• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

Rethinking protein powder

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Rethinking protein powder Supplements are touted by their makers, especially for muscle-maxing weightlifters. But who really needs how much — if any? When it comes to misguided efforts of average people wishing to pack on muscle, protein supplements are way up there. A 2004 study of exercisers at a Long Island commercial gym that was [...]

Read More...

Good read.
I couldn't agree more with this quote.
“Protein powder is more of a matter of convenience than anything else,” Aragon says. “The big part of this is just making sure you get what you need. There is nothing special about protein powders that makes them any better than getting protein from food.”

good stuff...

I am thinking my whey post w/o shake is a waste? I do like my muscle milk "snacks" during work days though :alcoholic:

I sometimes drink a small whey shake before meals to help me feel fed a little longer. Other than that, it's just convenient (and cheap) food.

I get more than enough protein from BBQing all the time. They do come in handy when I do not feel like cooking in the morning before running out the door to take the kids to school.

:thinking:

i get like 80% of my protien from whey and gains been comming year by year (7-15lb/yr) so..........

“but protein supplements that are sold as part of a blend of other performance boosters definitely have a risk of being contaminated with pro- hormones like DHEA and androstenedione, as well as stimulants like ephedrine.”
I had to laugh at this statement.
Other than that, I only use a whey protein powder after a workout-or my own All in 1, depending on whether I'm cutting or not. I need to feel full when I am done consuming a meal.

At Built; I remember Built explaining to me that whey has a filling effect on women and that casein has a similar effect on men. I do agree with this because cottage cheese fills me up. Whey does nothing to my appetite and makes me feel hungrier.

sorry folks, but I disagree somewhat, I weighed 192 last year and packed on to about 230+. Then I started lifting regular and added whey protein shakes to my diet. I went from 230+ to 265/267 lbs from March of this year to June. I think maybe the whey helped some, sure I couldve just increased my food intake, but the whey helped. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify in my head spending 15$ a month on whey and 20$ on creatine.:nail:

sorry folks, but I disagree somewhat, I weighed 192 last year and packed on to about 230+. Then I started lifting regular and added whey protein shakes to my diet. I went from 230+ to 265/267 lbs from March of this year to June. I think maybe the whey helped some, sure I couldve just increased my food intake, but the whey helped. Or maybe I'm just trying to justify in my head spending 15$ a month on whey and 20$ on creatine.:nail:

did you use gear or was there fat built into this equation?

IML Gear Cream!
I don't use it that much anymore, and have not noticed a difference.

Whey protein is good but like all the sources say its just a supplement. If possible consuming protein through your regular meals should be more efficient in providing the nutrients needed.

At Built; I remember Built explaining to me that whey has a filling effect on women and that casein has a similar effect on men.
I did? Shit. I don't remember. Did I send you an article link or something? Do you still have it? It probably had to do with CCK release vs gastric emptying.

<sigh> I read too much. The old stuff gets pushed out whenever I read the new stuff.
I do agree with this because cottage cheese fills me up. Whey does nothing to my appetite and makes me feel hungrier.
Me too. UNLESS I have it before I eat a meal. Then it helps.

I did? Shit. I don't remember. Did I send you an article link or something? Do you still have it? It probably had to do with CCK release vs gastric emptying.

<sigh> I read too much. The old stuff gets pushed out whenever I read the new stuff.

Me too. UNLESS I have it before I eat a meal. Then it helps.

You have a meal to get your ready for a meal. Have I told you lately that you are my hero...:kissu:

You have a meal to get your ready for a meal. Have I told you lately that you are my hero...:kissu:

♪♪ You were the wind beneath my wings... ♪

Yeah, I find it really helpful. Come home, knock back a small shake while I cook up a steak and veggies, then sit down and eat, all nice and full.

♪♪ You were the wind beneath my wings... ♪

Yeah, I find it really helpful. Come home, knock back a small shake while I cook up a steak and veggies, then sit down and eat, all nice and full.

Ah Built. Once again one of your posts make my day. I use whey first thing in the am when I train, 'cause I go to the gym at the crack of dawn, and when I get back home I drink another shake with some dextrose Carbs before I eat my meal. I don't like to eat right after the gym, but after a bit, I'll have a meal. My wife loves to poke fun at my meal before a meal theory, but now I can show her this and prove I'm not the only one! I was gonna say that it proves that I'm not crazy, but I'm gonna need a helluva lot more evidence to prove that one... :mooh:

Hi, I'm Jenny and I'm new to the whole forum deal. So basically protein powders are like daily vitamins, if you eat right you'll be getting all the necessary vitamins so you really wouldn't need to take them. Interesting...

Hi, I'm Jenny and I'm new to the whole forum deal. So basically protein powders are like daily vitamins, if you eat right you'll be getting all the necessary vitamins so you really wouldn't need to take them. Interesting...

Not quite. Taking a vitamin supplement provides a 'safety net' to ensure that you ultimately have sufficient vitamin intake. It is more "supplement-y" than protein powder is. Equate protein powder with regular food.

Protein powder is just another source of calories. For instance, one does not have to eat chicken. One does not have to eat beef. One does not have to use protein powder.

There is not anything in protein powder that makes you "healthier" by taking it in comparison to any other complete protein source.

Not quite. Taking a vitamin supplement provides a 'safety net' to ensure that you ultimately have sufficient vitamin intake. It is more "supplement-y" than protein powder is. Equate protein powder with regular food.

Protein powder is just another source of calories. For instance, one does not have to eat chicken. One does not have to eat beef. One does not have to use protein powder.

There is not anything in protein powder that makes you "healthier" by taking it in comparison to any other complete protein source.

+1

I don't even like to think of protein powder as a supplement because its main function is adding calories which should be factored into your diet just like any other macronutrient.

+1

i don't even like to think of protein powder as a supplement because its main function is adding calories which should be factored into your diet just like any other macronutrient.

+2.

When it comes to misguided efforts of average people wishing to pack on muscle, protein supplements are way up there. A 2004 study of exercisers at a Long Island commercial gym that was published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition revealed that more than 40% of regular exercisers take protein supplements more than five times a week.

For people looking to get as huge as professional bodybuilders, protein powders do make sense. But for us regular folks who merely want to look good for the beach, bar or bed partner, these probably are unnecessary.

big big difference between MACROnutrients(carbs, fats, protein) and MICROnutrients(vitamins and minerals).

when i began working out again this year i realised i didnt need as much food or protien as i originally thought. i was always afraid i wouldnt build or keep muscle but everything is going great. it just took my body a few weeks to get use to reduction in food. of course some of this can be credited to Muscle Memory. i will probly up the food a bit once i loose some more fat and start training a little heavier but might make suttle adjustments as needed.

Back