IronMagLabs Osta Rx

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

W2 Employee's and Yearly Cost of Living Wage Increase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

W2 Employee's and Yearly Cost of Living Wage Increase

We all know that in reality a cost of living increase is not the same as a performance based raise/wage increase, etc. I'm wondering in these tough economic times how many people have still been getting this wage increase EVERY year since 2000. If you have or have not and are a "typical" W2 employee with a salary based off an hourly rate please state such.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    We all know that in reality a cost of living increase is not the same as a performance based raise/wage increase, etc. I'm wondering in these tough economic times how many people have still been getting this wage increase EVERY year since 2000. If you have or have not and are a "typical" W2 employee with a salary based off an hourly rate please state such.
    Great thread. I cannot accurately answer because I've been living outstide of the US for about 10 year more, or less.

But statistically, wages are stagnant.

Not just stagnant, but declining since 2000, but to 1970.

I'm interested in hearing responses.

Posters & readers should note, the difference between "nominal" and "real" dollars.
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

primeau

Rep Points

We still get a standard 1-3% cost of living adjustment every year....although I don't know how much longer that is going to persist...plus an annual bonus (which can range from 1-50% of your salary). This applies to salaried entry level to upper mgmt....exec mgmt has a complete different setup.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smoothy View Post
    Great thread. I cannot accurately answer because I've been living outstide of the US for about 10 year more, or less.

But statistically, wages are stagnant.

Not just stagnant, but declining since 2000, but to 1970.

I'm interested in hearing responses.

Posters & readers should note, the difference between "nominal" and "real" dollars.
    I should have asked people to go back to 1990.

I know we got cost of living increases in the Navy from '89 to '95. When I returned to school after the Navy and finished again in '96 and re-entered the workforce full-time I was working in IT so wages were rising from the increase in Internet usage and telecom, etc. In 2001 I got laid off from Agilent Tech when our sales dropped from 10B to 1B in 3 quarters and our total company payroll was 1B, they laid off 30K of us out of about 45k the next year. That's really the last year I worked in a "corporate" environment and have been wondering what's been going on in the wage department since.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lnvanry View Post
    We still get a standard 1-3% cost of living adjustment every year....although I don't know how much longer that is going to persist...plus an annual bonus (which can range from 1-50% of your salary). This applies to salaried entry level to upper mgmt....exec mgmt has a complete different setup.
    what industry/market do you work in?

Team RamRod
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Yup, our wages are supposed to increase something like whatever the national inflation rate is plus 1%. It isn't really matching inflation in the area for this local though. Shitty money draining provinces like Quebec and NewFoundLand bring down the average and how they measure inflation is bogus. It should look at how much housing prices, rent, food, etc. cost from one year to the next.

In 2007 we started at 37.13 an hour and this year we get 43.37.

http://www.local92.com/uploads/pdf/a...ments_2009.pdf

O yah, I have no idea what a W2 job is but I put this up anyways.

Has lost 58lbs!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

$43 an hour? Fucking unions.....

Team RamRod
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Fridays are time and a half, weekends doubletime, anything over 10 hrs is doubletime. We work minimum 10 hours and if you work over 10 hrs they have to provide a second hot meal or else give us 30 bucks tax free. There's a lot of other perks too

Has lost 58lbs!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US it's the unions that are bleeding us dry.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the US it's the unions that are bleeding us dry.
    Yep
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It's what the market bears, union or non-union.

$43 an hour is not a lot of money these days. It's a gross of $86,000 per year.
    It's an accurate statement that our current spending will not be increasing the debt We've stopped spending money that we don't have.

-- Jack Lew, then director of the Office of Management and Budget, in Feb. 16, 2011 testimony before the Senate Budget Committee.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

only 12% of the US work force is unionized and less than 50% have bennies even close to the ones that they used to get in Detroit, etc. back in the early 80's it was about 20% before Reagan came to town.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It might not be tons, but I'd still kill for that salary right now. Significantly higher.
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Team RamRod
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

It's true, the average house up here goes for 689,700.00 and rent for a one bedroom is 1,666.00. This is just a temp job for me while I decide what I want to go back to school for and its a fallback job in case I ever get laid off or fired from my career one.

Fort McMurray - Alberta Labour Market Information

Has lost 58lbs!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If I make $12 an hour I'm all

Team RamRod
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

If I make $12 an hour I'm all
    McDonald's starts you out at 18$ with benefits

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LikeARock View Post
    McDonald's starts you out at 18$ with benefits
    STFU..seriously..?

Team RamRod
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

STFU..seriously..?

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    It might not be tons, but I'd still kill for that salary right now. Significantly higher.
    Me, too.

I've never made that wage.

As for unions, as stated above by another poster, only 12% of the US workforce is unionized.

I think if you remove the government unionized workers, the private sector is only 8% unionized.

I don't understand all of the attention unions get. (Negative attention, that is.)

primeau

Rep Points

what industry/market do you work in?
    aerospace and defense

primeau

Rep Points

Me, too.

As for unions, as stated above by another poster, only 12% of the US workforce is unionized.

I think if you remove the government unionized workers, the private sector is only 8% unionized.

I don't understand all of the attention unions get. (Negative attention, that is.)

gov't unions are CUSH though...particularly federal gov't (GS grade) pensions. I've heard of some crazy stories about people working their last 20th year with mad overtime making 150k"ish" and then the USG uses that 20th year income as their BASELINE for their pension...even if years 1-19 they only made 70k a year. The baseline is then adjusted for inflation every year too...its unbelievable.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

gov't unions are CUSH though...particularly federal gov't (GS grade) pensions. I've heard of some crazy stories about people working their last 20th year with mad overtime making 150k"ish" and then the USG uses that 20th year income as their BASELINE for their pension...even if years 1-19 they only made 70k a year. The baseline is then adjusted for inflation every year too...its unbelievable.
    GICH
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

.45 ACP rules!

Rep Points

We went two years without cost of living and merit increases. They were reinstated this year. Got a promotion and a 15% pay increase this year. Salary works out to $30/hr not including benefits.

.45 ACP rules!

Rep Points

Me, too.

They get the negative attention because that's what the companies broadcast and there's a lot of people upset about how little they get paid.

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Unions play a small part, but it is the top 1% that is bleeding America dry.
    Fucking Determined!

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

that is definitely more accurate than not..my brother-n-law works for the federal parks dept. in SF and just got put in charge of a new crew of about 10 older guys that are getting short to retirement. he has been tasked to get these guys ready to exit, none of them have any official titles, have had performance reviews in over 10 years, etc. he said he feels like Gabe Kotter and the Sweathogs.

Windy City
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Yes, Ivanry, this is....a sham.

A small number of people can do this...the rest of us are.....S.O.L.

As they're gov workers, who does, really pay?

IDIOT SAVANT

Rep Points

Got the cost of living increase every one of my 23 Air Force years. (Obviously some were bigger than others.) Haven't seen one since retiring in '03. Currently working for a Department of Energy contractor.
    Rules? You mean we have RULES for that???

45 and Alive!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Isn't that the truth. Constant whining about higher raises or additional benefits every year and ridiculous pension plans to boot. Any city with a union continues to get bled dry while the rest of the people foot the bill with higher fees and taxes. The citizens in Jacksonville Florida wouldn't put up with the tax raises to support the Union hostage negotiations so 15 people were let go instead to make up the money shortfall. That's what GM should have done. It will be a glorious day when all the unions are gone (No reason to have them anymore anyway) and everyone can compete for the jobs on the same ground. Hmmmm...Sounds like and outsourcing opportunity...
    Weight lifting is like " Mind over Matter". If my body doesn't mind---the weight doesn't matter!!!!!

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    Unions play a small part, but it is the top 1% that is bleeding America dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast