• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cops arrest charity workers for illegally feeding homeless

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
by Jonathan Benson, staff writer

(NaturalNews) Feeding the homeless in a public park without the proper permits can land you in jail, at least in Orlando, Fla. A recent report in the Orlando Sentinel explains that police officers there arrested three volunteers with the Food Not Bombs (FNB) charity for illegally feeding a large group of homeless individuals in Orlando's Lake Eola Park.

Jessica Cross, 24, Benjamin Markeson, 49, and Jonathan "Keith" McHenry, 54, had been handing out food in the park when officers reportedly approached them. Local ordinances state that feeding more than 25 homeless people at a time in that area requires a city permit, and violation of these ordinances can result in a 60-day jail sentence, a $500 fine, or both. Because the group had not followed the rules, officers arrested the three with a set bail of $250 for each person.

"They basically carted them off to jail for feeding hungry people," said Douglas Coleman, a spokesman with the Orlando chapter of FNB. "For them (city officials) to regulate a time and place for free speech and to share food, that is unacceptable."

The group has been embroiled in a legal battle with the city for years, particularly after ordinances were passed in 2006 that essentially criminalized the feeding of the homeless in downtown parks. FNB filed a lawsuit against the city at that time, and a federal judge ruled in favor of the group in 2008. But in April 2011, the Federal 11th District Court of Appeals in Atlanta overturned the ruling, which gave the City of Orlando the green light to pursue FNB.

FNB admittedly knew that its recent actions would likely incite arrest, and even posted an alert on its website inviting supporters to "come ... (and) show support for the right to share food in public spaces and to observe the actions of Orlando police and city officials." Officials, however, say the group has always been free to feed the homeless in other designated areas, but instead decided to deliberately break the rules by feeding in the park.

"This is just a group that has decided that they want to be able to feed no matter what the city has done," said Lt. Barb Jones from the Orlando Police Department, to the UK's Daily Mail. "We paid for their permits ... and the city has set up locations for them to feed."

well i see a few misleading things here.....one is the garbage leftover from the handouts that they should have a city permit for otherwise the city will be responsible for paying for cleanup.....also food inspections are needed.....and by handing out freebies it's an unsanctioned gathering so probable a city ordinance violation......last what if someone gets sick from the handouts? without a permit then who's responsible?.............i appreciate people helping those in need, but i can see the legal side of it too

There must be very good reason why people need permit to feed poors. Any ways they should have done it without breaking the law. I wonder if good samarithan law applies to this kind situation.:thinking:

Yup! Although they mean well and are just trying to be good samaritans, you have to have a permit. That enables the law to keep some sick bastards that listen to some other sick bastard, tell them to Jim Jones their asses and put cyanide in their Kool-aid. Just to rid the city of poor and elderly people, who appreciate & gladly receive a handout.

Permits are required because the law demands that the food meets health and safety regulations. Some people give away food that was found in dumpsters, or prepared or not kept under the right conditions.

That park is directly across from my old 24/7 gym. What a ridiculous law. These guys are doing a noble thing. The problem with that park is its pretty and upscale. They dont want the homeless screwing up the image because its a tourist hotspot. Not to mention the upscale apartments nearby and the tenants complain about the homeless pissing in stairwells and sleeping in peoples doorways. But its mostly the fear of losing tourism dollars imo.

That park is directly across from my old 24/7 gym. What a ridiculous law. These guys are doing a noble thing. The problem with that park is its pretty and upscale. They dont want the homeless screwing up the image because its a tourist hotspot. Not to mention the upscale apartments nearby and the tenants complain about the homeless pissing in stairwells and sleeping in peoples doorways. But its mostly the fear of losing tourism dollars imo.

There it is!

I wonder how many pigeons you can feed at one time.

I agree with Irish, but the people who feed the homeless are a special breed. I don't think they are giving out dumpster food.

IML Gear Cream!
" Officials, however, say the group has always been free to feed the homeless in other designated areas, but instead decided to deliberately break the rules by feeding in the park.

"This is just a group that has decided that they want to be able to feed no matter what the city has done," said Lt. Barb Jones from the Orlando Police Department, to the UK's Daily Mail. "We paid for their permits ... and the city has set up locations for them to feed."

Admirable of them to want to feed the homeless, but come on, these folks were looking for a confrontation plain and simple. Sympathy.......out the window.

I say: Leave it up to the homeless.
If they are willing to risk eating the food/drink.
Then let them face the consequences.

If something happens, the cops can investigate :)lol:)

They may be using the law to that end, but the law itself makes sense.

When I was about 20, I worked at a restaurant. If the food isn't kept at specific temperatures and certain standards of cleanliness, people could end up with food poisoning. Anyone, the poor included, should be protected from poor food handling.

I'm not too sure, but it took me 3 of em, just to stop the hunger pangs.

And they're phuquin salty!

I heard they taste just like chicken.

Admirable of them to want to feed the homeless, but come on, these folks were looking for a confrontation plain and simple. Sympathy.......out the window.

Sometimes you have make a stand to get your point across.

When I was about 20, I worked at a restaurant. If the food isn't kept at specific temperatures and certain standards of cleanliness, people could end up with food poisoning. Anyone, the poor included, should be protected from poor food handling.

The homeless in Philly eat straight from the trash cans, so I'm sure even slop warmed up is better than the crust of someone's pizza that was just pulled out of a trashcan.

I agree with the reasoning behind the law. I don't agree with arresting the people, though. The cops should have dispersed the people feeding the poor, or written them a citation. Carting them off to jail is laughable.

LOL so eating food from the dumpster is safer??

:jerkit:

LOL so eating food from the dumpster is safer??

:jerkit:

That would be feeding oneself. It differs in the law that I mentioned about feeding others, because it involves more than oneself. Numbers are funny like that.

But yeah, there should be over site when feeding others. That way, if a small group of people fuck up the storage of food and kill 20 homeless people via salmonella, they can just say "whoops", because it's better than someone eating out of a garbage can.

That would be feeding oneself. It differs in the law that I mentioned about feeding others, because it involves more than oneself. Numbers are funny like that.

But yeah, there should be over site when feeding others. That way, if a small group of people fuck up the storage of food and kill 20 homeless people via salmonella, they can just say "whoops", because it's better than someone eating out of a garbage can.

Your logic is getting more and more retarded.

I think they're much more likely to have SPOILED FOOD from the dumpster/trash/etc.

IML Gear Cream!
Your logic is getting more and more retarded.

I think they're much more likely to have SPOILED FOOD from the dumpster/trash/etc.

Yes, but the person who eats out the dumpster is liable only for themselves, while people that server food take responsibility for others.

The law isn't just to protect the ones that eat, it also protects those that serve.

So, in your "no one is liable" world, what happens when someone feeds people that they get horrible sick and have to do to a hospital, or even die?

Come one, give me that dumb ass answer you're just waiting to give. It should be good for a laugh.

Maybe a good way to thin the homeless population would be to feed them tainted food.:hmmm:

Yes, but the person who eats out the dumpster is liable only for themselves, while people that server food take responsibility for others.

The law isn't just to protect the ones that eat, it also protects those that serve.

So, in your "no one is liable" world, what happens when someone feeds people that they get horrible sick and have to do to a hospital, or even die?

Come one, give me that dumb ass answer you're just waiting to give. It should be good for a laugh.

How would you be able to prove the sickness came from the people
feeding the homeless and not something the bum ate himself that same morning from the dumpster?

You can't. Never could.

It's a fool's game to begin with.

If it was poison. That'd be different. They could figure that one out.
And people would be held liable at that point, obviously.

And by your logic, we should make whoever owns the dumpsters/trashcans, liable for their waste.
Because hey, there's homeless around these parts, so you gotta make sure your trash is clean enough to eat, or you're liable.

It is stupid to think that people can get rid of homeless by feeding them poison. The way this country is going down the hill be prepared to see more homeless in the future. may be you yourself or your loved ones might also become homeless sometime in the future. These people are not born homeless, they became homeless. Not everyone can suceed in life. Some fail and some fail terribly, and some give up thinking there is no hope.
Anyway I think it is not a wise idea to keep feeding them for forever. Uncle Sam needs to find a way to help them help themselves get out of this sad situation. It makes me feel sad knowing people still go to bed hungry and sleep under the bridge and are looked down by the society. :(

I see some "homeless" in the food lines here in Philly sporting new nike's and gold chains.
Me thinks they are just out for a free meal.

How would you be able to prove the sickness came from the people
feeding the homeless and not something the bum ate himself that same morning from the dumpster?

You can't. Never could.

It's a fool's game to begin with.

If it was poison. That'd be different. They could figure that one out.
And people would be held liable at that point, obviously.

And by your logic, we should make whoever owns the dumpsters/trashcans, liable for their waste.
Because hey, there's homeless around these parts, so you gotta make sure your trash is clean enough to eat, or you're liable.

Because there'd be a rash of homeless people getting sick or dying all at the same time. You wouldn't need Sherlock Holmes to figure that one out.

So your answer to people accidentally poisoning people is...luck? Just hope they don't get caught?

So yeah, I guess the bums are better of dead anyway...

I see some "homeless" in the food lines here in Philly sporting new nike's and gold chains.
Me thinks they are just out for a free meal.
Maybe they are not real homeless but those opportunists blood suckers.:lol: Have you seen those fit and healthy people park their car at handicap spot?

Last edited:
^^^^^This is what I'm saying. Theres a good amount of homeless people in Philly and alot of volenteers feeding them free food.

I've seen what charity organization do to communities when freebies are given out. Downtown West Palm Beach is a perfect example. City spent tons of money rebuilding bringing in venues, businesses, night life. Homeless charities starting feeding the poor and drove people away. Though I think there should be such a place to help the unfortunate, proper planning must take place first.

Back