Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am Rollo Tomassee..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Thumbs up Hernia without a bulge?

I dont know what is going on with me, but I have felt some discomfort in my lower-right area of my abs. I have looked in the mirror, put my hand over that area, coughed, nothing. I compare it to the other side and its exactly the same.

Before I go blowing money on a doctor, do hernias exist without bulges? Google comes up with symptoms that I dont really have other than the location of the discomfort. I looked up Groin Pull, but it seems to be more of the pubic region.

Anyone had a hernia WITHOUT a bulge?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Weighted Pullups 80lbs 3x3 (3/19)
    Squat 370
    Deadlift after herniation 385lbs 3x3 (3/17)
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I dont know what is going on with me, but I have felt some discomfort in my lower-right area of my abs. I have looked in the mirror, put my hand over that area, coughed, nothing. I compare it to the other side and its exactly the same.

Before I go blowing money on a doctor, do hernias exist without bulges? Google comes up with symptoms that I dont really have other than the location of the discomfort. I looked up Groin Pull, but it seems to be more of the pubic region.

Incredible you post this today. I just had a hockey game and messed myself up big time right in the same spot you described. Reached with my stick while skating and wham instant pain. I dont have any noticeable bulge in the area either, and it's definitely not the groin it's lower abs I guess. Like the right side of my lower groin is sore to the touch and it is great discomfort to lift my leg as in a leg lift or pulling my knee to my chest.

I'm hoping it's just a strain. I would be pissed if it was a hernia, but like you said, I don't wanna go blowing money at the doctor if it feels better in a couple of days.

I'll keep you posted.

I am Rollo Tomassee..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Damn youre worse off than me!

Today I did lunges and after the 1st 2 warm ups sets, I felt like something was in the way of my right leg, but then it went away. NOTHING is visible, nor do I feel shit when I increase ab. pressure.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Rep Points

right after i had Tyler, i'm talking 2 days later, i tried to pull a picnic table into the shade at a park. some guys playing basketball ran over and moved it for me but not before i damaged something in that exact spot. there was no bulge but for a while when i bent over it felt like someone was pinching me with pliers or something. was an awful pain when i moved a certain way but it wasn't always there. it just eased up and went away on its own in a couple weeks. i always thought it was a hernia.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

inadvertant tree hugger
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

omental hernias can present without bulges
    Official Race Member of the Crank Crushing Rednecks

Eat more mud, mountain bike until you die!

XX Feminine power

Super Majin Saiyan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

Herniation: Abnormal protrusion of tissue through an opening. For example, a intervertebral disk (one situated between the vertebral bodies) can protrude and impinge on a nerve root.

The definition is a protrusion. Something sticking out.

When did the pain start? Was it during or after a movement? pinch nerve, micro muscle tear, bruising. IDK what it is, not a Dr. but one thing I learned is RICE. Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. but mostly Ice. Tiger balm it. and keep in mind what motions you do when it hurts then you can take that info to your Dr.
    It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, so long as you beat the leprechauns.
    TJTJ is fictional character and purely theoretical.

I am Rollo Tomassee..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Went to see the doc. Inguinal Hernia. God dammit. Even put my finger in my ball sack to feel it.

"Thats your intestine" Really? I hardly felt anything move when I coughed....

Great, time to get cut up. So, what now, never gonna do deadlifts again? What hope is there?
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Rep Points

Went to see the doc. Inguinal Hernia. God dammit. Even put my finger in my ball sack to feel it.

Great, time to get cut up. So, what now, never gonna do deadlifts again? What hope is there?
    You will be fine, if you have mesh put in make sure its the double mesh. they put a patch on both sides of the protrusion and stitch it together. Most likely you will get another one on the other side. I think some people are just predisposed to getting them. Had my second one fixed yesterday.

Voodoo Doll
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Rep Points

sorry. glad you went to the dr. jeeze.

you don't get what you wish for ~ you get what you work for

Super Majin Saiyan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

bummer dude. do your rehab and hopefully youll be good to go.
    It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, so long as you beat the leprechauns.

I am Rollo Tomassee..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

So what am I looking at? I went to a walk in clinic whom is referring me to a surgery place that calls me (or I call) on Monday, so in the meantime, fill me in.

My brother had 2 hernias, but he doesnt remember how they went (20 years ago). How long is the healing process? What kind of rehab is there for this type of surgery? How much does it cost with insurance? (estimate) How long until weight training?

This just boggles the mind cuz my pain is NOT where I described to the doctor nor what I described in this thread. He put my finger in my scrotum and showed me where the intestine sticks out when I cough. Honestly, it didnt feel like much. In fact, had he not pointed it out, I wouldve never thought anything was out of place.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Super Majin Saiyan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rep Points

So what am I looking at? I went to a walk in clinic whom is referring me to a surgery place that calls me (or I call) on Monday, so in the meantime, fill me in.

My brother had 2 hernias, but he doesnt remember how they went (20 years ago). How long is the healing process? What kind of rehab is there for this type of surgery? How much does it cost with insurance? (estimate) How long until weight training?

This just boggles the mind cuz my pain is NOT where I described to the doctor nor what I described in this thread. He put my finger in my scrotum and showed me where the intestine sticks out when I cough. Honestly, it didnt feel like much. In fact, had he not pointed it out, I wouldve never thought anything was out of place.
    I forgot to mention this but get a second opinion. I hate insurance and sometimes theyll do unnecessary surgery just to get $$$ from the insurance compnay. I have a herniated disc L4 or L5. but with the right rehab and strengthening techniques Ive been fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Rep Points

Depending on the procedure healing time will vary. The only rehab is rest. Im thinking I will be back in the gym in 3 weeks. You wont be doing squats etc, just going easy. Can you feel any bulging in your scrotum? Your intestine could be pushing through the inguinal canal into the scrotum. Get a 2nd opinion if your not sure.

This is what it will look like after surgery.

Attachment 32275

I am Rollo Tomassee..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Rep Points

Yes its poking through the canal. I assume when I go to setup an appointment, the surgeon will take another look him/herself. I have to really bust ass to feel this bulge.

3 weeks I can handle. Shit 1 month I can handle...but 4 months or so without deadlifting will depress me.
    6' 203lbs (12-10-12)
    Bench 365 (12/3)
    Squat 370
    NASM certified 2/06
    Journal

Weapon of Choice
    ELITE MEMBER

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rep Points

sorry to hear about the hernia. I don't know what's up with mine, doesn't feel too bad today, but still definitely hurts. really felt it on my lat pulldowns today, just a spot in my lower abs that was pretty sore.

if I had to guess if it's anything worse than a strain, I'm going with sports hernia because I'm having a hard time noticing any bulges. can you describe what the hernia feels like so I know what to look for?

is it definitely in your ball sac? would it be in the crease of your leg and hip? because my tender spot is a bit higher than the crease.

I guess I just need to get it checked out. you can do this at a walk in clinic?