• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Can anyone answer this one.

joboco

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Your doc tells you that your cholesterol is too high Then gives you a list of foods to cut right back on like,
Chicken,
Fish,
all red meat,
and all dairy,

what can I eat to get my 270g of daily protein.

I know I can have nuts, Even peanut butter, but I'm struggling for more choice.

Your doc tells you that your cholesterol is too high Then gives you a list of foods to cut right back on like,
Chicken,
Fish,
all red meat,
and all dairy,

Look in to garlic pills.They lower cholesterol because i with out those meats your going to have a rough time unless you like black beans,tofu,ect..

I know it sounds cliche but I know of a guy who dropped his cholesterol a gazillion points and the only thing he supposedly did was eat a bowl of cheerios a day and he drank some small amount of honey with vinegar concoction daily. Seriously... go figure

I would ask the doctor to refer you to a nutritionist so your insurance will pay for it and actually get a beter opinion....

Good fats like olive oils assist in reducing bad cholesterol, tehre is no reason he cant give you a cholesterol pill tho to assist.... Maybe the nutritionist can rank worst to not so bad...

I would suggest to start taking 4-5 good shakes a day, one with each meal, long acting proteins....

Just remember one thing : guys in prison eat crap, it , from what I hear, is worse than airplnae food.... they dont eat the 270 g protein a day, they work out when they can and many guys in prison leave prison JACKED! Why is this so?

HAs alot to do with cortisol production, stress and their accepting where they are a and are at peace with it....

Sometimes it is NOT what we have to add to our lives, it is waht we must remove from out lives that makes it better.... Cortisol , too much of it, can be a killer.... it can eat away at any gains....

maybe your doc will give you a referral to a sports nutritionist or there might be some on the list, listed as nutritionist who specialize and you might be able to win from that.

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Don't know about your side of the pond, but over here if you even look like your lifting weights your a steroid junkie, and its your own fault. So the best we can do is keep you alive.

I suppose I'll have to take it easy for a while till the levels return to normal, then try again.

I think your doctor sucks. Do more cardio (or some if you arent) take 1000-2000mg of Niacin before bed, and eat fish and skinless chicken. Only stay away from red meat.

I bet you'll test fine in 6 months.

Look in to garlic pills.They lower cholesterol because i with out those meats your going to have a rough time unless you like black beans,tofu,ect..

yeah garlic supplement. those are great :suicide:

I think your doctor sucks. Do more cardio (or some if you arent) take 1000-2000mg of Niacin before bed, and eat fish and skinless chicken. Only stay away from red meat.

I'm not a doctor, so I won't say he's an idiot but i dont understand why he would tell you to stay away from chicken and fish. maybe fried chicken, but theres nothing wrong with lean chicken i would think. and a lot of fishes have the good cholestrol. my dad's doctor has him taking omega 3's. bringing the good into balance helps lower bad cholestrol.

I know this is a copy and paste but it's just one of the thing's my doc told me to look at.

Cholesterol In Chicken And Broth Health Benefits

Is chicken a heart healthy diet? What is the amount of cholesterol in it? Please let me know other diet for heart health
In general, chicken is quite a healthy food. As a source of protein it is one of the best, as it contains very little fat compared to other sources of meat. However, the preparation of the chicken should of course be considered, as well as the type or parts of the chicken that are being consumed. For example, the skin is quite fatty, and should be avoided by people who need to control their intake of fats. Internal organs such as giblets and liver should also be avoided, as these are extremely high in cholesterol. Capons (castrated roosters) should also be avoided if you are trying to control your weight, as this meat is usually quite fatty. However, if you have a severe cholesterol problem, then chicken may not be good for you, as it contains a considerable amount of cholesterol, almost as much as red meat. If you suffer from heart disease and high cholesterol, you should simply ask your doctor about whether you can eat chicken. 100 grams of chicken will contain around 60 mg of cholesterol, and this may or may not be okay for you, depending upon how high your cholesterol is right now.
Chicken Health Facts

If you have heart disease and cholesterol, then you should probably stick to a diet that primarily consists of plant based foods. All meat contains some amount of cholesterol, and you should therefore avoid consuming too much meat. Red meat is of course particularly bad, while fish provides a number of benefits ??? for one, it contains high levels of omega 3 fatty acids, which are thought to have a positive effect on heart disease and cholesterol levels.
Plant foods on the other hand have either very little or no cholesterol, and you should therefore eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grain foods. The way these foods are prepared is of course important ??? avoid using too much oil, and if possible, use olive oil, as it is the healthiest. In general, you should cut down your intake of fats. Low fat options are available for almost every food today, including dairy products. Dairy products and legumes will be an important part of your diet, since your meat intake and therefore your protein intake will be limited.
Of course, in addition to your diet, you also need to exercise daily. However the type and frequency of exercise are things you will need to ask your doctor about.

IML Gear Cream!
Built is the one with the education and the sources to back her word but I can at least throw this out to lay the foundation...

Blood cholesterol (the shit in your arteries) is produced from excess trans fats and to a much lesser degree excess saturated fat (though saturated fats are still needed and very beneficial).

Dietary cholesterol (found in food like eggs) is beneficial to hormone production and actually clearing out blood cholesterol.

I'm no doctor so I'm not going to give actual advice but in my opinion I agree with Merkaba on a second or third opinion.

I always tell people to get a second or third opinion if possible when you are questioning advice.

Thaks Merkaba.

I did by changing docs but the new one said the same.

Trouble is I live in a very small town and every one knows each other, and they hate anything that interferes with a round of golf.

I have now asked for new bloods to be done.

It's so strange here you go to the nurse for bloods, and just ask here to test for what ever you want on top of what the doc has ordered.

Built is the one with the education and the sources to back her word but I can at least throw this out to lay the foundation...

Blood cholesterol (the shit in your arteries) is produced from excess trans fats and to a much lesser degree excess saturated fat (though saturated fats are still needed and very beneficial).

Dietary cholesterol (found in food like eggs) is beneficial to hormone production and actually clearing out blood cholesterol.

I'm no doctor so I'm not going to give actual advice but in my opinion I agree with Merkaba on a second or third opinion.

Thank you for the reply Phineas.

I now understand the difference a bit better.

I'm just going to eat my little birds, cant loose that amount of protein.

Have you done a lot of cycles? Do you feel your natural test production is slow?

Niacin and fatty fish will both help to raise good levels which remove the bad stuff. And while I do believe that veggies should be part of a healthy diet (Much more than fruits) it is still odd he wouldn't want you eating fish and lean chicken.

Make sure it is not the " no flush" niacin inositol hexaniacinate does not have real good research proving its effects.

flush-free or no-flush niacin is a form of nicotinic acid also known as inositol hexaniacinate. Flush-free niacin gets its name from its ability to alleviate side effects like flushing that are seen with other forms of niacin. Unfortunately, there really isn???t a lot known about flush-free niacin, and researchers are finding that its active form may not even enter the blood. Therefore, it is unlikely that flush-free niacin lowers cholesterol.

Nicotinic acid has more research proving that it lowers cholesterol
Nicotinic acid is the form of niacin most researched for its ability to lower cholesterol. In fact, nicotinic acid has been shown to affect all aspects of your lipid profile: it can raise high-density lipoproteins

to help prevent the Flushing I take a baby aspirin 1/2 hour prior.

I use slo niacin and take 1/2 tab at a time. it takes a while for your body to build up your tolerance to the slo Niacin and the Flushing
Slo-Niacin Tablets, Niacin Dietary Supplement

I don't see how whey or soy protein powder would raise your cholesterol. I love wild caught canned salmon with a variety of instant potatoes, has 84g protein and 7g omega-3s.

There's some easy OTC stuff you can do too:

Niacin (the flushing kind, not the non-flushing - but expect to get flushed about 20 minutes after you take it) - this stuff is very cheap and available most everywhere.

Niacin and niacinamide (Vitamin B3): MedlinePlus Supplements
- this is an easy one to at least try and then get your levels checked again in a month

Red Yeast Rice - Red Yeast Rice - What You Need to Know About Red Yeast Rice (also cheep)

Make sure it is not the " no flush" niacin inositol hexaniacinate does not have real good research proving its effects.

flush-free or no-flush niacin is a form of nicotinic acid also known as inositol hexaniacinate. Flush-free niacin gets its name from its ability to alleviate side effects like flushing that are seen with other forms of niacin. Unfortunately, there really isn???t a lot known about flush-free niacin, and researchers are finding that its active form may not even enter the blood. Therefore, it is unlikely that flush-free niacin lowers cholesterol.

Nicotinic acid has more research proving that it lowers cholesterol
Nicotinic acid is the form of niacin most researched for its ability to lower cholesterol. In fact, nicotinic acid has been shown to affect all aspects of your lipid profile: it can raise high-density lipoproteins

to help prevent the Flushing I take a baby aspirin 1/2 hour prior.

I use slo niacin and take 1/2 tab at a time. it takes a while for your body to build up your tolerance to the slo Niacin and the Flushing
Slo-Niacin Tablets, Niacin Dietary Supplement

I don't see how whey or soy protein powder would raise your cholesterol. I love wild caught canned salmon with a variety of instant potatoes, has 84g protein and 7g omega-3s.

Thank's for your replies people, all good info.

The doc has brought my blood test forward to Monday 11th April. So I'll wait and see what happens with that before taking anything.

Soy can increase estrogen and lower test, and low test is associated with the metabolic syndrome, of which elevated blood lipids is a hallmark. But yeah, it's a bit of a stretch.

Listen, I had elevated blood lipids myself, in my early thirties when it was high enough to medicate. I was jogging 10k 3 x a week and eating a lowfat diet with lots of grain foods. I had progressively gained weight all through my twenties and thirties.

By 38 I was 40% bodyfat, and my doctor told me to do the Atkins diet. I thought he was nuts, but on a diet where two thirds of my calories came from fat - much of it saturated animal fat - my cholesterol dropped like a stone. It was at this point I realized I needed to unlearn everything I held to be true about nutrition and physical activity.

Ten years later, we're starting to wrap our heads around the notion that the lipid hypothesis was the result of Ansel Keys' folly: he conveniently avoided finishing his analysis when running his models. He needed to run it two ways - one with sucrose consumption held constant, and one with saturated fat consumption held constant but he missed that one - and incorrectly concluded that it was saturated fat behind heart disease.

Turns out, it was the sucrose; the fructose component of the fructose, to be perfectly clear.

But I digress. The AHA Step I diet has been clinically demonstrated to lower total blood cholesterol by a few points - but at the expense of good cholesterol; thus the risk of heart disease is actually increased by this diet.

If you're on gear, well, finish your cycle and then get your lipids worked out - you've had some good advice here; I'll add this: drop some bodyfat and limit fructose. This means fruit juice, dried fruit, anything sweetened with sugar, honey, maple syrup, fruit juice, high fructose corn syrup or agave syrup. here's one article; there are many more. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673878/pdf/JCI37385.pdf

Chicken,
Fish,
all red meat,
and all dairy,

your Dr should have told you that the total cholesterol value is not so important, it's the ratio of HDL:LDL that matters most.

you simply need to increase the intake of monounsaturated fats in your diet to counter the saturated fats...

IML Gear Cream!
Just my 2 cents. I rehab cardiac and pulmonary patients for a living and I know of no reputable health organizations that recommend the atkins diet for health benefits. Will you lose weight on it, absolutely yes, and this is why we usually see the benefit in cholesterol levels. You'll lose weight on practically any fad diet if you follow it strictly.

It is well known that vegetarians and vegans who eat a whole food, plant based diet that's low in saturated fat have the lowest levels of cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, cancer and heart disease. Dr. Ornish has actually reversed heart disease in patients who were recommended for bypass surgery with this kind of a diet.
Now, can you build a large amount of muscle on this kind of a diet? I doubt it. But eating a whole food diet that's rich in fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes and lean meat will make you live longer.

I dropped my cholesterol from 260 to 160 and my triglycerides from 400 to 140 in 3 months by following a strict whole food vegan diet.

Just my 2 cents. I rehab cardiac and pulmonary patients for a living and I know of no reputable health organizations that recommend the atkins diet for health benefits. Will you lose weight on it, absolutely yes, and this is why we usually see the benefit in cholesterol levels. You'll lose weight on practically any fad diet if you follow it strictly.

high protein/low carb diets are the easiest ways to increase insulin sensitivity (IS) in the shortest period of time. increasing IS is the first step towards increasing lipolysis. low carbs are optimum for this while making lifestyle changes.

you won't find many that truly know health that would recommend this as a permanent diet and/or lifestyle.

balance in the diet (and life in general) will always bring the best results across the board. strict diets will always have severe nutrient deficiencies in them which are the leading cause of most degenerative diseases.

high protein/low carb diets are the easiest ways to increase insulin sensitivity (IS) in the shortest period of time. increasing IS is the first step towards increasing lipolysis. low carbs are optimum for this while making lifestyle changes.

you won't find many that truly know health that would recommend this as a permanent diet and/or lifestyle.

balance in the diet (and life in general) will always bring the best results across the board. strict diets will always have severe nutrient deficiencies in them which are the leading cause of most degenerative diseases.

I would agree that too strict of diets can result in nutrient deficiencies, and they are the most difficult to adhere to as well.

But, the science is very clear that a diet like the one I listed above is the best way to lower cholesterol, BP, and diabetes risk. Here is the american dietitic's association position on vege diets. They are the folks that give Registered Dieticians the authority to prescribe nutrition. They are the most qualified people on nutrition.

J Am Diet Assoc.1997; 97: 1317???1321.

Scientific data suggest positive relationships between a
vegetarian diet and reduced risk for several chronic
degenerative diseases and conditions, including obesity,
coronary artery disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus,
and some types of cancer. Vegetarian diets, like all diets,
need to be planned appropriately to be nutritionally
adequate.
POSITION STATEMENT
It is the position of The American Dietetic Association (ADA)
that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful,
are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in
the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

It is well known that vegetarians and vegans who eat a whole food, plant based diet that's low in saturated fat have the lowest levels of cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes, cancer and heart disease. Dr. Ornish has actually reversed heart disease in patients who were recommended for bypass surgery with this kind of a diet.
Now, can you build a large amount of muscle on this kind of a diet? I doubt it. But eating a whole food diet that's rich in fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes and lean meat will make you live longer.

I dropped my cholesterol from 260 to 160 and my triglycerides from 400 to 140 in 3 months by following a strict whole food vegan diet.
This is not so well known - although it is pushed heavily in certain circles.

I have eaten a low carb diet now for ten years. I look and feel younger than I did in my thirties - and I'm now pushing fifty.

And there is a great deal of positive research being done on the benefits of low carb diets for health, lipid metabolism, reduction of systemic inflammation, improved cognition (Alzheimer's for one) and even reversing some cancers (brain cancer is one noteworthy example).

Read pubmed for more on this. Related Citations for PubMed (Select 19641727) - PubMed result

I would agree that too strict of diets can result in nutrient deficiencies, and they are the most difficult to adhere to as well.

But, the science is very clear that a diet like the one I listed above is the best way to lower cholesterol, BP, and diabetes risk. Here is the american dietitic's association position on vege diets. They are the folks that give Registered Dieticians the authority to prescribe nutrition. They are the most qualified people on nutrition.

J Am Diet Assoc.1997; 97: 1317???1321.

Scientific data suggest positive relationships between a
vegetarian diet and reduced risk for several chronic
degenerative diseases and conditions, including obesity,
coronary artery disease, hypertension, diabetes mellitus,
and some types of cancer. Vegetarian diets, like all diets,
need to be planned appropriately to be nutritionally
adequate.
POSITION STATEMENT
It is the position of The American Dietetic Association (ADA)
that appropriately planned vegetarian diets are healthful,
are nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in
the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.

Right. The American Dietetic Association. Aren't these the same people who still say high protein diets cause kidney damage, or did they finally recant that one?

It's well known in the medical field (cardiology), and the health field (educated ones). If you go to any cardiac rehab facility in america, you'll find everyone is teaching a low saturated fat diet, and a patient that attends cardiac rehab will live longer than heart patients that do not, and have less cardiac events. Additionally, it's well established that vegetarians have the lowest risk factors compared to any group. Look it up.

I actually did my masters thesis on a vege diet and risk factor reduction, and have over 20 studies to cite on the effects of a vege diet on bp, cholesterol, and diabetes. Dr. ornish published the "lyon heart study" in which he reversed heart disease in cardiac patients that were candidates for bypass. This had never been done in medical history, before that all we could do is slow down the progression of atherosclerosis.

If you question the american dietitic association, then you are basically stating that Registered dieticians don't know what they're talking about. RD's are the experts, with the proper education to give nutrition counseling.

I'm not interested, or in a position to debate a keto diet to a vege diet, I'm ignorant about a keto diet. But, I do know the science behind lowering cholesterol, bp and diabetes through a vege diet is very strong. This does not mean that a keto can't do it as well, I'm just unaware of it. I consider myself an objective person, so I appreciate you sharing that info with me, I will read them.

One thing that I noted in those studies is that all the participants lost a significant amount of weight. Weight loss is one of the important factors for lowering LDL cholesterol. So, we can ask the question: is it the weight loss or the keto diet that is responsible for the lowering of LDL?

It's well known in the medical field (cardiology), and the health field (educated ones). If you go to any cardiac rehab facility in america, you'll find everyone is teaching a low saturated fat diet,
Oh, this I know.
and a patient that attends cardiac rehab will live longer than heart patients that do not, and have less cardiac events.

That's because they lose weight with all the follow-up. You said yourself that it's the weight-loss that brings about the improvement, no matter what the diet. So even an inferior diet will bring about improvement.

Additionally, it's well established that vegetarians have the lowest risk factors compared to any group. Look it up.
This is contrary to what I have read, actually.

I actually did my masters thesis on a vege diet and risk factor reduction, and have over 20 studies to cite on the effects of a vege diet on bp, cholesterol, and diabetes. Dr. ornish published the "lyon heart study" in which he reversed heart disease in cardiac patients that were candidates for bypass. This had never been done in medical history, before that all we could do is slow down the progression of atherosclerosis.

If you question the american dietitic association, then you are basically stating that Registered dieticians don't know what they're talking about.
That's right, I am. I have yet to speak to an RD whom I would trust with a friend, and I say this with some sadness because as a scientist, it pains me to think the people who really SHOULD know better so often don't.

RD's are the experts, with the proper education to give nutrition counseling.

I'm not interested, or in a position to debate a keto diet to a vege diet, I'm ignorant about a keto diet. But, I do know the science behind lowering cholesterol, bp and diabetes through a vege diet is very strong. This does not mean that a keto can't do it as well, I'm just unaware of it. I consider myself an objective person, so I appreciate you sharing that info with me, I will read them.

Thank you for this; I appreciate the academic interest and genuine curiosity more than you can possibly know. I am aware that many people find good health through vegetarian diets. I am consistently fascinated by the myriad dietary paradigms that seem to be effective for so many people.

Keto diets are interesting. They have so many benefits, it's hard to just pick one.

Here's a really good full text article on their myriad benefits:

Neuroprotective and disease-modifying effects of the ketogenic diet
Gasior, Maciej; Rogawski, Michael A.; Hartman, Adam L.
Behavioural Pharmacology. 17(5-6):431-439, September 2006

Abstract

The ketogenic diet has been in clinical use for over 80 years, primarily for the symptomatic treatment of epilepsy. A recent clinical study has raised the possibility that exposure to the ketogenic diet may confer long-lasting therapeutic benefits for patients with epilepsy. Moreover, there is evidence from uncontrolled clinical trials and studies in animal models that the ketogenic diet can provide symptomatic and disease-modifying activity in a broad range of neurodegenerative disorders including Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease, and may also be protective in traumatic brain injury and stroke. These observations are supported by studies in animal models and isolated cells that show that ketone bodies, especially β-hydroxybutyrate, confer neuroprotection against diverse types of cellular injury. This review summarizes the experimental, epidemiological and clinical evidence indicating that the ketogenic diet could have beneficial effects in a broad range of brain disorders characterized by the death of neurons. Although the mechanisms are not yet well defined, it is plausible that neuroprotection results from enhanced neuronal energy reserves, which improve the ability of neurons to resist metabolic challenges, and possibly through other actions including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. As the underlying mechanisms become better understood, it will be possible to develop alternative strategies that produce similar or even improved therapeutic effects without the need for exposure to an unpalatable and unhealthy, high-fat diet.​

The last sentence in the abstract cracked me up: "As the underlying mechanisms become better understood, it will be possible to develop alternative strategies that produce similar or even improved therapeutic effects without the need for exposure to an unpalatable and unhealthy, high-fat diet."

If my high-fat diet were unhealthy, you'd think I'd be less healthy now that I've been on it for ten years. And it's hardly unpalatable: my breakfast this morning was steak fried in bacon fat, eggs scrambled with butter, whipping cream and cheese, and broccoli pureed with cashews, 10% butterfat yogurt, and butter.

Seriously, my high-fat diet is delicious. :thumb:

I'm 48 years old and until I changed from a low-fat to a high-fat diet ten years ago, I was was fat and on metformin. Now, I'm sub-20% bodyfat year-round (don't hate, I'm female and that's healthy-to-athletic lean for us) with normal blood sugar and a low, healthy lipid profile. No Lipitor.

I don't always only eat a low-carb, high-fat diet - I have been known to eat the odd sweet potato or some rice pudding, but not often and certainly not daily. Starches and sweets for me are infrequent and kept very, very low. About the only regular indiscretion is a few squares of Lindt chocolate most days at bedtime.

By the way, I had long wondered why both the Atkins' and Ornish approaches could produce such similar results - until I listened to this lecture by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology:
YouTube Video

It's long, but I promise you it's worth it.

In the first few minutes, he drops this bomb: What do the Atkins diet and the Japanese diet have in common? They both lower heart disease. The Atkins diet is high in fat and low in carbohydrate. The Japanese diet is low in fat and high in carbohydrate - much like the Ornish diet.

This has driven me nuts for years.

The link? Fructose. Both diets dramatically reduce fructose consumption.

Interesting, isn't it?

Thanks, I will definitely watch that video. It reminds me of a talk I heard from a professor of nutrition at stanford. He was showing examples of different diets from around the world; mediterranean, asian, and even eskimos, who eat mostly seal lard and meat. All of them mentioned had very low heart disease rates. He then said:

"It seems that the human body has evolved to handle all types of diets, except the american diet."

A good example of how well a vege diet can lower cholesterol, BP and diabetes is a program called C.H.I.P. (coronary health improvement program). Their program has been in a few reputable peer reviewed journals, and their numbers are staggering. It's a 3 month program, teaching a whole food, plant based diet. The participants dramatically lower their cholesterol, bp and diabetic medications, and some even come off completely. No use of statins.

I respect your objective, professional approach, but I question that you do not believe that a whole food, plant based diet will lower cholesterol. And, you stated that you've read that a vegetarian has higher risk factors compared to other groups. I'd like to see some of that research, because I have researched this subject a lot and it's apparent that that is not the case.

Dr. Barnard, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Diel, Dr. Mcdougall are some examples of docs that have numerous studies in very reputable journals on the effects of the diet mentioned.

And, there has never been a reversal of heart disease in a high fat diet, but there has been numerous using a plant based diet.

Thanks to you all for your replies.

Don't know about your side of the pond, but over here if you even look like your lifting weights your a steroid junkie, and its your own fault. So the best we can do is keep you alive.

I suppose I'll have to take it easy for a while till the levels return to normal, then try again.

Yea, it's a hard balance. My doc told me the same exact thing. Red meat was one of them. It doesn't make sense.

Back