• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

The mental side of lifting...

gopro

NGA/IFPA Pro Bodybuilder
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
99 % of the training forum is dedicated to technique, exercises, routines, etc, as it should be. However, what can really set apart the good from the monumental...a great workout from a mind boggling one, is in your mind. Here are some things to remember when going to the gym...

1-BE POSITIVE...go into the gym with a good attitude toward training. Believe you will do better. Believe this workout will bring you closer to your goals.

2-VISUALIZE...before you get to the gym "see yourself" in your mind's eye lifting heavier, feeling stronger, and successfully completing all sets in your workout.

3-BE AGGRESSIVE...don't just lift the weights, attack them! Treat every rep as if it were your last. Lift like your life is on the line. Do whatever it takes to psych yourself up...yell, growl, think about things that piss you off, hit yourself in the head...get mad!

4-FOCUS...don't talk while lifting. Don't look around. Think about what you are doing, the muscle you are working. The mind muscle connection is REAL!

5-DON'T GET DOWN...if you don't break a record or don't have a great first set, DO NOT let that set the tone for the rest of your workout! Regroup. Leave failure behind. KNOW your next set will be better, and that each set after that will be EVEN BETTER!

6-DON'T GET COMPLACENT...pat yourself on the back after a great set or productive workout, but then, think to yourself how you will destroy your accomplishments in this workout in your next one. Your body is very adaptive, you must push further to progress to the next level.

7-DREAM...don't set limits. F the studies that say you can only get "so big." Screw those that say you can only grow really huge if on steroids. Your body is only limited by where your mind is willing to take you. There are no limits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threads like the one you just posted Gopro always makes me remember why I love to lift and want to exceed further in progressing my physique because of positive people like you... What you have wrote is so positive and true I have nothing to add.. You have hit in right on the head... The mental aspect of training is a big key and ingredient in the overall training.. To me it is what seperates the real from the unreal...

Glad you liked it. Set yourself apart my friend!

Great thread Gopro!!! :thumb:

When I'm in the gym, i tune everything out, i like going in the morning cause everyone there is the same, they want to work out not socialize.

That and diet are what I would say are the two toughest things about working out, being able to mentally push your body past the "I want to give up" point, alot of times you suprise yourself early on just how far you really can go when you feel like "your done for."

I workout at home in the garage, my neighbor came by one time and asked why I didn't have any music on. I told him it's hard for me to FOCUS and VISUALIZE when I have music playing. For some it's a motivator, for me it's a distraction. Thanks for the post GP, it's a great reminder.

great thread gopro, sometimes theses things are forgoten. thanks.

Originally posted by gopro
3-BE AGGRESSIVE...don't just lift the weights, attack them! Treat every rep as if it were your last. Lift like your life is on the line. Do whatever it takes to psych yourself up...yell, growl, think about things that piss you off, hit yourself in the head...get mad!

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks about stuff to piss you off just to lift more. I imagine someone is raping my wife, I try to picture it as vivid as possible, then pretend the weights is that guy. It's helped me get some of my best workouts:D

Nice post GP.

Re: Re: The mental side of lifting...

Originally posted by bludevil

Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks about stuff to piss you off just to lift more. I imagine someone is raping my wife, I try to picture it as vivid as possible, then pretend the weights is that guy. It's helped me get some of my best workouts:D

Nice post GP.

Only problem with this is that I might not lift the weight...I might start choking it, banging it aginst the wall, and throwing it off the top of a building! WHEW!

I'm glad all you guys like this post!

IML Gear Cream!
Think I'm gonna make an article out of this post :)

Originally posted by gopro
7-DREAM...don't set limits. F the studies that say you can only get "so big." Screw those that say you can only grow really huge if on steroids. Your body is only limited by where your mind is willing to take you. There are no limits!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats the one i like Gp!! gotta set the goal as big as possible, Screw hittin a target thats easy to obtain. Think big!!

Great advises, Gopro....I really need them!

- Josh

GETTING RIPPED! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lifter:

Hey! It worked. Thanks GP! :thumb:

Think big to get big fellas!!!!!!!!

Awesome post as always GP, you are one motivating SOB! You should change your name to Anthony GOPRO Robbins

Originally posted by Vale Tudo
Awesome post as always GP, you are one motivating SOB! You should change your name to Anthony GOPRO Robbins

Thanks VT. I just want everyone to be their best and to succeed. Maybe I will change my name LOL!

Although I must say, as a 160lbs weakling, this might trigger some laughter and have an adverse effect.

UNTIL THEY SAW ME USING BIGGER DB'S ON THE INCLINE PRESS THAN THEY DID !!!

IML Gear Cream!
Originally posted by Preacher
Although I must say, as a 160lbs weakling, this might trigger some laughter and have an adverse effect.

UNTIL THEY SAW ME USING BIGGER DB'S ON THE INCLINE PRESS THAN THEY DID !!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Back