Strong man comps(amateur)

Rep Points

Strong man comps(amateur)

Does anyone know where I can find a listing or if anyone knows of any CA strongmen competitions. I want them to be as novice as possible I guess as I've never competed. Could be a charity event coming up, or a super novice event held at a small city.

Thanks,
    Kris
    Please do not PM me with questions, I will not PM you back.

Rep Points

Try going to Powerlifting Watch | Covering the World of Powerlifting. They have listings for meets in various states and regions.

Rep Points

Thanks a million. Id like to go slow to go fast. Baby steps

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Upcoming Contests

The silver events are the aforementioned baby steps you'd want to take a look at. However, you will notice all events are somewhat different in most to all contests.

Decide on a contest, create some cheap implements and train events once a week.

How are you training for this?
    Also, looking at your stats, especially on deadlifts and the atlas stones (you'll need some form of stone technique since most SM contests include a form of these) and you'll need to bring most of your numbers if not all of them up.

Good luck!
    Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Not directly helpful but anybody from the UK looking for strongman comps go check:

Powerlifting - Strongman - Sugden Barbell

Huge competition listing on there that gets updated really regularly.

To contribute, whats your competition prep looking like right now? Totally agree with Juggernaut on having a weekly events day. It's helping me along tonnes.
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Rep Points

It's absolutely nothing right now. Id like to find something 6 months out and start training for that. I'm not looking to be number 1 just to have fun.

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by suprfast View Post
    It's absolutely nothing right now.
    Not sure I follow what you're saying here.

Id like to find something 6 months out and start training for that. I'm not looking to be number 1 just to have fun.
    Good thinking on all sides.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    Not sure I follow what you're saying here.

Good thinking on all sides.
    Sorry about the lack of clarification. As far as the nothing statement, I meant nothing like you described for strongman. I don't have atlas balls or anything of the sort, unless you count my big blue balls. I am still a loyal BGB follower. I haven't been lifting as heavy as I should but I also never focus on single rep motions. When I do deadlift of 405 its for 5 reps. I know I need to increase those numbers but it goes hand in hand with wanting a goal.

The bug that bit me was a friend asking if I want to run bay 2 breakers with him, then train for a half marathon. It really gave me a goal and what I need to accomplish. I want to take that same attitude and dedication and put it to a strong man event. Something to lose my virginity to.

Creator of Chaos

Rep Points

Take a look at Blue Collar Training for SM. Might be a good kick in the ass for you. I'd suggest strongly, that you begin saving some money for Atlas stones and possibly create a cheap yoke. I have one at home that I've put through the rigors at 750lbs and didnt buckle.
    Atlas stones can be made cheaply, but you're better off buying them because it saves you from being messy. I have a 140lb, a 220 and a 280. I work it in a Westside sort of fashion. Might also be smart to buy sleeves for your forearms-they will get torn up.
    Consider getting a full keg as well for throwing and the like. Drink and have a party, but do keep the keg for the work.

Keep it all in your yard or garage.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Suprfast, I know alot of gys who compete in cali, PM and I can get you in touch with someone there Im pretty sure.

ST

BOARD REP

Rep Points

It's absolutely nothing right now. Id like to find something 6 months out and start training for that. I'm not looking to be number 1 just to have fun.

Thats gonna be tough. Most small events are annonced 2-3 months in advance, so keep checking the north american strongman site.

Things to work on

Most important:
    Overhead Press!!!
    Deadlift!!
    Carrying heavy shit!
    Grip strength!

Just find a silver show in your area and sign up. Even if your the srtognest guy there, the odds are against you with no experience. There's a LLLLLOOOOOOOTTTT to learn. I would compete as you get better.

Also find a local forum. Just google or yahoo search "strongman forums." Since your in CA, I'm sure you'll have an easy time finding something.

Rep Points

Not getting hurt is definitely fun. Good luck to you.

Rep Points

Bump

I know its and old thread but try

North American Strongman | Working together to give you the best opportunities to compete and take strongman as far as you want.

You can even get a local gym to sponsor the event in your area if there arent any on the schedule.

Rep Points

Thanks. Something id like to try out at least once.

Rep Points

Likewise, I've trained for it... Then got married so that took back burner for a bit... But its a 2012 goal now

Rep Points

cant you find some heavy stones in the woods near a river or something and lift them as part of the training? how about some thick ass oak chunks? a friend and i were tossin and liftin them oak chunks around when we fell some trees and it was a awesome workout. some were so big i could barely lift them and yeah it chewed up my arms, legs and chest bad so wear loose fit jeans for sure. just an idea if it helps when you dont have much extra cash for stones and such.
    my muscle idols ? easy , ARNOLD , DORIAN YATES & BIG KAZ !!!
    fave workout musick ? easy , old ENTOMBED/GRAVE & death metallers EVIL INCARNATE .