Divine Nutrition

creatine and kidney health

Rep Points

creatine and kidney health

Hey everyone. I'm new here and had question. I generaly use creatine before and after workouts and even on off days. Recently I had a severe pain in my foot that was mainly in the joints. I had no injury that I can think of and sort of just woke up one day with it. It has been about three weeks and it appears to be getting better. My wife said it might be gout. She said that the excessive creatine and protien supplements could be causing it. Anybody have any ideas? The wife is a nurse by the way. I have stopped the creatine (which was a monohydrate) and tried to drink more water.

Rep Points

Ask her to show you a study that confirms her opinion.

Rep Points

She was hating on me, she just was saying that if it is gout, which i have never had or heard of, that it is from high acid levels due to the kidneys not filtering as well. She told me to make sure I was drinking plenty of water to make sure. Thats all. I do probably over use the stuff, so I thought a break is needed.

Rep Points

5g a day for Creatine is plenty. Drinking plenty of water is a good idea. Creatine is a very safe supplement, but more is not better. I've been taking 5g a day for years w/no problems with kidney function or anything else.

Rep Points

Good deal. Thanks. I know sometimes I add an extra scoop and probably haven't been getting enough h20 lately. It probably isn't even related but just made me a bit curious.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

It does sound like gout. Are you fat? Do you consume a lot of fruit, fruit juice, or sweets?
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    Good deal. Thanks. I know sometimes I add an extra scoop and probably haven't been getting enough h20 lately. It probably isn't even related but just made me a bit curious.
    No problem-good luck.

5/3/1
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
    She said that the excessive creatine and protien supplements could be causing it.
    Excessive?

Anyway, I agree that it may be gout. Until you get to a doctor, I suggest keeping up with protein, water intake, and creatine while keeping the fructose down.
    The doctor will check your uric acid. If he prescribes allopurinol, ask about febuxostat (Uloric).

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    It does sound like gout. Are you fat? Do you consume a lot of fruit, fruit juice, or sweets?
    No, I'm don't eat a lot of sweets, or fruits for that matter. I do drink beer and crown/coke more than I should.

Bioidentical Bodybuilder
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Coke's pretty sweet.

Gout is highly associated with both insulin resistance and fructose consumption.
    Wondering where to start? Confused? "Homework 1" will get you started.

Think you're ready for the "next step"? Take this test.

Daredevils are Shredded
    Find out why...
    (Now you can find out why... in Hebrew!)

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

If you do think you have Gout, I'd suggest seeing your doctor. I just don't see any correlation between gout and Creatine use.