• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Phineas decides to move north of vag with 5/3/1

Mesocycle A, Week 2: Military Press (Jan 31)

Warmup:
5 x 50 lbs
5 x 65 lbs
5 x 80 lbs

Working Sets: (goal for rep-out: 9)

3 x 90 lbs
3 x 105 lbs
115 lbs x > 3 = 7

Bar Dips:

10 x BW (190 lbs)
10 x BW
10 x BW
10 x BW
10 x BW

Chinups:

10 x BW
10 x BW
9 x BW
10 x BW
7 x BW

-------------

Dissappointed with my rep out tonight. I needed 9 to improve on last session's 110 x 10 rep out. So, this is the first session of the program (8 so far) where I haven't improved on my 1 RM according to Wendler's formula. I'm not obsessing over the formula, but it gives me a tangible goal to reach rather than guessing how many reps I think I can do on weights I'm use to limiting myself to a certain rep range.

Bar dips went waaaay better than last time. Lots of fun on those. Chinups didn't go so well. I made most of the reps, but the quality wasn't as high on a number of the reps as I expect of myself. I usually perform very strict, full ROM chins. Tonight they weren't the best. Passable, but not the best. I need better chinup endurance. It's tough at 190 lbs, and after doing a bunch of dips.

Dont worry about it too much, there will come a point where the weight will outstrip your ability to keep the same volume. These things come in waves i find. At some point you'll randomly get 13 reps or something and have absolutely no fucking idea when your strength improved.

Also may be worth looking into your pre-workout nutrition slightly. I always do worse if im not fully hydrated in terms of water, electrolytes, and of course - sugar.

A big scoop of dextrose in a lucozade sport usually sorts me out.

Workouts are looking great :)

Dont worry about it too much, there will come a point where the weight will outstrip your ability to keep the same volume. These things come in waves i find. At some point you'll randomly get 13 reps or something and have absolutely no fucking idea when your strength improved.

Also may be worth looking into your pre-workout nutrition slightly. I always do worse if im not fully hydrated in terms of water, electrolytes, and of course - sugar.

A big scoop of dextrose in a lucozade sport usually sorts me out.

Workouts are looking great :)

Thanks Gaz.

Ya, I'm not too worried about the rep-out. Actually, I think I could benefit from more upper body stretching. I foam roll my back extensively and stretch out my pecs but other than that all my stretching is lower body, which tends to need it more. However, I'm finding on military day my delts don't seem as geared to go as my legs are on squat and dead day. Military is really challenging when you press strict. I bring the bar down to my chest, pause, and then press with no leg momentum. Unlike the other big lifts where I can slowly belt out a few painful ones, with military is hard from the start and then I just stop. There's no getting half way and struggling to the stop; when I have no more in me that bar just won't move passed my chin, haha.

My pressing on the dips was fantastic, though. I probably could start adding weight for 10 rep sets now, so at least I know my pressing/pushing is improving.

As for food, I usually take in about 90g carbs through potatoes or pasta an hour to an hour and a half before training, so I don't think it's an energy issue. I've thought about dextrose in the past but I just moved into an apartment with my girlfriend and have been working hard to cut diet costs. I abandoned creatine and BCAAs (not really necessary when bulking, but I'll use when cutting later this spring) as well as other obscure supplements like red rheshi (for a while I was going overboard). Now, I use a multivitamin and whey isolate once a day.

Keeping it simple with good food and hard, smart work.

Mesocycle A, Week 3: Squats (Feb 3)

Warmup:

5 x 100 lbs
5 x 125 lbs
5 x 150 lbs

Working Sets: (goal for rep-out: 7)

3 x 185 lbs
3 x 210 lbs
235 lbs x > 3 = 8

10 x 160 lbs
10 x 160 lbs
10 x 160 lbs
10 x 160 lbs
10 x 160 lbs

Planks:

1:15 x BW (190)

---------

Best session of the program so far. Last session I maxed on the rep out at 225 lbs for 8 reps. Tonight I hit the same reps but with 10 lbs more. So, I increased my 8 rep max by 10 lbs in about a little over a week. Very happy with that. The assistance squats were even deeper than last time, almost ATG for the first couple sets. They felt amazing. My achilies and hip flexibility has improved drastically from my increased squat depth.

Planks were pure torture. That's all I have to say about that...

Next up is bench.

Nice work :)

Squats and Deads fly up on this program. Its silly.

I've lost interest in bodybuilding. All I'm after is strength (lots of it) and general health. And, it's only for myself. Most people in gyms just want to improve themselves. Maybe lose some weight, gain some weight, get stronger, get some general conditioning, whatever.

You are in no place to judge every fucking person who asks how they gain some mass or get strong.

(to stepaukas) I'll ask you nicely to please stay out of my journal. This is pretty much all I'm here for anymore, so I can get advice and encouragement as I go through a challenging but rewarding program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stepaukas, are really that desperate to get one up on Phineas that you come into his journal and create a reason to insult him out of thin air?

Get a life, man. Seriously.

Ive never even heard of stepaukas!

Consider yourself lucky.

He's the biggest douch on this board. Everyone hates him, yet he continues posting his riteous bullshit talking down to everyone because he thinks bodybuilding or strength training is silly if you're not doing it specifically for a sport -- so basically 90% of IM forum members.

He and I had a period of back and forth arguments around summer I think it was, although it was started from him. Basically, he joined the board and was asking for advice on putting on some muscle. He's predominantly an endurance athlete. He has a background in some random sports and is currently a "pro" cyclist. People gave advice but he never really responded. Then, he started giving advice -- terrible advice. It's not that he doesn't know his stuff...I mean christ he has decades of experience over me -- but in a different realm. He never really knew his audience. A guy starts a thread asking for advice on how to put on muscle or get stronger and he'd come in telling them to do shit that really isn't effective for what the OP wanted. Also, he'd use almost every post of his to mention all the sports he's done...basically always came off as an insecure little prick wanting to show off that he's so "in the know" on sports training when really no one here gives a fuck about what he has to say.

I would argue against his advice, as we all do on here, to ensure the OP is sent in the right direction. Stepakaus doesn't like people not agreeing with him. It seemed he was trying to get a one-up on me. Kept PM'ing me asking my athletic background, to which I never respondend. Eventually he PM'd me with what can be described only as a childish, sensless temper tantrum. He swore, used terrible grammar, insulted me with accussations based on nothing, and used "lol" a lot. Incidentally, he has a limited lexicon....

I responded, we had a chain of messages where he basically got no where and I picked him apart about how much of an idiot (he really is slow-witted...try and find our thread on bodyfat and cardiovascular health...he calls my 39:17 10km time "at least you're trying" and says 33 minutes or so is "average"...everyone shoots him down with research and he just doesn't get it...) he is and no one likes him, he's a douch, all that jazz, and eventually the messages stopped because it was just getting retarded.

Now, he made a stupid post in my journal accussing me of being small I guess because he thinks I'm that guy in the video you posted, even though if he had half a brain he would have read the posts and realized you posted the video of some random dude from youtube. He made this post because he was once again being a dick in some new member's thread where the OP clearly states he wants to bulk up -- after all, it is a BODYBUILDING forum -- and stepakaus seized the opportunity to as always question his wanting to gain muscle if it's not for a sport.

Now you have the back story. :coffee:

Mesocycle A, Week 3: Bench (Feb 5)

Warmup:

5 x 90 lbs
5 x 110 lbs
5 x 130 lbs

Working Sets: (goal for rep-out: 6)

5 x 165 lbs
3 x 185 lbs
< 1 x 210 lbs = 5

10 x 130 lbs
10 x 130 lbs
10 x 130 lbs
10 x 130 lbs
10 x 130 lbs

DB Bench Rows:

10 x 80 lbs
10 x 85 lbs
10 x 90 lbs
10 x 90 lbs
10 x 90 lbs

(45 Degree Incline) Leg Press Calf Extensions:

15 x 450 lbs
15 x 450 lbs
15 x 450 lbs

--------------------

Fell one shy of my goal for the rep-out, but I tied my previous 5RM which is the one I based my bench numbers on for mesocycle A. I made that max in late-November but could never do it again so I'm pretty happy to have matched my best. I'm pretty sure I have more in me than that but I need to learn better leg drive. The powerlifting approach to bench is fairly new to me so I'm working on getting down. I'm used to years of benching with my feet planted far forward on the ground and relaxed -- I guess the bodybuilding approach. Now that I'm concerned with numbers and not muscle development I'm trying to learn leg drive. I use the 5 assistance sets to work on this, so in time I imagine my rep-outs will get even better.

Bench rows were great tonight. Next session will be deloading but now that I've got back to the 90s for full sets next mesocycle I'll work on getting to 10 rep sets of 100 lbs. Again, rep-outs are priority but there's no reason I can't have secondary goals. I fucking love bench rows.

Did a few sets of calves for fun because I hadn't for a week and a half and I like working calves. Nothing to say about that.

More good stuff! :) congrats!

Leg drive on bench is critical. For 1RMs i also squeeze my scapula together and arch so much the only parts of me touching the bench are my traps, rear delts and ass. Can't keep that sorta tightness for too many reps yet though, but the arch and leg drive are great.

A good way to gauge how much leg drive will give you is by doing floor press. If your weights on floor press and bench are practically the same, you need to use more leg drive. Bench should be way ahead, even though floor press has a shorter ROM.

I can barely get 190lbs for 8 reps on floor press, but bench is 220+. Its a pretty good test.

Gaz, what would you think about me removing planks as the assistance exercise on squat day to be replaced by BB Romanian Deadlifts?

Wendler calls for an ab exercise to go with deadlifts and another quad-dominant on squat day. I moved the quad assistance to deadlift today because I figured I would perform better on the split squats after a ham-dominant lift (deadlifts). Why have a shit ton of squatting in one session when I can space it out more evenly so I get frequent quad stimulation and squattng opportunities. So, I moved the ab exercise (planks) to squat day.

I'm wanting more posterior chain work in the program, and also more direct assistance for my squats and deads. Planks are great but I'll get plenty of core stimulation in the romanians -- not to mention all the squatting and deadlifting already in place.

What do you think? So, the layout for squat day would be:

(1.) Squats

-warmup
-5/3/1
-5 x 10 @ 50-60%

(2.) BB Romanian Deadlifts: 5 x 10 @ 50-60%

Its pretty much the same conclusion i came to with the assistance work. I was getting way to fried from the big 5/3/1 set to do another lift focused on the same movement, so switched them. Did my squat accessory on dead day and vice versa.

I think direct core work is all well and good, but if doing RDLs will help add 30lbs to your deadlift your core will already be stronger. I say go for it. More deadlifting is always a good thing ;)

Its pretty much the same conclusion i came to with the assistance work. I was getting way to fried from the big 5/3/1 set to do another lift focused on the same movement, so switched them. Did my squat accessory on dead day and vice versa.

I think direct core work is all well and good, but if doing RDLs will help add 30lbs to your deadlift your core will already be stronger. I say go for it. More deadlifting is always a good thing ;)

Awesome. Thanks!

Also, thought you'd be interested to here Monday I was in Vancouver seeing Motorhead! They come to Canada like once every 5 or 6 years, so I feel priviledged to have seen Lemmy while he's still alive, lol. They put on an incredible show. Not too many of my favourite bands left to see. Overkill is top on my list. I missed them last April in Vancouver but fortunately they have many years left in them. They just released their best album since 1991.

Awesome. Thanks!

Also, thought you'd be interested to here Monday I was in Vancouver seeing Motorhead! They come to Canada like once every 5 or 6 years, so I feel priviledged to have seen Lemmy while he's still alive, lol. They put on an incredible show. Not too many of my favourite bands left to see. Overkill is top on my list. I missed them last April in Vancouver but fortunately they have many years left in them. They just released their best album since 1991.

Nice!

I always thought Inferno was Motorhead's best album, and it was when a lot of people thought they were past their prime. Life's A Bitch is an absolutely fantastic track and totally what a Motorhead song should sound like.

I have a few gigs lined up in March. Got Devin Townsend, Electric Wizard, and Manowar all in one month \m/. Was gonna go see Kyuss aswell, but couldn't get tickets. My boss is going and i'm really fucking jealous since he's seen them like 3 times, haha. Also might be getting free (!!!) Sonisphere Festival tickets so i can see the big four :O

IML Gear Cream!
Nice!

I always thought Inferno was Motorhead's best album, and it was when a lot of people thought they were past their prime. Life's A Bitch is an absolutely fantastic track and totally what a Motorhead song should sound like.

I have a few gigs lined up in March. Got Devin Townsend, Electric Wizard, and Manowar all in one month \m/. Was gonna go see Kyuss aswell, but couldn't get tickets. My boss is going and i'm really fucking jealous since he's seen them like 3 times, haha. Also might be getting free (!!!) Sonisphere Festival tickets so i can see the big four :O

I'll agree that Inferno is an amazing album. I think it's their best late-era, which I define as post-Bastards (1993). As classic as the original alblums are (Overkill is my fav song) I tend to prefer mid-era stuff. Orgasmatron is probably my favourite album as a whole. Also love 1916. That sound they were doing, which I feel they revisted on Inferno, really hits the spot. Hoping to pick up their new album this weekend. It was released in Europe back in December but we just got it on Tuesday.

I've never really heard any of Manowar's stuff but I'm sure I'd like it. I love traditional power metal, not the cheesey dungeons and drangons keyboard pop shit. Judas Priest to me has always been the true definition of power metal.

The big 4 show will be awesome. It's coming to North America so I'm hoping to see it, too. I've seen all of them except Anthrax, and I'm a huge Belladonna-era fan so to see the reunited (mostly) lineup would be amazing. Seen Megadeth twice and I'll never pass an opportunity to see them again.

Mesocycle A, Week 3: Deadlifts (Thurs, Feb 9)

Warmup:

5 x 100 lbs
5 x 125 lbs
5 x 165 lbs

Working Sets: (goal for rep-out: 9)

5 x 205 lbs
3 x 230 lbs
< 1 x 255 lbs = 9

10 x 165 lbs
10 x 165 lbs
10 x 165 lbs
10 x 165 lbs
10 x 165 lbs

BB Split Squats:

10 x 135 lbs
10 x 145 lbs
10 x 145 lbs
10 x 155 lbs
10 x 145 lbs

-----------------

Great session tonight. I was surprised to hit my rep-out goal because I went into the workout with a strained lower back from my squat session a week ago (last rep I lost my back tightness). I was debating all day whether to do the deadlift workout or swap it with military press from this upcoming Saturday so that I could heal my back for deadlifts. I didn't have any pain or discomfort, but in certain postions I could feel tightness. I was worried that this would prevent me from really getting a good rep-out, but I decided to chance it.

Warmup felt great and I took a little extra time in between the sets, especially before the rep-out (about 5 or 6 minutes) to get myself mentally psyched. The rep-out felt great.

Split Squats went well, also. I said last time I would up the weight, which I did, but I stopped at 155 because it was fatiguing my quads a great deal. I did all the reps with proper form and solid tempo without hitting failure, so I'm sure I could have gone as high as 175-180 but I'm always weary to not go obliterate myself on the assistance work.

On Saturday I have military press then I'm done the 3 hard weeks for mesocycle A. 1 week deloading follows then I begin mesocycle B. I'm very pleased with the results so far.

Mesocycle A, Week 3: Military Press (Sat, Feb 12)

Warmup:

5 x 50 lbs
5 x 65 lbs
5 x 85 lbs

Working Sets: (goal for rep-out: 6)

5 x 95 lbs
3 x 110 lbs
< 1 x 125 lbs = 6

Bar Dips:

10 x BW (190 lbs)
10 x BW
10 x BW
10 x BW
10 x BW

Chinups:

10 x BW
10 x BW
9 x BW
8 x BW
6 x BW
7 x BW

------------------

Last workout of the mesocycle and it went pretty well. I hit my goal on the rep out which means I hit a PR on my military press, as 125 for 5 was my max I used to calculate my lifts for this program. So, while it may not seem significant to some in 3 weeks I've added 1 rep to 125 lb military press. I'm pretty stoked with that. That's a 20% improvement in only 3 workouts. Wendler really knows his shit! I even came a half rep from 7 but I stalled, and for those of you who perform strict (not bounce or half reps) military press you know that when you stall on the way up that's it you're done. Still, I'm very proud of my PR tonight. I should also mention that I hit 125 for 5 only once, and to be honest I suspec the barbell I was using is actually not the proper 45 lbs an olympic bar is supposed to be. All my other attempts at 125 have been 3 or 4 reps, so considering that my smooth 6 rep tonight was fucking brilliant.

My triceps were pretty worn by the time I got to dips so they just felt a little less fun than usual but I still banged out every rep with full ROM and smooth tempo.

Chinups, on the other hand, were once again my trouble area. At the end of the day they're only assistance so I'm not going to put my thought into improving my high-rep chinups. It is frustrating though considering for sets of 5 I'll add 35-50 lbs, but I can't complete 5 sets of 10 at BW. I think the problem is where they're placed in the workout, especially after the rep-out. Going from the rep out on millies to dips is tricky because, whereas the other 5 x 10 post rep-out assistance work (so I mean where you perform squats or bench again for 5 sets before doing your 1 main assistance exercise) is to be done at 50-60% intensity, which is fairly light, the lightest I can do on dips is my own weight, unless I use an assisted dip machine which I refuse. The result is I end up doing more work on those 5 sets relatively speaking than I do when I do my 5 sets of squats at 160. By the time I get to chinups I've done quite a bit of upper body volume.

Anyway, here's a summary of mesocycle A. I'll list all my rep outs and compare them to my original maxes I used to calculate my sets for the program.

Squats:

*initial max: 4 x 245 lbs

Week 1: 10 x 210 lbs
Week 2: 8 x 225 lbs
Week 3: 8 x 235 lbs

Bench:

*initial max: 5 x 210 lbs

Week 1: 9 x 185 lbs
Week 2: 8 x 195 lbs
Week 3: 5 x 210 lbs

Deadlifts:

*inital max: 3 x 275 lbs

Week 1: 12 x 230 lbs
Week 2: 10 x 245 lbs
Week 3: 9 x 255 lbs

Military Press:

*initial max: 5 x 125 lbs

Week 1: 10 x 110 lbs
Week 2: 7 x 115 lbs
Week 3: 6 x 125 lbs

Glad your happy with the way things are going, how long are you going to stick with the 5/3/1 for and what do you have in mind for after that?

Glad your happy with the way things are going, how long are you going to stick with the 5/3/1 for and what do you have in mind for after that?

I'm going to run it for five cycles, taking me into early-July. I want to cut in the near future again, which I might do in May or June but I'll probably just suck it up and take the softness and finish the program bulking because I don't want to compromise results on this program just to get leaner.

Though I'm loving this program I do want to try the other major strength programs like 5 x 5 and Westside. I might run another 5 months of 5/3/1 and then go for those programs. I really like the idea of making rep records at submaximal loads as opposed to having to limit yourself to certain rep ranges and attempting to lift new weights. I think it's less rigid.

Mesocycle A, Week 4 (DELOAD): Squats + Bench (Tues, Feb 15)

Squats:
5 x 95 lbs
5 x 125 lbs
5 x 150 lbs

BB Romanian Deadlifts:

10 x 135 lbs
10 x 135 lbs

Bench Press:

5 x 95 lbs
5 x 110 lbs
5 x 135 lbs

DB Bench Rows:

8 x 75 lbs
8 x 75 lbs

---------------------

Deload workout. Took me like 12 minutes. Nothing to say. Eager to squat some heavy weight.

Haha, thats one hell of a deload. 12 minutes!!!!

Good read. Been fun to follow along. Big fan of Westside-I think you'll like it.

Nice job

So how much are you going to bump up for the next cycle of this? Also, any weight gain?

Nice job

So how much are you going to bump up for the next cycle of this? Also, any weight gain?

I don't have my numbers with me but each cycle you add 5 lbs to an upper body estimated max and 10 lbs to a lower body. So, I think my estimated 1RM for deads in cycle A was 302, so for mesocycle B it becomes 312. However, every time you reduce it by 10% to give you a "working" max that you use to calculate the lifts.

Actually, looking at my workout schedule it seems that more or less the weights in mesocycle B are the weights from mesocycle A but one ahead. So, in week 2 of cycle A I had to squat minimum 3 at 225 lbs. In cycle B week 1 is minimum 5 for 220. So, you can see it slowly creeps up. I imagine cycle D is where it's going to start getting really tricky, as I'll then begin to hit weights I never have.

I haven't gained too much weight. Most of what I have gained was right in the beginning. I made the mistake of going straight from a cut to a bulk when I did 2 weeks of Built's Baby Got Back just to get my body used to higher volume training after the 1.5 months of low volume cutting training. I didn't know you're not supposed to do that. Even though I leaned down about 8 lbs I gained almost of all it back really fast due to the sudden shift in my body. I won't make that mistake again. I cut the calories slightly, so now my weight gain will be gradual. I'm not lean but I'm not fat. I'm okay with where I am. I'm in a good state to build strength and some mass, too. Off days my calories are 3,500 - 3,600 and on-days about 3,800 - 3,900. I run 3 x a week too as I'm training for the yearly 10 km race on May 1 in my city. I'm thinking of cycling my running to maybe 2 days/3 days just to give me a bit extra rest. At 190 lbs speed training runs at even 3-4 km takes a pretty big toll, especially when it's 2 hours after squatting.

Back