IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

U.S. to make Internet wiretaps easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Thumbs down U.S. to make Internet wiretaps easier

U.S. to make Internet wiretaps easier

Officials say terrorists, criminals increasingly favor online communications to phones

WASHINGTON — Broad new regulations being drafted by the Obama administration would make it easier for law enforcement and national security officials to eavesdrop on Internet and e-mail communications like social networking websites and BlackBerrys, The New York Times reported Monday.

The newspaper said the White House plans to submit a bill next year that would require all online services that enable communications to be technically equipped to comply with a wiretap order. That would include providers of encrypted e-mail, such as BlackBerry, networking sites like Facebook and direct communication services like Skype.

Federal law enforcement and national security officials say new the regulations are needed because terrorists and criminals are increasingly giving up their phones to communicate online.

"We're talking about lawfully authorized intercepts," said FBI lawyer Valerie E. Caproni. "We're not talking about expanding authority. We're talking about preserving our ability to execute our existing authority in order to protect the public safety and national security."

The White House plans to submit the proposed legislation to Congress next year.

Privacy vs. national security
    The new regulations would raise fresh questions about protecting people's privacy while balancing national security concerns.

James Dempsey, the vice president of the Center for Democracy and Technology, an Internet policy group, said the new regulations would have "huge implications."

"They basically want to turn back the clock and make Internet services function the way that the telephone system used to function," he told the Times.

The Times said the Obama proposal would likely include several requires:

—Any service that provides encrypted messages must be capable of unscrambling them.

—Any foreign communications providers that do business in the U.S. would have to have an office in the United States that's capable of providing intercepts.

—Software developers of peer-to-peer communications services would be required to redesign their products to allow interception.

The Times said that some privacy and technology advocates say the regulations would create weaknesses in the technology that hackers could more easily exploit.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Hardcore Peptides 20% Discount Code: Robert20

Rep Points

Wonder why Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, et al, aren't calling for investigations and indictments like they all were when the Bush admin was eavesdropping on a few calls from overseas?

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I heard this shit this morning on the way to work. Fucking cock sucking mother fuckers! I had hoped that the patriot act and other laws in the spirit of the patriot act would slowly lose steam with the Democrats in power, but no such luck. Wiretap my blackberry without a warrant? FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU DEMOCRATS! Keep this shit up, and I will vote republican across the board in spite. You mother fuckers! The government has no right to snoop on my blackberry mail.
    Fucking Determined!

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I heard this this morning and actually thought it was a joke.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    I will vote republican across the board in spite.
    ^^^^^That's the best way for most American's to end up in Hooverville...

this should be no surprise..as technology increases so must the means to monitor those new technologies....I highly doubt if the process of obtaining a warrant at the Federal level is going to change
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    ^^^^^That's the best way for most American's to end up in Hooverville...
    We are headed to Hooverville anyway. Fuck it! I say we step on the clutch and blow this mother fucker. If we are going to go down, lets go down hard and fast.
    Fucking Determined!

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

We are headed to Hooverville anyway. Fuck it! I say we step on the clutch and blow this mother fucker. If we are going to go down, lets go down hard and fast.
    Get to hell quicker..i knew i like u for some reason..
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Good luck with that. It's braindead simple to write your own simple IM client that uses 256bit AES.

Email + PGP. Hell, DropBox with a TrueCrypt container.

What they're asking is impossible. We really need some technically competent people in Congress.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    Good luck with that. It's braindead simple to write your own simple IM client that uses 256bit AES.

Email + PGP. Hell, DropBox with a TrueCrypt container.

What they're asking is impossible. We really need some technically competent people in Congress.
    That is all well and good for controlling what you send and what you receive from others who have the foresight and know how. What do I do about idiot friends sending me shit that is inappropriate?

But none of that is the point. The point is this is just one more step towards Americans being interfered with by an overly intrusive government.
    Last edited by KelJu; 09-27-2010 at 10:56 AM.
    Fucking Determined!

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

But none of that is the point. The point is this is just one more step towards Americans being interfered with by an overly intrusive government.
    How do you figure? Simply looking at it from the National Security perspective if the Fed government is to monitor ALL communications to/from the country why should comms. on the Internet or a Blackberry be excluded?

it would be comparable to locking all the windows on the 1st floor of a home, and the main doors but leaving the side door on a new edition unlocked.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

How do you figure? Simply looking at it from the National Security perspective if the Fed government is to monitor ALL communications to/from the country why should comms. on the Internet or a Blackberry be excluded?

it would be comparable to locking all the windows on the 1st floor of a home, and the main doors but leaving the side door on a new edition unlocked.

The argument that my phone is already being tapped, so what does it hurt that they want to tap my email too is a very bad slippery slope. My intellectual property is just as important to me as my material property. I don't want shitheads walking into my house without a warrant, and I don't want shitheads snooping through my intellectual property without a warrant. .
    Fucking Determined!

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

The argument that my phone is already being tapped, so what does it hurt that they want to tap my email too is a very bad slippery slope. My intellectual property is just as important to me as my material property. I don't want shitheads walking into my house without a warrant, and I don't want shitheads snooping through my intellectual property without a warrant. .
    my best guess would be that these things are already being done they just need to get the legislation passed on making it official.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

my best guess would be that these things are already being done they just need to get the legislation passed on making it official.
    No doubt in my mind that this is true. None the less, is is still part of a plan to invade our personal lives one step at a time. It is like cheating on your wife behind her back repeatedly with no consequences, so you take it a step father and do it right out in the open once you have figured out that she will put up little resistance.
    Fucking Determined!

uncle z rep
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

u goverment.Survival of the fittest

-All of my posts are for entertainment purposes only, & not to be taken seriously
    -All content posted is nothing more than a comical skit, & a joke

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by legendkiller85 View Post
    u goverment.Survival of the fittest
    Survival of the Facists

(once I declare open season on them)
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

All this is going to do is promote investment into foreign software developers who can't be regulated by US policy and make it even more difficult for them to trace intel....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Anything I do/view/write, etc. on the Internet I really don't consider "private" anyway. I do worry about hackers exploiting these back doors though.

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

If this power is abused, then it will suck, otherwise, I couldn't care less.

For instance, bringing to a halt recreational pot use would be foolish. But if it prevents a terrorist attack from some towelhead fuck who wants to blow up Wrigley Field, then by all means, it should be instituted.
    Age: 22 | Height: 5'8" | Weight: 150 lbs | Penis: 12 inches

primeau

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GearsMcGilf View Post
    Wonder why Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, et al, aren't calling for investigations and indictments like they all were when the Bush admin was eavesdropping on a few calls from overseas?
    Its just another example of how our two parties are actually one party when it comes to the big 3: intelligence, monetary policy, and foreign policy

primeau

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by soxmuscle View Post

For instance, bringing to a halt recreational pot use would be foolish. But if it prevents a terrorist attack from some towelhead fuck who wants to blow up Wrigley Field, then by all means, it should be instituted.

so do you trust it won't be abused?

casting pearls!

Rep Points

Power Abused Not our Goverment! All power by the federal goverment is abused to one degree or another. This is how goverment functions. Its up to the voters in november to put a stop to some of this power abuse.

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lnvanry View Post

so do you trust it won't be abused?
    If somebody gets in trouble for buying recreational drugs, I'll be the leader of the revolution.

I never thought I'd see one of these, but man, would it be cool to lead one and actually do the right thing, even if it isn't politically correct.

Blowing up the middle east would solve so many problems...

primeau

Rep Points

If somebody gets in trouble for buying recreational drugs, I'll be the leader of the revolution.

I never thought I'd see one of these, but man, would it be cool to lead one and actually do the right thing, even if it isn't politically correct.

It would create a ton of problems too

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I think you are smarter than that. I could cut off my hand to stop my finger from hurting, and it would solve the problem, but what problems would it cause?

We trained middle eastern countries on how to fight the soviets. It solved a problem, now look at the results decades later.
    Fucking Determined!

Follow @TheUnzippedFly

Rep Points

I think you are smarter than that. I could cut off my hand to stop my finger from hurting, and it would solve the problem, but what problems would it cause?

We trained middle eastern countries on how to fight the soviets. It solved a problem, now look at the results decades later.
    Obviously, blowing up the middle east is preposterous, unrealistic and everything in between.

I know this, you know this, we all know this.

My rational point still stands; if this is instituted as a means of preventing terrorism, I'm all for it. If it's also going to be utilized to prevent you from getting mushrooms, I think it's a big waste of time, money and energy and a threat to what America was founded upon.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Obviously, blowing up the middle east is preposterous, unrealistic and everything in between.

I know this, you know this, we all know this.

My rational point still stands; if this is instituted as a means of preventing terrorism, I'm all for it. If it's also going to be utilized to prevent you from getting mushrooms, I think it's a big waste of time, money and energy and a threat to what America was founded upon.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. This situation boils down to a decision between freedom or security. I'll take freedom. I don't believe security exist anyway. People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both. Ben Franklin said something to that effect. It is just as true today as it ever has been.
    Fucking Determined!

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

You can't have your cake and eat it, too. This situation boils down to a decision between freedom or security. I'll take freedom. I don't believe security exist anyway. People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both. Ben Franklin said something to that effect. It is just as true today as it ever has been.
    safety is an illusion, most people think they are "safe" in their homes when the average front door can be easily kicked in or the house siding penetrated with a simple drywall saw if it's not brick.

I'll take Freedom over the "illusion" of safety any day of the week....

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I could care less if the government reads every piece of email I've ever wrote and ever will write. I've got nothing to hide, and I don't why people think their so important that it would bother them. Big deal.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I wonder what the people who have bumper stickers that say "Freedom is not Free," think.
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

Founder of GOSB
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

No doubt in my mind that this is true. None the less, is is still part of a plan to invade our personal lives one step at a time. It is like cheating on your wife behind her back repeatedly with no consequences, so you take it a step father and do it right out in the open once you have figured out that she will put up little resistance.
    agree

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.