• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

FDA Warns of High-Grade Prostate Ca Risk With BPH Drugs

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
FDA Warns of High-Grade Prostate Ca Risk With BPH Drugs

EVERYTHING WILL KILL YOU! I take FINASTERIDE but I won't stop.... I don't think anyone who's healthy and taking it has anything to worry about.

By Emily P. Walker, Washington Correspondent, MedPage Today
Published: June 09, 2011

WASHINGTON -- The FDA has issued a warning of an increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer with the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors finasteride (Proscar) and dutasteride (Avodart), currently approved to treat benign prostatic hypertrophy.

The agency announced Thursday that it has updated the Warnings and Precautions section of labels for the class of drugs -- which includes branded products Propecia and Jalyn under which finasteride and dutasteride are marketed for other indications -- to reflect the increased risk.

"This risk appears to be low, but healthcare professionals should be aware of this safety information, and weigh the known benefits against the potential risks when deciding to start or continue treatment with 5-ARIs in men," the agency wrote in its safety announcement.

Avodart, Jalyn, and Proscar are approved to treat symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Propecia, at a 1-mg dose, is approved to treat hair loss in men.

The announcement follows the FDA's Oncologic Drugs Advisory Committee's vote of 17-0 in December that GlaxoSmithKline's dutasteride and Merck's finasteride should not be used to prevent prostate cancer because the drugs are linked to a higher incidence of high-grade tumors.

GlaxoSmithKline was seeking to expand dutasteride's indication to include reducing the risk of prostate cancer in men who have had a prior negative biopsy and who have an elevated PSA.

Merck hadn't been seeking an expanded indication, but the company wanted to update the label of finasteride to detail positive results of the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT), which demonstrated the drug's chemopreventive potential.

Although the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors were shown to prevent low-risk cancers better than placebo, two large clinical trials painted a disturbing link between both drugs and an increased incidence of higher-risk prostate cancers.

Taken together, data from the trials -- the PCPT and the Reduction by Dutasteride of Prostate Cancer Events (REDUCE) trial -- showed the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors both provided a statistically significant reduction in the cumulative incidence of prostate cancer after four years (REDUCE) and seven years (PCPT) of treatment with dutasteride and finasteride, respectively.

But both trials also found an unexpected increase in the incidence of high-grade prostate cancers among men receiving the 5-alpha reductase inhibitors.

In the REDUCE trial, 29 high-grade tumors were found among patients being treated with dutasteride compared with 19 in the placebo group.

In the PCPT, there was a 26% decrease in all prostate cancers but an absolute increase of 1.3% in the incidence of high-grade tumors.
According to an FDA statistician who spoke at the December advisory committee meeting, if 200 men are treated with the drugs, it is expected that there will be one additional tumor with a Gleason score of 8 to 10.

How to handle low-grade prostate cancer is controversial in the urology community, in part because it is unknown if the low-grade tumors would ever develop into high-grade tumors, and also because the method used to originally detect prostate cancer -- the PSA test -- is inexact.

About five million men received a prescription for a 5-ARI between 2002 and 2009, according to the FDA.

Thanks Prince. I know this was posted last month, but I just found it. My PSA spiked over the past 6 months. The doc naturally wants to do the dreaded biopsy. Had one of those things several years ago. F*cking medieval is all I can say about that test. Went through all that just to find out it was an infection. Back then, I had no symptoms, just an elevated PSA. The doctor mentioned over the phone that he often prescribes Avodart for BPH. I am not having any problems peeing or getting waking up up in the middle of the night. It really ticks me off how doctors can just jump to conclusions like this. He is an excellent urologist and I do trust him. But when he jumps on things like he did with this, it pisses me of. I will demand a retest of the PSA. The appointment is next Thursday.

ok association is not causal and the FDA has become more of a political body than sceintific.

Overall, men on these drugs have 26% less prostate cancers. When we put patients on these we anticipate that the PSA gets lowered by its effect on lowering the total mass of the prostate gland. I suspect these products by lowering the PSA artificially prevents that subtle early spike in PSA in people with aggressive prosate cancer. or it is a detection bias, the smaller prostates due to the medicines makes it easier to detect. see link below
The problem is the PSA is so non specific it is high in infections, after vigorous sex, enlargement etc. and not always with cancer. They are looking for a more specific psa ( even free psa still misses the boat)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/705804

Finasteride Does Not Increase Risk for High-Grade Prostate Cancer
and it comments on the study the FDA is citing

Last edited:
Back