• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

dead lift question

Ogedi

man
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
my dead lift is pretty high ( 400s) but im afraid that i may have a form problem. My lifting buddies all get sore in the hams, glutes, and lower back. As for me? I only get it in the lower back. not even slightly sore anywhere else. Am i doing something wrong?

the first part of your lift should be like the bottom end of a squat movement until the bar clears your knees. Best bet is to record yourself on your phone and compare to a professional powerlifter. Deadlifts are definately not something you wanna be doing with bad form. you will regret it for the rest of your life if you destroy a disc in your low back

People are different. You may have differently proportioned limbs, you all may be tighter/less flexible in certain areas as opposed to other areas. You might have different DOMS responses.

I hardly ever get DOMS anywhere. Sometimes in the lower back after deads, sometimes nothing. The only times i get hamstring DOMS is after RDLs or good mornings.

If you're worried about your form post up a video.

You definitely don't want to hurt yourself doing dead lifts. You should ask someone at the gym you who are sure knows there stuff to watch your lift or take a video and post it. Lifting the extra 30 pounds isn't worth risking a serious injury. And soreness isn't a good indicator for much of anything.

first part of the lift...squatting motion. second...kepp back straight as in a perfect squat, head up...third...push with your legs, as you get to the top thrust out your hips to lock out. if you think, or if some you trust to asses your lift says your form is off, then lighten the weight until you get it right. it all technique.

Am i doing something wrong?

+1 for soreness not being an indicator of effectiveness.

I actually think it's odd that your buddies are "feeling it" after they train. Perhaps they aren't training frequently enough?

The only time I (and many others) experience and sort of DOMS is following a long layoff or when there is a substantial change in the routine.

if you're that worried about bad form and injuring yourself, either try to lower the weight and start with better/perfect form, or cut out that lift all together.
what are you training for? if you are wanting to be a powerlifter, i suggest learning proper form..
if you're training for a paticular sport, try another exercise or two..

Localized DOMS is a hard indicator of a proper form check. I don't get sore anywhere except my scapular muscles (teres major/minor, rhomboids, middle traps) when I dead lift. My glutes and hams stopped getting sore a loooooong time ago.

+1 for soreness not being an indicator of effectiveness.

I actually think it's odd that your buddies are "feeling it" after they train. Perhaps they aren't training frequently enough?

The only time I (and many others) experience and sort of DOMS is following a long layoff or when there is a substantial change in the routine.

Pretty much my thoughts also. If your getting consistant soreness in your lower back, week after week, there may be a form issue in play. Now if your enhanced & are getting back pumps, thats a whole different story.

my dead lift is pretty high ( 400s) but im afraid that i may have a form problem. My lifting buddies all get sore in the hams, glutes, and lower back. As for me? I only get it in the lower back. not even slightly sore anywhere else. Am i doing something wrong?

how are we suppose to know if you are doing something wrong? 400's BTW is NOT high..i can pull around 600 and the only thing that is ever swore is my lower back. RARELY my hams n' glutes

IML Gear Cream!
So 400's isn't high because you can do 600's?

Isn't it a little self centered to judge difficulty based only on your own ability?

I really don't care How much you do I only listed it just so people don't assume it's a super major technique problem considering at that weight I'd hurt my self if it was a major flaw. Besides I only weigh 152 as of this morning. I'm a small dude. I'm proud of my dl number :p

I really don't care How much you do I only listed it just so people don't assume it's a super major technique problem considering at that weight I'd hurt my self if it was a major flaw. Besides I only weigh 152 as of this morning. I'm a small dude. I'm proud of my dl number :p

DLing 2.6x's your body weight is legit bro.

Thanks man I'm hoping I'll get 3 bw by end of senior year if I'm lucky and don't hurt my self. I'm about 20 lbs away. Stupid Indiana storm keeping me away from gym :(

considering the fact i was doing 400+ as a sophmore in HIGHSCHOOL for my first few times ever deadlifting...correct. nothing

400 is an incredible number. The number of people in the world capable of pulling that much are a very small minority. Also, not everyone is ridiculously juiced up like you. When you're natural, a heavy pull is all that more impressive.

Don't get me wrong, you've done a great job in your bodybuilding quest. Just keep in mind that steroids change the physics of strength building and recovery. On all your gear you can probably work out 6 days a week or more going to failure on every set and you'll gain. If I were to do that I would probably end up in the emergency room.

Isn't it a little self centered to judge difficulty based only on your own ability?

You're completely correct. I hate it when people are dicks and put down others' achievements because they happen to be capable of more. 400 is a very impressive deadlift. It takes people years of hard work and dedication to achieve that.

DLing 2.6x's your body weight is legit bro.

It totally is.

400 is an incredible number.

<snip>

I hate it when people are dicks and put down others' achievements because they happen to be capable of more. 400 is a very impressive deadlift. It takes people years of hard work and dedication to achieve that.

No shit.

Ogedi, the only thing I can think of is you may have even more in the tank than you've demonstrated; usually if the lower back feels it, you're not close enough to the barbell. The closer you are to the weight, the less torque - and the less strain on the lower back.

You may wish to consider lowering whatever rep range you're using and do multiple, very-low-rep sets to practice keeping the weight nice and close; deadlifts fall apart very quickly at higher rep ranges due to lower-back fatigue.

PS props for even DOING deadlifts. If you could only do one movement, that would be the one to pick.

how are we suppose to know if you are doing something wrong? 400's BTW is NOT high..i can pull around 600 and the only thing that is ever swore is my lower back. RARELY my hams n' glutes

You should do the first four letters of your handle. Seriously, you give gear-heads a bad name.

You got served!!

IML Gear Cream!
ukjax5qf2m.jpg

Have someone watch you that knows what they are doing. Don't focus on how much you can lift compared to another lifter. If you are feeling better about yourself, and making progress in your program, then you are winning. And keep doing it.

Back