Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Education Industrial Complex: Student Debt

Brief, but very concise. Does this affect you?
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rep Points

yes let the govt pay for it then work for them they will forgive the debt and passit to the tax payer...
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

No, doesn't affect me. I stopped taking student loans my Sophmore year and rather took money from my internship to pay what I would have borrowed. The first thing I did when I graduated was pay off the high interest rate loan I had (8%).

All I have left now is a loan at like 2% which costs me net like 50$ interest per year after you figure the difference between my savings interest rate and the rate I'm charged. I have no incentive to pay that one off early.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rep Points

If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

this is one of the effects of middle class pay basically remaining stagnant for decades. parents can no longer afford to save for their childrens education to the child is forced to accrue great debt to pay for it themselves.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Rep Points

Education in this country is way over priced. And anyone who has even taken one college class knows that the books are a complete rip off. You can end up paying $500 for a book. It's a complete joke, if you ask me.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by vortrit View Post
    Education in this country is way over priced. And anyone who has even taken one college class knows that the books are a complete rip off. You can end up paying $500 for a book. It's a complete joke, if you ask me.
    that's the way it has always been. I remember paying $300 for certain books way back my freshman year in '86.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    that's the way it has always been. I remember paying $300 for certain books way back my freshman year in '86.
    I finished in 2003 and I was averaging $250 per book, and I'm sure they've went up since then.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Agree with LAM and Vortrit,

And this is the first time ever that student loan debt is larger than credit card debt, for the whole of the nation.

Now, just think about how big this is.

I was lucky, bein at Uni from 1998-93.

Absolute disgrace to the younger generation.

Like the one of the last quotes in that video:

"Education is the best investment you'll ever make."

And many companies, even companies hiring for job that don't involve security or finances are checking FICO scores.

If a young grad misses a payment or more in this economy, it's reflects on their credit.

When and why does a person's value as an employee in the job market depend on the FICO score? Car insurance, and other companies check it now.

The land of the all-might FICO score.

Luckily mine is high.
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smoothy View Post
    Agree with LAM and Vortrit,

And this is the first time ever that student loan debt is larger than credit card debt, for the whole of the nation.

Now, just think about how big this is.

I was lucky, bein at Uni from 1998-93.

Absolute disgrace to the younger generation.

Like the one of the last quotes in that video:

"Education is the best investment you'll ever make."

And many companies, even companies hiring for job that don't involve security or finances are checking FICO scores.

If a young grad misses a payment or more in this economy, it's reflects on their credit.

When and why does a person's value as an employee in the job market depend on the FICO score? Car insurance, and other companies check it now.

The land of the all-might FICO score.

Luckily mine is high.
    It's like when they take someones drivers liscense for missing a child support payment.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I'm back at school for one final semester and had to take out an $18,000 dollar loan this summer. I settled upon this dollar amount because that is what the school said it would cost to eat, live, buy books, and pay tuition.

Well, it turns out, that I didn't get nearly as much Fafsa-money as had been expected/predicted. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to cut back on grocery money and not furnish my apartment, right? Wrong. The school took all $18,000 dollars that was given to me by Chase Student Loans to pay off my bursar bill. When I went into the bursars office (after getting played like a fiddle going back and forth between the Student Loans office, the Bursars office, and Chase Student Loans) to ask where my check was with the difference so I could pay rent and eat (ya know, because eating and sleeping is something humans have to do), they said that there was no money to give to me.

So now... my bursar bill is paid off sans $300-plus dollars, but I have no long term plan as to how I'm going to pay my rent, eat... oh, and buying books for the semester? Well that's just completely out of the fucking question at this point.

My Mom has paid both August and September rent, and I made a couple thousand this summer which I've been using to buy food, but this whole situation sucks.

I'm pretty well off in comparison to the other horror stories I've heard, but this whole situation is fucked.

Welcome to the real world, kid! Fuck this bullshit...
    Age: 27 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 165 lbs | Penis: 2.5 inches

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Rep Points

LEt jsut say it its bushes fault

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by soxmuscle View Post
    I'm back at school for one final semester and had to take out an $18,000 dollar loan this summer. I settled upon this dollar amount because that is what the school said it would cost to eat, live, buy books, and pay tuition.

Well, it turns out, that I didn't get nearly as much Fafsa-money as had been expected/predicted. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to cut back on grocery money and not furnish my apartment, right? Wrong. The school took all $18,000 dollars that was given to me by Chase Student Loans to pay off my bursar bill. When I went into the bursars office (after getting played like a fiddle going back and forth between the Student Loans office, the Bursars office, and Chase Student Loans) to ask where my check was with the difference so I could pay rent and eat (ya know, because eating and sleeping is something humans have to do), they said that there was no money to give to me.

So now... my bursar bill is paid off sans $300-plus dollars, but I have no long term plan as to how I'm going to pay my rent, eat... oh, and buying books for the semester? Well that's just completely out of the fucking question at this point.

My Mom has paid both August and September rent, and I made a couple thousand this summer which I've been using to buy food, but this whole situation sucks.

I'm pretty well off in comparison to the other horror stories I've heard, but this whole situation is fucked.

soxmucle,

Thanks for giving us a real-life take on this.

I assume you go to a public, state Uni (although I don't care).

So, $18K, they just take and put it to what they want?

But is complete bullsh*t.

How much in your opinion is tuition, books, food, and rent?

I'm just curious.

primeau

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

I finished my undergrad with little to no student debt thanks to my parents (less than 6k)...grad school was a completely different story.

in the end, my personal debt from education was about 85K (6%-8.5% interest on 4 different loans)...throw in another 25K from my wife and our student loan payments are almost as high as our mortgage. The only big difference with student is they can't repossess your degree, lol.

in all seriousness though, all federal loans will allow you to enter forbearance so you won't have to make payments and it won't hit your FICO score...but you can still expect accrue interest during these frozen pay periods.

higher educations costs are ridiculously outrageous. Nevermind books rackets (which are a joke as well), but the tuition alone is higher than the public even realizes. A standard state university (Assuming you are a resident of that state, therefore, getting the cheaper rate) is roughly 10K a year for a bachelors. You can double that for an advanced degree (JD, MD, MBA, MS, or MA).

Thats Dr. Keke to you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by soxmuscle View Post

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but why don't you get a job? You act like you are incapable of paying rent and bills.
    Fucking Determined!