• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Shoulder Injury / Surgery

danzik17

Elite Member
Reaction score
I started a thread a few days ago after my first PRP treatment that might be useful to you. I'll be updated it weekly. Here is my first post:
Anyone tried Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy?
Having enjoyed this forum for several months, I am aware a sizable number of bodybuilders here have joint issues that range from minor to debilitating. Has anyone tried PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy? I'm very interested in your personal experience because I had my first PRP treatment yesterday. According to my MD, trainers at every professional level are now convinced that PRP is hugely effective in helping elite athletes recover from injuries. Hopefully, the same data applies to aging amateurs such as myself. Several months ago, while throwing a castnet, I partially tore my rotator cuff and my bicep tendon which, my doctor said, required surgery (this was after two months of therapy and a cortizone injection failed to help.) Because RC surgery requires at least three to five months of careful therapy, I opted to try PRP. The procedure is pretty simple: They drew 22 CCs of my blood, and put it in a centrifuge for fourteen minutes. The PA then drew-off the urine-colored platelet poor plasma, which left about 6 CCs of very dark looking, platelet rich plasma, which she saved in a large syringe. Using a fluoroscope, the MD then injected it into my shoulder, along with 4 IUs of Human Growth Hormone. The literature is convincing, although results aren't guaranteed, of course. As my MD predicted, my shoulder hurts like an MF-er this morning, but I should feel marked improvement in a week to six weeks. A major drawback for many is that insurance does not cover the procedure. However, if it spares me surgery and several nightmare months unable to workout, it'll be worth every penny.
I've posted a link from a New York Times story on PRP below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html

What part of Cartilage are you having issues with?

If it is a seperation related injury I can only assume the Labrum

What part of Cartilage are you having issues with?

If it is a seperation related injury I can only assume the Labrum

You're correct - it's the labrum.

Having a scope on my left shoulder in two weeks due to a calcium deposit, I will post after its done. The MRI didn't show anything else but we will see when he goes in

I started a thread a few days ago after my first PRP treatment that might be useful to you. I'll be updated it weekly. Here is my first post:
Anyone tried Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy?
Having enjoyed this forum for several months, I am aware a sizable number of bodybuilders here have joint issues that range from minor to debilitating. Has anyone tried PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy? I'm very interested in your personal experience because I had my first PRP treatment yesterday. According to my MD, trainers at every professional level are now convinced that PRP is hugely effective in helping elite athletes recover from injuries. Hopefully, the same data applies to aging amateurs such as myself. Several months ago, while throwing a castnet, I partially tore my rotator cuff and my bicep tendon which, my doctor said, required surgery (this was after two months of therapy and a cortizone injection failed to help.) Because RC surgery requires at least three to five months of careful therapy, I opted to try PRP. The procedure is pretty simple: They drew 22 CCs of my blood, and put it in a centrifuge for fourteen minutes. The PA then drew-off the urine-colored platelet poor plasma, which left about 6 CCs of very dark looking, platelet rich plasma, which she saved in a large syringe. Using a fluoroscope, the MD then injected it into my shoulder, along with 4 IUs of Human Growth Hormone. The literature is convincing, although results aren't guaranteed, of course. As my MD predicted, my shoulder hurts like an MF-er this morning, but I should feel marked improvement in a week to six weeks. A major drawback for many is that insurance does not cover the procedure. However, if it spares me surgery and several nightmare months unable to workout, it'll be worth every penny.
I've posted a link from a New York Times story on PRP below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/17/sports/17blood.html

Looked into it. The summary is that it's a useful therapy, however my doctor stressed that the odds of it being as successful as his suggested method are much less. He recommends that kind of procedure for things like tendon injuries, but not so much for missing cartilage.

He also did say that while I won't be sparring, I should be able to go back to drilling/practicing moves during my BJJ classes in 2-3 months which is half what I had thought it would be.

In the meantime post surgery, it's either an exercise bike, elliptical, or sit on my ass (other than physical therapy).

That really sucks, good luck. It's been one week since my PRP treatment. I'll be writing about it more fully, but in short: My shoulder hurt like an SOB the first three days after the injection -- normal according to the MD. I have been doing prescribed exercises daily in the pool. Today, the amount of pain is slightly less than before PRP. For the first time since the June injury, the pain did not wake me up last night. A good sign.

Shoulder PRP injection

All....I joined this forum so that I could share my experience with PRP injection. I have a torn rotator cuff (50%) from a fall. I have acute bursistis and 25% impingement in my left shoulder. My doctor recommended a PRP injection. They indicated it would feel like you were kicked by a horse but I would be able to drive afterward. Because they gave so spariing of details I went looking for information on the web. This site was the only one that gave me a glimpse into what I was really facing.
SO....I made it through the PRP injection...barely. If I knew then what I know now....not so sure I would have shown up!!! They first drew blood...my boyfriend had to help the nurse because she couldn't hold the butterfly needle and pull on the syringe. Once that was done they put it in the "spinner" for 15 minutes. The doctor came in a gave me a lidocaine shot in the shoulder using ultra sound to guide it to the tear area. The lidocaine shot wasn't so bad...until the end of the shot it felt like a bad dentist shot when they hit a nerve. Once the plasma was gathered, it was then injected into my shoulder. Both the lidocaine and plasma was guided by ultrasound. My boyfriend said on the ultra sound it looked like a front coming in on the weather map! Almost to the end of the plamsa injection is when the pain started...the doctor finished and said to move it around a little. Then the really bad pain started.....I have never felt anything like it before. Thought I was going to puke...it felt like someone was pressing on the worse bruise you have ever had and my shoulder was going to explode. This lasted about 15 to 20 minutes. I was so thankful someone was in the room with me...boyfriend fanned me with his crossword and counted down the minutes. The entire procedure took less than an hour. On Thursday my shoulder feels worse than it was before I went in...but they say this is a sign of healing. We will know in five weeks if I need surgery or if this will work. They told me it would feel like I got kicked by a horse...well I've been kicked and stepped on by a horse...and it wasn't even close.

For those of you thinking about this procedure...make sure you get pain med for the first 48 hours after the injection. The ride home was very painful as I felt every bump in the road. I could not move my arm for a good 24 hours. Make sure you are prepared for that first 15 to 20 minutes. I can't tell you HOW PAINFUL it is so please be prepared. It is now five days after and I have made great improvement. I started PT (rubber band) two days ago...while painful I can see the progress I am making each day.........this is progress back to the pain I had prior to the injection...but still progress. I have high hopes this will resolve my issues without surgery....if so it will be worth the pain.

They told me I would be able to drive home....but I am very glad I had someone with me so I didn't have to. I did not attempt to drive until 48 hours later. It was still very painful to turn the wheel even then.

Good Luck to everyone.

Roset, I'm thinking of getting PRP for a similar injury. Do you think its worthwhile now that its been some months since your injection?

Thanks

Back