Man Dies of Caffeine Overdose prompting possible Ban
In scary recent news, a British man has died of a caffeine overdose, according to a report. The 23-year-old, Michael Lee Bedford, apparently poisoned himself after using just two spoonfuls of caffeine powder. His grandmother now wants this particular lethal product banned.
Cause...Accidental Death with body outline
The report on this tragic death comes from The Nottingham Post. Apparently a friend of Bedford's bought the caffeine powder for just $5.26 online. He mixed it with an energy drink and within fifteen minutes was sweating and vomiting blood. Bedford didn't use the product according to its directions, and took a level of caffeine that was 70 times the amount found in energy drinks. The product's recommended dose was just 1/16th of a teaspoon.
The case of Michael's death was heard before a Coroner's court, with a verdict of accidental death returned. The coroner Dr. Nigel Chapman noted, ""Caffeine is so freely available on the internet for £3.29 but it's so lethal if taken in the wrong dose and here we see the consequence." Friends and family of Michael's are distrought and angry over the death. His aunt even said "there should be a warning on it saying it can kill."
Caffeine in this situation is clearly a deadly drug, like many other drugs used at parties. The difference is that caffeine is perfectly legal, so you wouldn't expect this. Obviously anyone who doesn't heed the instructions on a product will suffer the negative consequences. You can find plenty of examples in your kitchen that you just shouldn't overdo it with. However, there should be a significant warning on this particular product to warn of serious health issues and that it can potentially kill someone who takes too much. Michael's Grandmother even asked that this particular caffeine powder be banned. Does she have a point?
Do you think the caffeine product maker should be liable or is it really up to the person who takes the product to use it responsibly? Should this particular product be banned?
Man Dies of Caffeine Overdose prompting... | Gather