• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

'Poor Quality' Job as Mentally Harmful as No Job

Gena Marie

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
'Poor Quality' Job as Mentally Harmful as No Job

March 14, 2011 -Finding a “poor quality” job that’s overly demanding and where one feels a lack of job control or job security can be at least as harmful for a person’s mental health as being unemployed, a study shows.

Study researcher Peter Butterworth, PhD, an associate professor at the Australian National University in Canberra, tells WebMD that although having a job has been shown to have positive effects on both mental and physical health, moving from unemployment to a bad job can take a toll on your mental health.

“It seems in our study that the adverse effects of moving from unemployment into a poor quality job outweighed the benefits of no longer being employed,” Butterworth says in an email to WebMD.

He and other researchers studied 7,155 people in seven waves, coming up with more than 44,000 observations.

Questionnaire on Mental Health and Jobs
Every year, respondents’ mental health was assessed based on answers to a series of “psychosocial” questions about their jobs. The assessment reflected, among other things, the level of employee control, work schedules, job complexity, and perceived job security.

The respondents also were asked if they felt they received a fair wage for the work performed.

People who were unemployed, as expected, had poorer mental health scores overall than those who had jobs. But the researchers’ analysis found evidence that having a job didn’t automatically result in happiness.

Over time, people in jobs determined to be of the poorest quality experienced the sharpest declines of all in mental health scores.

“We looked at four different aspects of work in our study: whether people were working in highly complex and demanding jobs, whether they had a say in how they did their work, whether they considered they received fair pay for their efforts, and whether they felt secure in their job,” Butterworth says. “While these conditions will often be found in jobs in the service sector, call centers, or casual sales jobs, they can also be found in more ‘prestigious’ jobs.”

The researchers say a direct association was found between the number of unfavorable working conditions on a job and mental health difficulties, with each additional adverse condition reducing the person’s score on a mental health survey.

Finding a high-quality job after being unemployed improved mental health by an average of 3 points on the researchers’ scale. But getting a poor quality job was more detrimental to mental health than remaining unemployed; people in this category showed a loss of 5.6 points.

“In the same way that we no longer accept workplaces that are physically unsafe or in which employees are exposed to dangerous or toxic substances, there could be a greater focus on ensuring a positive psychosocial environment at work,” Butterworth says. “And employers can also have an important role: promoting positive work practices can improve the health and therefore the productivity of their workforce.”

The study suggests paid work confers a number of benefits, including a social identity and purpose, friendships, and a way to structure time. Such factors “are important for positive mental health,” Butterworth says “but it’s also the case that not all work is equal.”

The study notes that “work first policies are based on the notion that any job is better than none,” but that doesn’t seem to be true, at least not in Australia.

“In Australia, the availability of a universal social safety net is likely to moderate the most adverse consequences of unemployment,” Butterworth says. “Not that life is rosy for those who are out of work, but access to unemployment benefits and health care may help people to avoid the worse consequences of unemployment, such as extreme poverty.”

“It may be that unemployment will be associated with worse mental health than even the poorest quality work in countries with a less generous system of social protection,” Butterworth says.

The study states that the findings suggest that simply getting a job “may not necessarily lead to improvement in mental health and well-being” and that conditions of the job need to be taken into consideration.

Over the time period studied, people in “optimal jobs had better mental health than those in poorer quality jobs,” the study states.

“Our study indicates that the erosion of work conditions may incur a health cost, which over the longer term will be both economically and socially counterproductive,” the researchers write.

Yes, shitty jobs are bad for your health. If I got fired or laid off, I would go on welfare or start slinging drugs before I would be a monkey on a telephone for 9$/hour.

^^^^ You and me both, Bro

Yes, shitty jobs are bad for your health. If I got fired or laid off, I would go on welfare or start slinging drugs before I would be a monkey on a telephone for 9$/hour.

:mooh:

THat's me right now. except 11/hr and full bene's.
I'm 23, I'm a senior at a university, or rather WAS before they CUT my financial aid.
What a bitch.

THat's me right now. except 11/hr and full bene's.
I'm 23, I'm a senior at a university, or rather WAS before they CUT my financial aid.
What a bitch.

Oh hell yeah, I slugged it out in the trenches until I was 26. I labored for 6 years while going to school, and worked for a software company for 2 at the bottom tier starting out at $11.00/hour until I got noticed and offed a real career opportunity.

I did my time. I made good career decisions and sacrificed for a better financial future. I absolutely re-fucking-fuse to do it again after how I have seen the elite in this country rape the middle class. Take away my job right now, and I will have to summon my criminal instincts that I have suppressed all these years.

Fantastic.

I couldn't agree more.

Patience, patience, patience...

Oh hell yeah, I slugged it out in the trenches until I was 26. I labored for 6 years while going to school, and worked for a software company for 2 at the bottom tier starting out at $11.00/hour until I got noticed and offed a real career opportunity.

I did my time. I made good career decisions and sacrificed for a better financial future. I absolutely re-fucking-fuse to do it again after how I have seen the elite in this country rape the middle class. Take away my job right now, and I will have to summon my criminal instincts that I have suppressed all these years.

LOL! As long as you look clean and don't get high on your own supply you might make it!
I'm in the same boat, but don't want to jump on welfare because it might fukk my finical aid. So I started a little business and am just hoping I eat at night.

I worked my way up through an apprenticeship (5yrs) from the bottom (ditch bitch) to the top. (General foreman/consultant) I have certs in instrumentation (level IV), design motor control systems, and modify/design PLC programing. I have gone with this career path because I like the dynamic enviroment and the challenges that keep my life intresting. Alas the kick in the ass is that my company (been there 6yrs) is going tits up and I am doing service calls / working in the field. (just to keep a paycheck coming in, truthfully I dont mind any of the work but hate not being stable) I think it might be time to jump ship though and persue something more stable. (same field but more of a industrual maint. type of deal)

Back