NapsGear.net

Build muscle with bodyweight exercises?

Rep Points

Build muscle with bodyweight exercises?

Ok so I'm wondering if I can build some mass with the following bodyweight exercises.
    My stats are as follows:
    sex: male
    height: 5"11
    weight: 130 pounds

I was thinking doing this routine:
    -dips
    -pullips/chinups
    -handstand pushups
    -inverted rows
    -hanging leg raises
    -single leg squats

anyways I would try and stay in the 8-10 rep range, do this routine 3x a week and to progress In the dips, and pullups I have some plates and I made a dipping belt.

and I know to build mass I need about 500 cals above maintenance and 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    Anywayvwhst do you think? Can I build mass this way??

Greg

Rep Points

Sure you can, but you're going to need a way of varying your program over time. It could be as simple as increasing the volume, but I don't think that's going to be super effective. You may have to add weight eventually.

Another thing is that you may be lacking in hamstring and glute development, so things like reverse hyperextensions and glute ham raises would be good additions.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

You CAN but its not the most efficient or effective way of doing it. At some point the amount of work you will need to do to stimulate new growth will be almost totally cancelled out by how much energy you'll expend getting to that point. You'll simply get too strong for your bodyweight to provide enough resistence.

That said, if you're a beginner a few months of bodyweight only training will only mean good things when you finally do get to workout with some weights. They're a fantastic way of building a good base.

The number of people who i see on the bench press who can barely do a few bodyweight pushups is staggering. Similar situation with pullups and lat pulldowns.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Thanks, anyways for progression I do have 80 pounds in plates and a dipping belt and I also. Have two 25 pound dumbells that I will implement after I can do around 10 reps of each exercise

Rep Points

Damn...I'd have to do a couple of cycles to lift my bodyweight!!!
    Blast you pizza, chips and beer!!!

Rep Points

In the beginning you will see great improvements but over time your body will get used to the weight and you will lose a bit of mass.

You need to put your muscles to stress over and over again.