NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Which makes more sense

Rep Points

Question Which makes more sense

A little info first, my chest is crap, I have been hitting it once every seven days on a typical one bodypart per week split with an arms day. I feel that after 3 days since my chest workout, it shrinks or feels like its atrophying. Other body parts I feel the same about, only chest is the worst for progress.

Either:

M - Push
    T - legs/light pull
    W - rest
    TH - Push
    F - pull/light legs
    Sat & Sun- Rest

or

M - Chest/Tri
    T - Back/Bi
    W - Shoulders/Traps
    TH - Legs
    F - OFF
    Sat- Chest/Tri
    Sun -Back/Bi

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Hitting chest once a week makes no sense for an unassisted athlete.

Are you gaining weight?
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Im natty, working out for a year. 5"11 196lbs, 10-12%BF.

Stats:

Flat BB Bench 195x6
    BB Curl: 110x5
    Squats: Just Started Again used to do around 300lbs
    Deadlifts: Just Started and want to get good at em

The only physical activity I do is weightlifting. I want to be huge and strong, my idols are Arnold and Franco Columbu. My current routine of hitting one body part every seven days isnt cutting it, escpecially for my chest. I realize this and thats why Im asking about those two routines because they have chest 3-5 days apart rather than 7. I keep plateauing for months on this routine and need to get stronger asap.

Rep Points

or even:

Day1: Back, biceps
    Day2: Chest, Shoulders, triceps
    Day3: Legs
    Day4: OFF
    Day5: Back, biceps
    Day6: Chest, Shoulders, triceps
    Day7: Legs

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Are you gaining weight?
    What average calories are you running?

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Greg

Rep Points

Why do you need to get stronger ASAP? Slow progress accumulated over time leads to big gains. Normally people who want to get strong quickly burn out and don't make any noticeable long-term progress.

Getting stronger can have to do with programming. Read the thread about selecting rep ranges for your program and the one about designing a training routine. Those will do wonders for your strength progress.

As for gaining size, you have to eat. As long as you are gaining weight and gaining strength, your chest will likely get bigger. I haven't seen many guys who are huge but have small chests.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    Hitting chest once a week makes no sense for an unassisted athlete.
    I am not making the connection. Can you explain your comment?

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardly View Post
    I am not making the connection. Can you explain your comment?
    Sure thing. Relative to those on gear, unassisted athletes have a more limited capacity for training, CNS fatigue and recovery. In other words, instead of once a week "Chest day", train chest twice a week. Better to hit a muscle with lower per-workout training volume but higher training frequency. You'll be able to do more volume overall, and you'll be able to keep building off of your most recent recovery. At least, that's how it makes sense in my head. Lots of guys get plenty huge training bodypart splits. This just strikes me as a better option, in general.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Greg

Rep Points

I think frequency is an important factor in maximizing exercise technique too. Plus, I always felt like that extra day of rest you get from doing a push/pull or fullbody split is good for the CNS. I don't like the idea of splitting things up and doing 5 weight training days per week.

I train 5-6 times per week but I only lift 4 times per week and 2 of those sessions are limited.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The only way I could see training five days a week would be if the sessions were mostly full-body, and very short.

Unless you train in your living room, this is probably not all that convenient for most lifters.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...

Greg

Rep Points

Yeah, 5 days of weights to me is just too much. Plus, I hate the feeling of one body part or group of bodyparts being worked and the others being fresh.

Plus, like I said, splitting by bodypart means you're working at a low frequency. I hate that because it seems like the more time you take off, the poorer your form. It's especially true for compound movements.