Divine Nutrition

Pain in right calve

A D M I N I S T R A T O R

Rep Points

Pain in right calve

I have the beginnings of a varicose vein in my rights calve. After a calve workout last week I have felt a little pain around the area where the varicose vein is. Its not bad but it feels like there is pressure pushing outwards and my right foot swells at night a little. Maybe its just coincidence that the pain is located around the vein.

suggestions ?
    " A cookie without sugar is just a cracker" ~ ancient voodoo proverb
    "A man with infinite patience is never left waiting."~ROID's past incarnation

fiendish thingy
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ROID View Post
    I have the beginnings of a varicose vein in my rights calve. After a calve workout last week I have felt a little pain around the area where the varicose vein is. Its not bad but it feels like there is pressure pushing outwards and my right foot swells at night a little. Maybe its just coincidence that the pain is located around the vein.

suggestions ?
    Varicosity in a vein occurs due to faulty valves.

Basically, the blood in your veins, as opposed to your arterial vessels, are low pressure. You have these little valves in your veins that catch blood as muscle contraction moves blood upwards.

A faulty valve means that the valves aren't closing completely and therefore blood will pool in the vein since it is having a hard time traveling towards the heart. When blood pools, the vein distends, and that is visually what you see in a varicose vein, stretching/bloating.

As far as pain in the area...I'm no so sure if that is related to the vein. It could be, but veins are relatively superficial and soft, so I don't imagine inward distention would irritate deeper tissue. However, general edema (swelling) in the area increases pressure on local tissues, that may be causing pain. What there any sort of recent trauma on that part of your leg?

The swelling in your foot, the same side as the varicose vein, implies a lack of sufficient blood flow in the area. That could occur for many reasons though.

There are ways to enhance venous return, you can sit on the floor and put you legs up on the wall.

However, this isn't medical advice and there is the possibility for contraindication because blood clots can form in varicosities due to a lack of blood movement. Freeing a blood clot into your cardiovascular system can be dangerous.

But, you're likely an active person, so it shouldn't be much of a concern, but I would get it checked out to be sure. Varicose veins are common and there is well established medical protocol for those kinds of things.

A little more insight -

the most common vein to become varicose Great saphenous vein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    fufu's 1337 Journal

Your diet will set you free.

I hate exercise, I love training.

A D M I N I S T R A T O R

Rep Points

I think I just strained a muscle. the thing is that the pain doesn't change with movement.
    " A cookie without sugar is just a cracker" ~ ancient voodoo proverb
    "A man with infinite patience is never left waiting."~ROID's past incarnation

Amateur Gynecologist
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Walk it off, pussy.
    DRSE Reconnaissance

Rep Points

You should go to doctor