NapsGear.net

Bringing back the smith ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rep Points

Bringing back the smith ?

Whatsup fellas ?

Due to my hectic work schedule me and my gym partner will no longer be able to workout together until december . Im wondering if i were to use the smith machine to bench press and shoulder press for the next 8 weeks will it hinder my strength and muscle gains ?

I bench press 275 for reps and shoulder press 185 for reps ...

Both free weight .

the unbanned

Rep Points

stick to free weights.

lol that all you care about is your bench numbers.

Greg

Rep Points

Why not just bench without your partner?

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gtbmed View Post
    Why not just bench without your partner?
    I tore my pec before and im not taking any chances benching without any supervision .

Greg

Rep Points

How does having your partner around prevent you from tearing your pec? I don't see how the two are related.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiringMYlats View Post
    Whatsup fellas ?

Due to my hectic work schedule me and my gym partner will no longer be able to workout together until december . Im wondering if i were to use the smith machine to bench press and shoulder press for the next 8 weeks will it hinder my strength and muscle gains ?

Both free weight .
    I haven't trained with an actual "training partner" in like 15 years..you need to get used to training with intensity by yourself. no need to go from free weights to smith just because you don't have a spotter
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Rep Points

oh boy, here we go with another smith machine thread

Rep Points

i lost my spotter/ gym partner a few months back. best thing that ever happened to me!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiringMYlats View Post
    Whatsup fellas ?

Both free weight .
    Agreed. Stick to free weights and take enough off the bar to perform the exercise correctly. I never use a spotter unless I'm doing a max lift or negatives. I train at the same time each day, and there are always a few guys I trust to spot in a pinch.
    Last edited by MDR; 10-04-2010 at 08:34 PM.

uncle z rep
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

I have a training partner I wish I could loose.Slows me down to much I think I will have to break his heart pretty soon

-All of my posts are for entertainment purposes only, & not to be taken seriously
    -All content posted is nothing more than a comical skit, & a joke

Greg

Rep Points

I just failed on squats today and I lift by myself...

Learn how to fail properly and you'll be fine training on your own.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by gtbmed View Post
    I just failed on squats today and I lift by myself...

Learn how to fail properly and you'll be fine training on your own.
    Very true on most lifts. Flat and incline bench presents a few problems, however.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by nova1970sb View Post
    i lost my spotter/ gym partner a few months back. best thing that ever happened to me!
    The last partner I had was so stupid I don't think I'll ever use one again. I tore the rotar cuff in in my shoulder because he was too stupid to spot me correctly.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Rep Points

Why not just ask someone around the gym to spot you? I only get a spot for triples, doubles, and singles.

casting pearls!

Rep Points

I use a smith rack at my own gym due to the fact that I train to failure. It's a personal choice for me due to the lack of a spotter. I do have a free weight bench just for those special occasions when I can get someone to show up to work out. It's sad when you invite people over to workout and they are so lazy they don’t show up.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Solution: Bench in a rack. If a rack is being used for something more important (Squats) grab somebody to spot you. If that isn't possible, don't train to failure. In fact, don't train to failure anyway - it's dangerous, unnecessary, and requires a spotter you obviously don't have!

Not trying to spark up yet another stupid debate on failure training, and for the record i love HIT/Heavy Duty training. Just saying theres a time and a place for this type of training, and for most people/programs the risk > the reward.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gazhole View Post
    Solution: Bench in a rack. If a rack is being used for something more important (Squats) grab somebody to spot you. If that isn't possible, don't train to failure. In fact, don't train to failure anyway - it's dangerous, unnecessary, and requires a spotter you obviously don't have!

Not trying to spark up yet another stupid debate on failure training, and for the record i love HIT/Heavy Duty training. Just saying theres a time and a place for this type of training, and for most people/programs the risk > the reward.
    Very true. Almost never train to failure, and the attempts for new PR's are more and more seldom as I get older, as are negatives. Easy enough to guess your 1 rep max from how many times you can perform a lift 5 times. Maxing out is almost entirely an exercise for the ego, IMHO. Not to say it's not fun!

Rep Points

Agreed. I don't have the experience you guys have, but I do notice my body responds better without failure training

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionKing View Post
    I use a smith rack at my own gym due to the fact that I train to failure. It's a personal choice for me due to the lack of a spotter. I do have a free weight bench just for those special occasions when I can get someone to show up to work out. It's sad when you invite people over to workout and they are so lazy they don’t show up.
    I used the smith today for chest and my workout went smoothly . When me and my partner's schedules are back in sync i ll go to freeweight . Im not sure why the smith got such a bad wrap ... I saw Victor Martinez and Kai Greene working out together last summer at my gym they were using the smith for behind the neck presses so i dont think its all that bad . If it works for you it works .

Rep Points

I like the smith IF YOU FORGET ITS THERE !!! if you keep your form in the same line as free weights it works. for ex: sqauts its easy to lean back into the smith instead of going straight down and I think that is why some dont like it ..... it can be easy to cheat or have improper form leading to no gains or even injury

POWER LIFT
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

At the gym I go to there's a smith machine in what's called the Power Room. It's been placed there for nothing more than profiling purposes!!!

On a serious note, you do not need a spotter to get bench work done. But if your that worried about it, set up a power rack as Gaz suggested.
    Blackstone Labs 10% Off Coupon Code = TheNeck10

IronMagLabs 15% Off Coupon Code = TheNeck15

Bombus H. Maximus

Rep Points

I love the smith, it keeps the numb-nuts out of the cage.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyBomber View Post
    I love the smith, it keeps the numb-nuts out of the cage.

I never thought of it that way, but after how busy my gym was last night i wish we had one to act like a gym bug-zapper.

They just can't resist the sweet aroma and comforting blue glow of the smith machine...watch as they mindlessly float towards it and BAM. Torn rotator cuff. Another bug down.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by 200+ View Post
    oh boy, here we go with another smith machine thread
    Much better than Bicep Curls thread ... ... I think...

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Well I never use a spotter except rarely, it has some benefits

1-You will have full control wich means you will be more concious and aware as nobody is behind you wich I think means more muscle recruitment...

2-When you reach failure, You will learn and get used to use all your strength and concentration to push the bar back to the rack..

3-You will not depend on anybody, AKA you can workout anytime and anywhere you want, wich means less variables to think about while going to the gym and while in the gym..

4-you are subjected to less stupidity..

Only Disadvantage is that you have to be so careful..

Rep Points

I'm sure someone around the gym will spot you

Bombus H. Maximus

Rep Points

I never thought of it that way, but after how busy my gym was last night i wish we had one to act like a gym bug-zapper.

They just can't resist the sweet aroma and comforting blue glow of the smith machine...watch as they mindlessly float towards it and BAM. Torn rotator cuff. Another bug down.
    lmao yes.

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

Hey Smith Machine!
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

ironpete

Rep Points

I like to use the smith machine in the gym that I workout at for incline bench presses. The free weight incline rack they have is too high up and I am able to use an adjustable bench to make the incline lower so I feel the exercise more in my chest and not as much on my front delts.

Greg

Rep Points

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast