• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Martial arts

NickB

Damn, so many new faces.
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Looking to get started in a martial arts, but im not sure which one. I want something fun, while helping me get in shape (on top of my weight training), teaching me to defend myself and perhaps something i can compete in. I was psyched about Kendo (japanese fencing, basicaly) but the nearest place is an hour away so i need something else :[

Anyone have suggestions? pros/cons of each one?

Btw, if you say Tae-bo or Tai-chi, i'll stab you through the internet :D

I hear that 'buns of steel' video gets you quite the sweat:booty:
:p

Depends what you are looking for, and how intense you want to be.

Generally I reccommend Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Grappling or Wrestling for groundwork. For stand up skills, I reccommend Boxing, Kickboxing or Muay Thai. These are arts that are proven to work. No bullshit, no kata/forms, good workouts, etc.

If you're more interested in Culture and tradition, you might enjoy Karate, Aikido, Japanese Jiujitsu, etc.

Like I said, it depends what you're looking for.:thumb:

judo was lots of fun when I was in it, like mmafiter said no kata/forms, just we are going to throw you on your back and then you do it to us!!! good competitions too!!

Originally posted by mmafiter

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Kickboxing :

:clap: those are my sports :thumb:

Originally posted by NickB
Looking to get started in a martial arts, but im not sure which one. I want something fun, while helping me get in shape (on top of my weight training), teaching me to defend myself and perhaps something i can compete in. I was psyched about Kendo (japanese fencing, basicaly) but the nearest place is an hour away so i need something else :[

Anyone have suggestions? pros/cons of each one?

Btw, if you say Tae-bo or Tai-chi, i'll stab you through the internet :D

I had that same question.

MMA and others,

Do you have to go to a high $$ dojo to get quality training? That has been my major hold back so far. Down here we have something similar to the "Y" that offers classes at a much lower rate, would it be worth my time to start there then, as I progress and have more knowledge of what I am looking for, change to something more advanced?

Re: Re: Martial arts

Originally posted by Tboy

I had that same question.

MMA and others,

Do you have to go to a high $$ dojo to get quality training? That has been my major hold back so far. Down here we have something similar to the "Y" that offers classes at a much lower rate, would it be worth my time to start there then, as I progress and have more knowledge of what I am looking for, change to something more advanced?

No, you don't have to go to an expensive school to get quality instruction. It's like anything, you have to shop around. I suggest going to a class and checking it out. Does it look like something you would like to learn? Are the other students the type of people you would like to hang around? Is the instructor helpfull, or just an egomaniac?

What you are looking for and what is available need also be taken into consideration. If you explain in more detail about your situation, I may be able to help you some more. :thumb:

Well, Im not really looking to simply test for belts. I am looking more for self defense. A while back I went around to some of the local Martial Arts places and the average $$ per month was like $150 to $250. About $2500 for two years to become a black belt, which seemed there main selling point (which also turned me away more than their prices) I think a belt would be something nice to benchmark your learnings or skills, but skills is more of what I am after.

Did I make myself about as clear as mud?

Nerve desensitization in kickboxing would kill me I think, if I would have done that hardcore my time to have done that is long past, now that I'm getting old and grey :)

I'd go for some form of Kung Fu, but I'm biased, I would even consider Tai Chi however, and you will not :)

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Tboy
Well, Im not really looking to simply test for belts. I am looking more for self defense. A while back I went around to some of the local Martial Arts places and the average $$ per month was like $150 to $250. About $2500 for two years to become a black belt, which seemed there main selling point (which also turned me away more than their prices) I think a belt would be something nice to benchmark your learnings or skills, but skills is more of what I am after.

Did I make myself about as clear as mud?

Wow! Those are some outrageous prices! :eek: I charge my students $35.00 per month, and they get to train and spar with a stable of professional fighters! I personally wouldn't pay much more than $60.00 or $70.00 per month for instruction. If someone charged me $250.00 per month, they better make me into a fucking machine! I couldn't imagine charging people that much money. How do they sleep at night?

I understand exactly what you mean about the whole belt factory mentality, we call them McDojo's. They hand out belts like McDonalds hands out hamburgers; Cheesy, Bland, and not very well done!:D

I would suggest finding a brazilian jiu-jistu club, wrestling or Judo club if you are interested in ground work. If you're interested in standup skills, Kickboxing, boxing or Muay Thai. Beware though, these arts are generally hardcore and honest, but there are fakes out there who say they train in these styles, but are actually just making shit up or learning from video tapes.:rolleyes:

Try and find a competitive club. By this I mean a club whose members regularly go compete. These type of clubs are usually legit, because if they aren't, it will soon become apparent when they compete. You'll probably have to just pick a place for now, but keep your ears open. Listen to other people talk about clubs in the area. My club isn't in the phone book. We don't advertise. It's all word of mouth for us. It works for us though, because when guys like you go to other clubs in our area and start asking about serious/hardcore training, most instructors will point them toward us. :D

Back