lap, like in workouts my grip is significantly stronger at first. I'm using the miler for grip endurance, which is why my goal is ultimately shortest time, and fewer resets as a secondary goal.

Back