IronMagLabs

Man Dies of Caffeine Overdose prompting possible Ban

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Post Man Dies of Caffeine Overdose prompting possible Ban

In scary recent news, a British man has died of a caffeine overdose, according to a report. The 23-year-old, Michael Lee Bedford, apparently poisoned himself after using just two spoonfuls of caffeine powder. His grandmother now wants this particular lethal product banned.
    Cause...Accidental Death with body outline

The report on this tragic death comes from The Nottingham Post. Apparently a friend of Bedford's bought the caffeine powder for just $5.26 online. He mixed it with an energy drink and within fifteen minutes was sweating and vomiting blood. Bedford didn't use the product according to its directions, and took a level of caffeine that was 70 times the amount found in energy drinks. The product's recommended dose was just 1/16th of a teaspoon.

The case of Michael's death was heard before a Coroner's court, with a verdict of accidental death returned. The coroner Dr. Nigel Chapman noted, ""Caffeine is so freely available on the internet for £3.29 but it's so lethal if taken in the wrong dose and here we see the consequence." Friends and family of Michael's are distrought and angry over the death. His aunt even said "there should be a warning on it saying it can kill."

Caffeine in this situation is clearly a deadly drug, like many other drugs used at parties. The difference is that caffeine is perfectly legal, so you wouldn't expect this. Obviously anyone who doesn't heed the instructions on a product will suffer the negative consequences. You can find plenty of examples in your kitchen that you just shouldn't overdo it with. However, there should be a significant warning on this particular product to warn of serious health issues and that it can potentially kill someone who takes too much. Michael's Grandmother even asked that this particular caffeine powder be banned. Does she have a point?

Do you think the caffeine product maker should be liable or is it really up to the person who takes the product to use it responsibly? Should this particular product be banned?

Man Dies of Caffeine Overdose prompting... | Gather

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

bitches....................please
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

i knew it.

Hell no it shouldnt be banned. if i smoke a cig while pumping gas and i catch fire, do i sue the cig company or the gas station?

it'll never happen, this caffeine ban. and if it does, coffee is still legal and not going anywhere. fuck the UK. they've already banned toothpaste and floss, right? fuck em in both ears

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/threads/200295-SFW-s-AbaXen-Journal-A-Summer-Blast
    $100 MINIMUM ORDER. FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $150! DISCOUNT CODE = freeship15
    ORDERS OVER $250 AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED TO WIN $250 IN FREE PRODUCTS!
    ANY ORDER CONTAINING 1 BOTTLE OF A BLEND GETS FREE SHIPPING!

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Bedford didn't use the product according to its directions, and took a level of caffeine that was 70 times the amount found in energy drinks. The product's recommended dose was just 1/16th of a teaspoon.
    people don't realize that caffeine is a drug even though it's naturally occurring. he probably should have read the directions, sucks for a young life to be lost for nothing.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

wrk'n project mayhem

Rep Points

ok, i was wondering where they got that other story involving dark geared god.

yeah well with all due respect to his poor grandmother- he sounds like he was probably a dipshit

/note to self- adding with all due respect to that doesn't make it anyless cold blooded

orbitnutrition.com
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

:facepalm: that is all

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The law of natural selection at work. Dont ban caffine ban stupid people.

45 and Alive!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Just goes to prove:
    A:This is gods way of weeding out idiots too stupid to be breeding.
    B: There's not enough chlorine in the gene pool.
    Weight lifting is like " Mind over Matter". If my body doesn't mind---the weight doesn't matter!!!!!

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastico View Post
    fuck the UK. they've already banned toothpaste and floss, right?

Rep Points

LOL funny..
    Guess I am gonna eat 100g worth of vitamin c now LMAO..

Rep Points

i knew it.

Hell no it shouldnt be banned. if i smoke a cig while pumping gas and i catch fire, do i sue the cig company or the gas station?

it'll never happen, this caffeine ban. and if it does, coffee is still legal and not going anywhere. fuck the UK. they've already banned toothpaste and floss, right? fuck em in both ears
    Fucking idiot him and you

Rep Points

i knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by awhites1 View Post
    ok, i was wondering where they got that other story involving dark geared god.

yeah well with all due respect to his poor grandmother- he sounds like he was probably a dipshit

/note to self- adding with all due respect to that doesn't make it anyless cold blooded
    "Bless her/his heart" is another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by OrbitNutrition View Post
    :facepalm: that is all
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dave 236 View Post
    There r too many of them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer2be08 View Post
    LOL funny..
    Hell ya if 4 of my multivitamins r good for me 30 must be great!

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

He obviously didn't read the directions so what fucking good would a warning label have been?

I understand the old dear is obviously distraught about this and wants something to channel that anger into, but for fuck's sake.

Before i buy ANY new supplement i research the ingredients, usually from journal sources as well as testimonials from people i trust, work out just how much i should take before even buying it, obviously weight up the cost factor, and only then will i buy it IF im completely satisfied.

If this guy had done even a shred of research into caffeine he'd have immediately found out how dangerous it is in large quantities. If he'd have read the fucking label he'd have found out how much he should have taken. Anybody who has taken caffeine would have known these things too. If he'd even applied some sort of logic to it by saying "Okay, so a red bull drink gets me buzzed and its only got...huh, 52mg? Wow, i better be careful considering a teaspoon is 5g and theres 500g in the whole bag!".

Goddamn, they could have sent him protein and he wouldn't have noticed he read so little of the packaging. Theres even a "servings per bag" on most supps. Surely he must have noticed he couldnt get a few hundred teaspoons out of there?

I know speaking ill of the dead is bad and all, and it's horrible that this guy has died before his time, but come on. The fuck up that killed him was his own.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer2be08 View Post
    LOL funny..
    exuse me sir,but anything over 500mg at a time is a pro oxidant.

=p

all kidding aside,doesn't anyone care about what goes into their body? now we have to talk about people researching caff???

stop the insanity!!!!!

Rep Points

i knew it.

fuck the UK. they've already banned toothpaste and floss, right?
    LOL

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by dave 236 View Post
    Pragmatism at its finest

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

The UK could ban stupidity, but we got enough of them here...
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Rep Points

Damn,I'd hate to be the guinea pig,lab rat or whatever the hell to get tested with that shit...sad, sad, sad,young kid...

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

caffeine is water soluble. just snort a small line and its like drinking 4 espressos at once.

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/threads/200295-SFW-s-AbaXen-Journal-A-Summer-Blast
    $100 MINIMUM ORDER. FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $150! DISCOUNT CODE = freeship15
    ORDERS OVER $250 AUTOMATICALLY ENTERED TO WIN $250 IN FREE PRODUCTS!
    ANY ORDER CONTAINING 1 BOTTLE OF A BLEND GETS FREE SHIPPING!

BOARD REP

Rep Points

This is ridiculous. You can overdose on almost every substance in the world if you are being a bone head and don't pay attention to the recommended dosages. This ban has no chance IMO. Not even worth discussing.

Rep Points

i knew it.

100% agree!!!

Rep Points

how many mg of caffeine is too much?

DRSE owns this shithole
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

i knew it.

limey cock-suckers wont ban shit. They will spend an eternity complaining about it though
    TheCaptn' is not a registered proctologist. His post are for his amusement only. Please seek proper medical advice if symptoms persist.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Autobot View Post
    how many mg of caffeine is too much?
    I don't know of any toxic values, but as far as bodybuilding standards are concerned, 800mg a day is right at the egde. If you're taking fat burners in three doses, you're usually getting 600mg a day, but these are whole day numbers, I'm not sure what single dose numbers are. If you're taking a pre-workout, you're probably taking between 150mg-300mg in a single setting.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I don't know of any toxic values, but as far as bodybuilding standards are concerned, 800mg a day is right at the egde. If you're taking fat burners in three doses, you're usually getting 600mg a day, but these are whole day numbers, I'm not sure what single dose numbers are. If you're taking a pre-workout, you're probably taking between 150mg-300mg in a single setting.
    Yeah.... and such reckless misuse of a product does not mean that it should be banned. People misuse alcohol on a constant basis, yet, it is not banned (again) due to this.

Rep Points

I have taken 3 scoops of AS-Gt at once, that is over 400 mgs and it is just too much for my body. Some people can take a ton but most that I have ran into used to or still take products like Adderal or the like. That or they drink a TON of coffee and have perpetual adrenal fatigue.

Rep Points

Yah was just wondering cause I take 2 alpha T2, 1 OxyElite Pro, 2 Lean Xtreme in mourning 2 scoops Jack3d evening before gym with 1,Oxyelite,1 alpha,1 lean xtreme also

Rep Points

its the guys fult.
    WTF done he know 100mg id 1/10th of a gram, couldent he just look and know i mean WTF.
    its not there fult.
    i usepure caffeein powder at times and i waigh it and i DEFF wouldent just "take a few scoops"

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Acute toxic dose is dependent on bodyweight and individual sensitivity, if an average 70kg man who had never taken caffeine before took 5 grams in one dose i would be worried. 10 grams and he'd surely die soon after.

Also depends on susceptibility to heart failure resulting from that level of CNS stimulation, too. If you have a heart condition, a previous heart condition, or even a family history of sudden cardiac death or CHD, then caffeine probably isn't the supplement for you. To a lesser extent, the same goes for high blood pressure.

You can also get fucked up by taking a relatively low does (50-200mg) on a regular basis for an extended length of time. You can even get withdrawal symptoms and everything.

Drugs are drugs. Just because they sell it in shops doesn't mean they can't do damage easily. I think its easy to forget that even paracetamol and aspirin can kill you, and some people pop them like candy.

Hell, even chocolate has a lethal dose. Its a few pounds, but i'm sure some fatty somewhere has managed it.
    http://www.getlifting.info