Meal timing

Thread: Meal timing

Former Fat Girl
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Meal timing

Can someone please clarify for me once and for all the meal timing. I eat every 2-3 hours (2 when I've had only a shake the meal before and 3 when I've had whole food) so is it two hours from the start of the last meal or from the end of last meal?

Just curious......
    Completed:
    Indianapolis Mini Marathon 2004 and 2005
    Valparaiso Mini Marathon 2006
    Chicago Marathon 2004 and 2006

www.myspace.com/fitness_runner

Another Arnold wannabe
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I go three hours from the finish, and try to keep all meals the same size (I count a shake as real food, and usually have more to eat with one.)

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I do three hours from the start of my last meal.
    I don't think you are going to be able to get a straight answer to this. Everyone is different. Why don't you eat 3 hours from from the time your last meal started OR finished depending on when you get hungry next?

If that makes any sense to you. (It sounded good in my head but now that I am looking at it I don't know what to think.)
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Rep Points

y is it that i get hungy faster when i take a shake and not when i eat whole food,even though the cals,pfotein fat ,carb levels are the same?

Amor Fati

Rep Points

Raider,

Liquid will always digest faster than whole food, and you will become hungry.

Hammerlynn,

do you think 30min is really going to make a difference? It truly doesn't matter in the larger scheme of things. Stressing over tiny details is pointless. Just make sure your calorie intake is in line with your goals eat 6 times a day, for satiety purposes and you'll be fine.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

Rep Points

Just be consistent...doesn't really matter which you choose.

Rep Points

yanick,when i take a whey shake,is it ok to eat my next meal when i get ,even if its only 2 hours later?

Patrick
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

y is it that i get hungy faster when i take a shake and not when i eat whole food,even though the cals,pfotein fat ,carb levels are the same?
    Raider, I had the same problem. The shake would just go right through me, no matter what I put in it. So now instead of mixing stuff into my shake, I just mix it with water and take it straight up. But before I drink it I eat something with some substance. I usually eat grapefruit or some fiber one (dry). The fiber slows down my shake and I am not hungry until my next meal about 2.5-3 hours later.
    Optimum Sports Performance

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, in the experts there are few."
    -Buddha's Little Instruction Book

Amor Fati

Rep Points

Yes you can eat your meal earlier if you are hungrier. Or you can split your shake into two. IE drink half at 12 then drink the other half 1-1.5 hours later. That helps me. Or you could do what P-funk suggested, ie have some whole food and then drink your shake. You can try adding fiber into your shake, like metamucil or flax seeds. That might help, although i'm not sure if it will even be noticeable.

Either way you slice it, it doesn't matter. Just make sure you cals are inline with your goals and you'll be fine. An hour will not make a huge difference either way.
    "The greatest obstacle to knowledge is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge." -Barry Marshall, Nobel Laureate

Rep Points

thanx a lot guys

ADMINISTRATOR

Rep Points

I do not know about others, but it only takes me around 10 minutes to eat a meal, so it does not really matter for me, I just eat at 7, 10, 1, 4 and 7.

IronMagLabs 15% Discount Code: Robert15

IronMag Research 15% Discount Code: Robert15