• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

San Quentin inmates mount rescue after boating accident

Curt James

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
San Quentin inmates mount rescue after boating accident

Posted: April 20, 2011, 10:40 pm ET

Inmates at California’s San Quentin prison helped rescue two boaters — one of whom later died — who had fallen into frigid San Francisco Bay early Wednesday, authorities said.

A San Quentin officer alerted the prison’s inmate-staffed, in-house fire department around 1 a.m. after hearing faint calls for help and seeing a man and a woman in the water near the facility’s shoreline, prison spokesman Lt. Sam Robinson said.

Prison staffers and 10 fire department inmates went into the water and grabbed the man, who was without a life jacket, and lifted him over a retaining wall to get him on land, Robinson said.

san-quentin-prison.jpg

San Rafael Fire Department personnel arrived and helped rescue the woman, who was wearing a life jacket. The man, who was breathing but apparently unconscious when he was rescued, went into cardiac arrest on shore, Robinson said.

Posted by: CNN's Jason Hanna

15 Comments

1. Joey
April 20th, 2011 11:02 pm ET

What a sad report to read just before going to sleep!

The inmates might have used this as an opportunity to escape. They saved a life instead, and almost saved another.

In a recent comment here, someone said that there are no all-good or all-bad humans. This rescue is an example.

2. raven
April 20th, 2011 11:11 pm ET

I agree Joey and maybe this will inspire others to be more charitable to their fellow man. A drowning person isnt gonna quibble over who rescues him.

Maybe it will also help the inmates feel like they have a shot at redemption too. Win-Win. My condolences to the victims family and the woman he was with. So sad to be rescued only to die on shore.

3. MaDukes
April 20th, 2011 11:18 pm ET

I agree too. Condolences to their family and friends.

From CNN.com (blogs)

Last edited:
I wonder if they allow arsonists to serve on the inmate-staffed fire squad?

It's a good thing those prisoners were there to get into that water, Cause the Frisco Bay is Goddamn cold this time of year, I wouldn't have jumped into that frigid ass water. brrr!

I wonder if they allow arsonists to serve on the inmate-staffed fire squad?

:thinking:

It's a good thing those prisoners were there to get into that water, Cause the Frisco Bay is Goddamn cold this time of year, I wouldn't have jumped into that frigid ass water. brrr!

Doubt I would have either. :( Where's a wet suit and a stronger swimmer, please?

More:

Inmates at California's San Quentin prison helped rescue two boaters — one of whom later died — who had fallen into frigid San Francisco Bay early Wednesday, authorities said.

A San Quentin officer alerted the prison’s inmate-staffed, in-house fire department around 1 a.m. after hearing faint calls for help and seeing a man and a woman in the water near the facility’s shoreline, prison spokesman Lt. Sam Robinson said.

san-quentin-prison-aerial-view.jpg

Prison staffers and 10 fire department inmates went into the water and grabbed the man, who was without a life jacket, and lifted him over a retaining wall to get him on land, Robinson said. San Rafael Fire Department personnel arrived and helped rescue the woman, who was wearing a life jacket.

The man, who was breathing but apparently unconscious when he was rescued, went into cardiac arrest on shore, Robinson said.

“A staff member and inmates then began CPR and other life-saving measures” until an ambulance took him to a hospital, Robinson said.

The man, James Laurel, 44, of Larkspur, was pronounced dead at Marin General Hospital, Marin County sheriff’s Lt. Barry Heying said in a press release. The woman, whose name wasn’t announced, was treated at a hospital for exposure and released, according to the sheriff’s office.

Deputies determined that the pair had been in a small boat, leaving a dock on Corte Madera Creek at about 10 p.m. Tuesday, the sheriff’s office said.
The boat had engine trouble in the bay, and Laurel fell overboard while trying to restart the engine. He then capsized the boat while trying to get back onboard, according to the sheriff’s office.

The pair drifted from the boat and toward the prison, Robinson said. Officials estimate they were in the water for up to 90 minutes, he said.

Deputies believe alcohol was a factor in the incident, and Laurel’s death is being investigated by a coroner’s office, the sheriff’s office said.

The inmates in the prison’s fire department are trained paramedics who were not convicted of violent or sexual offenses, Robinson said. He said they almost exclusively respond to emergencies inside the facility, and that this is the only water rescue involving the unit that he’s aware of.

“Ninety-nine percent of what they do happens inside the facility,” he said.

From San Quentin inmates mount rescue after boating accident

prison_san_quentin.jpg

prison-cell-on-death-row.jpg

Last edited:
^^That's the closest I ever want to be to seeing the inside of that joint. :winkfinger:

^^^ You're not alone on that count! :mooh:

Another article, more pics...

Unlikely heroes: San Quentin prisoners rescue woman from boat after it capsizes

By Daily Mail Reporter

Prisoners at one of the country's most notorious jails might not be top of a list of traditional heroes.

But ten inmates at San Quentin in California earned that title when they saved a woman from a capsized boat in San Francisco Bay.

The men, all members of the jail's specially-trained firefighting unit, risked their lives to dive into the water when a prison guard heard the woman screaming for help.

sq1-derrick-edgerly.jpg

Prison rescue: Inmate and firefighter Derrick Edgerly was the first man into the water after his team was called out to rescue two sailors on a capsized boat

They managed to save her, but her male companion, 44-year-old James Laurel, was found unconscious and died at the scene.
The dramatic rescue took place in the early hours of Wednesday morning, when the couple's 14-foot motorboat capsized around 20 feet from the shore.

Its engine had broken down, and Laurel fell overboard without a life vest while he was trying to restart it. He managed to capsize the boat when he attempted to crawl back on board, leaving both him and the woman stranded in the water.

His companion, who has not yet been named, was spotted in the ocean by a prison guard at the jail - which houses America's largest death row - when she began screaming.

sq2-firefighters.jpg

Proud: The firefighters stand on the shore at San Francisco Bay, where they pulled two sailors from the water after their boat capsized

sq3-fire-squad.jpg

On call: San Quentin's 16 firefighters are on alert 24/7 to deal with emergencies in the yard, cells and out in San Francisco Bay

The ten firefighters were immediately scrambled. All are low-security inmates who are serving time for non-violent offences, and live in a firehouse just outside the prison walls.
Derrick Edgerly was the first into the water. He told KTVU: 'I took my turnouts off went over the wall and went into the Bay. There was no fear or hesitation. The guy needed help.'

He dived in in with a fire hose, wrapping it around Laurel and the woman.
His fellow inmates on the shore grabbed the other end of the hose and worked together to pull the couple out of the water, a distance of some 15 feet.

Mr Laurel was the first to reach the shore. Inmate Robert Henderson said: 'Once the guy came over, [they] started CPR on him immediately.'
The inmates were joined by emergency workers from other agencies, but none of them were unable to save the 44-year-old.

He briefly regained consciousness when he reached the shore before collapsing.

The woman, who had been wearing a life vest, was taken to Marin General Hospital, where she was treated and released.

San Quentin's 16 firefighters are on call 24/7, and respond to emergencies in the yard, in the cells and out in the Bay.

But they said it was still unusual to respond to such a dramatic rescue.
One inmate, Sean Tiger, told KTVU: 'It’s like a surreal experience. Something that many people wont go through in their life.'

Another, Henderson, said he was proud to be part of the firefighting team, which is reserved for prisoners with a record of good behaviour.
He said: 'You get a lot of good training. [It’s a] great group of guys. And you learn things you can take to the street with you.'

sq4-robert-henderson.jpg

Good training: Inmate Robert Henderson said the skills he has learned as a jail firefighter will be useful in civilian life

sq5-prison.jpg

Notorious: California's San Quentin jail houses the largest Death Row facility in America

And Edgerly, the first man into the water, said he hoped the rescue could change the public perception of San Quentin inmates.

He told KTVU: 'It's an opportunity out here to show people that even though we made a mistake and we have some debt to society we still human beings and we care for people and want to help people.'

Police said they are still investigating what happened on the boat.

Lieutenant Barry Heying, a spokesman for the Marin Sheriff's Office, said the woman told officers they had been drinking before they went out on to the water.

And he said they believe the boat may have been stolen, because all identifying numbers had been removed from both the hull and engine.

He said: 'We don't know what they were doing out there, but we know that the boat they were in is most likely a stolen boat.'

Wait a minute....there's a black man who can swim!!!???!!!

Just kidding but there were several inner-city guys while I was in Navy boot camp who had to get special swimming lessons, mostly black and hispanic....

Just kidding but there were several inner-city guys while I was in Navy boot camp who had to get special swimming lessons, mostly black and hispanic....

you too, i was in like 15 or 16 years ago, except it was every black man in my division...i know it is off subject, but why would you join the navy if you can't swim a stroke?!?!? there is lots of water out there fellas!!!

My brothers friend is a guard at this prison. I couldn't imagine ever working there.

lol

YouTube Video

you too, i was in like 15 or 16 years ago, except it was every black man in my division...i know it is off subject, but why would you join the navy if you can't swim a stroke?!?!? there is lots of water out there fellas!!!

I served in the Navy from '83 to '88 and was grateful for the two deployments we went on. One was to the Med while the other was to Europe. Spain, Israel, France, the UK, Norway, and more. Probably never see those countries again.

Never have been a strong swimmer, though.

Back