• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community!
    Thanks! 💪

Carbs and healing

danzik17

Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Consider the following: you have an injury that you're recovering from; diet wise which do you think is more optimal, the inclusion of carbs of lack thereof? Assume equal calorie levels.

Just curious and doing some pubmed reading at the moment to see if I can find anything. Tweaked my shoulder last week doing something unrelated to lifting (note: had surgery in November on it) and it's been hurting since then. If it continues to hurt by Monday, I'm going to the PT. That's all besides the point.

Here's what I've got so far:

* Low carbohydrate diets reduce inflammation (Good)

That's pretty much it so far =P

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm?

I personally go keto when I'm injured - but there are a few reasons for this. One is "I can't train" - so I need to modulate appetite. The other is inflammation - keto settles it down. The third is nerve function - ketone bodies are neuroprotective. Keep in mind, many of my recent injuries have been spinal in nature: herniated disc in my neck setting off the median nerve in my left arm; grade I anterolisthesis at L5-S1; also a history of migraine, which has remained in remission after 8 months in ketosis back in 2001-2002.

What I DON'T do is run a deficit. Healing takes calories.

What spawned the thread was actually something that happened a couple of years ago. In college when I was new to lifting, I hurt myself doing squats. Whatever muscle is at the top of the quad (about where it meets the pelvis) would hurt like crazy at the bottom of squats and would actually have me limping for a minute or so after each set.

What finally healed it was actually UD 2.0. After doing 2-3 cycles of it, I noticed that it was no longer hurting and remains that way to this day. I don't know if it was eating the high amount of calories on the carbups, or maybe it was the glycogen supercompensation, or maybe something else. For some reason when I tweaked my shoulder last week, I thought of that and started doing a bit of research.

Psoas?

My guess is the lactate from the high-rep depletion workouts may have been part of what helped you heal it. I seem to recall it stimulates GH, but I don't know where I read that.

Back