Exercises to hit the upper inner chest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Exercises to hit the upper inner chest?

Hey guys. Just wondering what exercises you guys do to develop the upper inner chest? My chest has good development everywhere except for the upper inner part.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I do chest flies on a machine, like a reverse rear deltoid (back of shoulders, I believe).

At least for me, it's not so much finding an exercise to hit that part of the body, but flexing and tightening and straining that part of the body to stimulate growth. Which is what I do, focus on form and just KILL my inner chest. It's usually the last thing I do on my chest days.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

thanks guys.

big for a notbig

Rep Points

at the end of each set of flies I like to push my hands together at the top of the movement (no dumbell) and just hold it for an isometric contraction for about 10-15 seconds. I feel that in the inner chest top to bottom but I'm sure if you set the bench to an incline you'd get the upper part more involved
    Cumming day and night.

Getting my Grow on!

Rep Points

Regardless of what others says I still feel you can target an area more than another my 2 favourites for upper/inner chest are underhand crossovers and incline smith machine presses
    "That ain't big to me, when y'all 300lbs y'all big!"- Dexter Jackson
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/on...ml#post2523637 - the new Journal

Anabolic Whore
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Take this... (press machine)

and this... (EZ curl-cable bar)

Place it inbetween the parallel handles on the machine.
    place your hands in the CLOSE GRIP position and push.

Don't worry, the grips on the machines handles will stick just fine with the bar, and it will rock your inner chest

(only works if your gym has the handles that look similar to the ones in the photo)
    Disclaimer: All information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. Everything posted is for entertainment purposes only. ANIMALHOUSE is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way use, encourage, nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Muscle fibers either contract or they do not. There is no partial contraction and the muscle fibers in the "inner chest" go all the way to your shoulder. Inner chest development suggests you are growing a muscle fiber unevenly on one side, that just logically can't happen. At least in the upper lower argument the whole fiber is suppose to be growing.

Rep Points

incline dumbell press for the win

SHRUG LIKE YOU MEAN IT

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ihateschoolmt View Post
    Muscle fibers either contract or they do not. There is no partial contraction and the muscle fibers in the "inner chest" go all the way to your shoulder. Inner chest development suggests you are growing a muscle fiber unevenly on one side, that just logically can't happen. At least in the upper lower argument the whole fiber is suppose to be growing.
    This +1.

If your "upper inner" chest isn't as pronounced as you'd like you just need to put on more muscle. Your genetics have given you a certain muscle shape, theres not much you can do about it besides grow and see how your shape reveals itself!
    http://www.getlifting.info

Disclaimer: All health, fitness, diet, nutrition, anabolic steroid & supplement information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. We do not condone the use of anabolic steroids (AAS), all information about AAS is for educational and entertainment purposes only. If you choose to use AAS it's your responsibility to know the laws of the country that you live in. Consult your physician or health care professional before performing any of the exercises, or following any diet, nutrition or supplement advice described on this website.

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gazhole View Post
    This +1.

If your "upper inner" chest isn't as pronounced as you'd like you just need to put on more muscle. Your genetics have given you a certain muscle shape, theres not much you can do about it besides grow and see how your shape reveals itself!
    This +2.

Genetics are a bitch, but your origins and insertions don't change no matter what you lift or at what angle.

It's like when people say they want to train their inner or outer bicep. It just doesn't exist. Different angles put different types of force through a joint, which is what muscles move - but it doesn't develop any differently even if it FEELS different. That feeling is just the different type of force that your joint isn't used to (which can be a very bad thing actually).
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

thanks guys great info. Ill try the exercises you guys suggested and see if it helps

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I have been doing some neck presses on a flat bench pointer finger around power ring and I can see a diffrence

big for a notbig

Rep Points

there actually is an inner and outer bicep. That's why it's called a BIcep
    Cumming day and night.

Getting my Grow on!

Rep Points

Until there is concrete proof that what we say is incorrect I will continue you train based upon it.

If i bench wider my outer chest grows more, if i switch closer my middle chest grows, if i go decline my lower chest grows.

if I vary my foot position my quads grow differantly, this I know to be 100% true in my case.
    "That ain't big to me, when y'all 300lbs y'all big!"- Dexter Jackson
    http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/on...ml#post2523637 - the new Journal

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hench View Post

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel618 View Post
    there actually is an inner and outer bicep. That's why it's called a BIcep
    If you mean there is one on top and one underneath, I agree. If you mean there is one closer to your body on the inside of your arm and one on the outside further away then feel free to show me an anatomy picture of said muscle with a split in the middle.
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Livebig14 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hench View Post

Rep Points

don't overanalize!!!! Just do some incline press. Incline dumbbell would be a perfect solution.

Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by zoco View Post
    don't overanalize!!!! Just do some incline press. Incline dumbbell would be a perfect solution.
    I do a lot of incline work already. barbells and dumbells and a few machines

Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    If you mean there is one on top and one underneath, I agree. If you mean there is one closer to your body on the inside of your arm and one on the outside further away then feel free to show me an anatomy picture of said muscle with a split in the middle.
    He split it down the middle. Check it out.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Livebig14 View Post
    I do a lot of incline work already. barbells and dumbells and a few machines
    How much bodyfat do you carry? if you have less than 10-11% and still have weak upper chest, it's probably genetic.

Getting fucking huge
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by zoco View Post
    How much bodyfat do you carry? if you have less than 10-11% and still have weak upper chest, it's probably genetic.
    fuck yeah im probably around 10% right now. Ill just keep pressing hopefully it will grow!

big for a notbig

Rep Points

play with your elbow angle when barbell pressing. I can get a totally different feel if I let my elbows flare out a bit as opposed to keeping them tucked in powerlifting style. Just a thought. Just concentrate on the mind muscle connection, you can feel how chest is firing
    Cumming day and night.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

It is true that genetics ultimately determine your weak points and problem areas, but to say that you cannot train a certain part of a muscle group is simply not true. Take delts for example...if I only did rear dumbell flys, do you think my anterior delts would develop as quickly as the posterior? I think not...

In the same way, to say that you cannot specifically target the upper chest to stimulate growth is ridiculous.

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by GMO View Post
    It is true that genetics ultimately determine your weak points and problem areas, but to say that you cannot train a certain part of a muscle group is simply not true. Take delts for example...if I only did rear dumbell flys, do you think my anterior delts would develop as quickly as the posterior? I think not...

In the same way, to say that you cannot specifically target the upper chest to stimulate growth is ridiculous.
    Of course not - but that's not the same thing at all. The rear delt and front delt are two different muscles with different origin and attachment points. The pec major is one muscle with no divisions.

What you just said is like saying leg curls will not target my quads. Of course they won't.

Rep Points

?

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Of course not - but that's not the same thing at all. The rear delt and front delt are two different muscles with different origin and attachment points. The pec major is one muscle with no divisions.
    Ya, we call the deltoid one muscle but it's really three separate things. The chest is two muscles, but the "upper" chest is the same muscle as the lower chest. That's like saying I can train my outer traps. How do you increase part of a muscle without the whole thing growing?

Rep Points

WTF Hench..... Now I'm never gonna be able to get coffee...... What are you some kind of coffee police, moderator wannabe. This is as sissy a move I've seen around here. Why don't you rep yourself -16924 for acting like a wench hench.

Hi, you have received -16924 reputation points from Hench.
    Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
    you need 500 posts to drink coffee here.

Regards,
    Hench

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast