• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Difference - Chin-up & Pull-up?

Smoke

Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
What's the difference between a chinup and a pullup? thanks.

I remember asking this same question years ago on another board.
Basically, the best answer I can give you is "try Both" and you will see that chins are harder to do and IMO are better for development.
Now having said that, I admit, I do both mostly cause I can change my grip on Pulldowns because of the ability to change the bar.

Pullups: palms facing away from you. When you pull your self up, Your elbows are pointed out to the side. They can be performed wide grip, Medium grip or close grip. they can also be done to the front or the rear. ( I prefer front due to less stress to the shoulder girdle)

Chinups: Palms facing you. When you pull up, your elbows are pointed out in front of you. They can only be comfortably performed medium grip or close grip. wider and it stresses the elbow and wrist joints.
They can only be performed to the front.

Due to the position of the elbows during the execution of the excercises, they stress the lats differently.

Which is better? Well that can be debatable. Personnally I do them both. When I do pullups I start wide and work my way closer each set.

When I do chins, I alternate doing them on a straight bar (same as pullup bar) or I'll throw the Close grip rowing bar overtop so palms are facing one another. Again the elbows pointed forward not to the side. I feel that I get a better Lat stretch with these and the chinups then I do with pullups.

I also feel I get better upper lat work (width) with weighted Med/Wide grip pullups.

I say to encorporate them both. examples: alternate workouts, alternate bi weekly, Monthly. split them every workout.

DOE! I just realized you asked about "chinups vs pullups" I thought I saw "chinups vs pulldowns" Sorry, ignore my first post. :nuts:

I have always considered a "chin-up" to mean a pull-up where the goal is to get your chin above the bar, and a "pull-up" is the same movement but the goal is to just pull-up not necessarily getting your chin above the bar. :shrug:

For me, I see them as:
Chin ups- palms facing you, close grip
Pullups - Palms away from you, little wider than shoulder width.

Chin ups should be the easier of the two as your bi's are at there strongest position to help aid in the movement.

Ok guys you've all helped me to understand....looks like I have been doing pullups hehe.

It's ok Scotty we all have those moments besides, I had your six. hahahaha

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
DOE! I just realized you asked about "chinups vs pullups" I thought I saw "chinups vs pulldowns" Sorry, ignore my first post. :nuts:

Humm did you cut and paste that from my 1st post??? hahahahaha

Originally posted by Scotty the Body
For me, I see them as:
Chin ups- palms facing you, close grip
Pullups - Palms away from you, little wider than shoulder width.

Chin ups should be the easier of the two as your bi's are at there strongest position to help aid in the movement.

Back