Leaked document: EPA knowingly approved bee-killing pesticide

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Post Leaked document: EPA knowingly approved bee-killing pesticide

by Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

A Colorado beekeeper recently obtained a leaked document revealing that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) knows a popular crop pesticide is killing off honey bees, but has allowed its continued approval anyway. Despite opposition from its own scientists, EPA officials first gave the a-okay to Bayer CropScience's toxic pesticide clothianidin in 1993 based on the company's own flawed safety studies. But now it has been revealed that the EPA knew all along about the dangers of clothianidin and decided to just ignore them.

By now, most people know that honeybees are dying off at an incredibly disturbing rate. Colony collapse disorder (CCD), a condition where bees stray from the hive and never find their way back, is nixing millions of nature's pollinators every year. Previous studies have pinpointed various environmental toxins as the primary culprits, including toxic pesticides like clothianidin (http://www.naturalnews.com/028429_c...).

And the leaked document, which was written by the EPA's Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention, explains clearly that "[c]lothianidin's major risk concern is to nontarget insects (honey bees)" and that "[a]cute toxicity studies to honey bees show that clothianidin is highly toxic on both a contact and an oral basis." The letter was in response to a request from Bayer to have clothianidin approval expanded for use on cotton and mustard in addition to its other approved uses.

So if clothianidin poses a significant threat against honey bees, and the EPA has known about this all along, why was it ever approved in the first place? And if Bayer's original safety studies have been shown to be contradictory to actual science, why has the EPA failed to go after Bayer for falsifying safety data? Apparently those who make the final decisions at the EPA have no actual interest in the truth and would rather cater to corporate interests at the expense of public health.

Several European nations have outlawed the use of clothianidin, including Germany, Francy, Italy and Slovenia. U.S. growers of conventional crops, however, continue to use the dangerous chemical thanks to corrupt EPA officials. And when all the honey bees die and there are no pollinators left to grow food, these same EPA officials will be responsible for the mass murder of millions of people.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Prince View Post
    by Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

So if clothianidin poses a significant threat against honey bees, and the EPA has known about this all along, why was it ever approved in the first place? And if Bayer's original safety studies have been shown to be contradictory to actual science, why has the EPA failed to go after Bayer for falsifying safety data? Apparently those who make the final decisions at the EPA have no actual interest in the truth and would rather cater to corporate interests at the expense of public health.
    unfortunately everything in the US revolves around money
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by LAM View Post
    unfortunately everything in the US revolves around money
    yuppers.

although they say if all bees were to die the entire planet would die off in a matter of years, not sure how true that is?

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yuppers.

although they say if all bees were to die the entire planet would die off in a matter of years, not sure how true that is?
    I don't know about that, but it would probably make a big impact since bees pollinate a lot of flowers and such.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

yuppers.

not far from the truth, we lose the bees and by-by to the natural pollination process of about 50 types of food. many things would have to be grown directly from seed but not all plants produce them.
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

at least it was FDA approved
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Be Genetically Different
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

When the bee's go......we go.

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

yuppers.

Valentines would suck for a few years until some other insect, once intimidated by bee's, would step up and take over the role... Less competition means more for everyone else...Butterflies would thrive on the abundance of flowers, other bee species would probably thrive....but god damn I love honey it would suck to not have that anymore and that's why I rescued a honey bee from drowning the other day. It was laying in a puddle fighting to stay up so I took a leaf from the tree behind me and scooped it out, laid it in the sun and watched it dry out and fly away.....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    Valentines would suck for a few years until some other insect, once intimidated by bee's, would step up and take over the role... Less competition means more for everyone else...Butterflies would thrive on the abundance of flowers, other bee species would probably thrive....but god damn I love honey it would suck to not have that anymore and that's why I rescued a honey bee from drowning the other day. It was laying in a puddle fighting to stay up so I took a leaf from the tree behind me and scooped it out, laid it in the sun and watched it dry out and fly away.....
    My dad and my uncle have honey bees. Way better than that shit you get at the store.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

RDRSE Ghost Assassin
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by blazeftp View Post
    When the bee's go......we go.
    well the green movemnet would think people going is a good thing
    If you strike me down(ban me)I'll become more powerful than ever.. Don't say i don't warn you.

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by vortrit View Post
    My dad and my uncle have honey bees. Way better than that shit you get at the store.
    hell yea!

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by vortrit View Post
    We had honey bees living in a dead tree about half a mile from our lakehouse in Texas, my dad would suit up in his coveralls, tape the sleeves and ankles, tie a tshirt ninja mask on with goggles and go grab us some comb dripping with honey, better than candy...This is the same man who went fishing in an alligator refuge in a rubber raft because he had a theory the gators knew where the best fish were.....
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    We had honey bees living in a dead tree about half a mile from our lakehouse in Texas, my dad would suit up in his coveralls, tape the sleeves and ankles, tie a tshirt ninja mask on with goggles and go grab us some comb dripping with honey, better than candy...This is the same man who went fishing in an alligator refuge in a rubber raft because he had a theory the gators knew where the best fish were.....
    Wow they pretty crazy. They just have hives that they built and then bought the bees. Honeycomb is still awesome though.
    DRSE Reconnaissance