IronMagLabs

Cell Volumization - The Secret to Muscle Growth - Great Video!

Squat, Deadlift, DB Bench

Rep Points

Cell Volumization - The Secret to Muscle Growth - Great Video!

Enjoy!

AbaXen Pharmaceuticals
    BOARD REP

Rep Points

Why is that guy so scrawny then? Should take his own advice. Pencil neck egg heads!

Rep Points

He says glutamine stimulates glycogen synthesis. True, but only when used as a substrate for gluconeogenesis, and then it's mainly liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen.

About the only time this is useful is for people on ultra-low carb diets, where the glutamine can replace carbs. Then again, you're talking about 30 grams and more of glutamine...

Dude needs to get his facts straight (or I do, but I'm pretty sure memory serves me correctly here).

Squat, Deadlift, DB Bench

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeGigs View Post
    He says glutamine stimulates glycogen synthesis. True, but only when used as a substrate for gluconeogenesis, and then it's mainly liver glycogen, not muscle glycogen.

About the only time this is useful is for people on ultra-low carb diets, where the glutamine can replace carbs. Then again, you're talking about 30 grams and more of glutamine...

Dude needs to get his facts straight (or I do, but I'm pretty sure memory serves me correctly here).
    I'd be interested to see the studies or research about what you said (I'll rep you lol). I bought glutamine because of this research he stated so if you can show that he's wrong I'd really appreciate it so I don't have to waste my money anymore.

Getting my Grow on!

Rep Points

what i took from his description was: increase glycogen storage=increased water storage therefore greater cell volumisation.

He did not mention why this actually increase muscle fibre size!

Oh and if this ripped research guy had an idea about how to apply his own knowledge to the model in the video then surely he'd be a damn site bigger?

but an interesting video none the less.

From my own research i gather there is no conclusive evidence that increased cell volumisation actually increases muscle fibre hypertrophy or hyperplasia.
    the theory seems to be that by increasing stored nutrients in a muscle cell you are increasing its propensity to synthesise new proteins. Yet any low level biologicla education will tell you that protein synthesis will occur due to chemical signalling, jsut because nutrients are stored in the vacinity of a muscle fibre does not mean those nutrients will be utilised in such a way.
    it is the prevalnace of nutrients in the blood that will impact on growth not those stored.
    Last edited by trapzilla; 05-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    "That ain't big to me, when y'all 300lbs y'all big!"- Dexter Jackson
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/on...ml#post2523637 - the new Journal

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by huge_quads View Post
    I'd be interested to see the studies or research about what you said (I'll rep you lol). I bought glutamine because of this research he stated so if you can show that he's wrong I'd really appreciate it so I don't have to waste my money anymore.
    Try this one for starters:
    Effect of oral glutamine on whole body carbohydrate storage during recovery from exhaustive exercise

A quote: "Oral glutamine alone promoted storage of muscle glycogen to an extent similar to oral glucose polymer. Ingestion of glutamine and glucose polymer together promoted the storage of carbohydrate outside of skeletal muscle, the most feasible site being the liver." (emphasis mine)

Too many people read excerpts instead of full articles, and many more base their nutrition on what works for rats.

So far, the information I'm aware of points towards a combination of 'fast' protein and carbs, the carbs being either glucose or high GI complex carbs as being best for skeletal muscle glycogen replenishment. One part whey and two parts gainer is about right for post-workout if you're targeting glycogen storage.