NapsGear.net

Overtaxing the nervous system

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Overtaxing the nervous system

Wondering if any of the advanced age lifters here (I'm in my late 30's) ever have a problem with this.

Recently I started lifting heavier again wanting to gain some strength back which has been going very well. However, just recently I've noticed that after about 8-10 sets my system starts to go a little haywire - shaky, feeling lightheaded sometimes and very tired afterwards with poor concentration. I'm doing about a 5-8RM program depending on the muscle group.

Could I just be using too short rest between sets? I normally rest for anywhere from 45-90 seconds.
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

can't never could
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

you know more about this stuff than this newbie, but for me, if i'm going 5-8 i take atleast 2 min between. There has to be time for the glycogen to be replenished-or whatever all the scientific explanation is- i just know (for me) if i dont adjust my rest to the intensity level i dont get a good wo.I've found the same to be true about rest between wo's. If i go to absolute failure on my deds i need an extra day to recoup, or my next wo stinks. Take a longer time and see what happens, play with the variables untill it changes.
    ps did u get that name from the "outsiders" by se hinton?

Non-Elite Member

Rep Points

I had that problem, especially on leg day. I always felt like I've had enough after 2 heavy exercises on legs... but Jack3d took care of that.

Training Trainer
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by x~factor View Post
    I had that problem, especially on leg day. I always felt like I've had enough after 2 heavy exercises on legs... but Jack3d took care of that.
    I'm also wondering if I need more food preworkout or simply something different. Normally because I'm so busy I have to get into the workout on a break and often it's been at least 3 hours since my last meal. I always eat afterwards properly.

And yes, the nickname is from the Outsiders. I look a lot like the character (or used to 20 years ago) and it stuck.
    Today I can do what others will not so that tomorrow I will do what others cannot.

The difference between winners and losers is that winners do things that losers don't want to do.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    Wondering if any of the advanced age lifters here (I'm in my late 30's) ever have a problem with this.

Recently I started lifting heavier again wanting to gain some strength back which has been going very well. However, just recently I've noticed that after about 8-10 sets my system starts to go a little haywire - shaky, feeling lightheaded sometimes and very tired afterwards with poor concentration. I'm doing about a 5-8RM program depending on the muscle group.

Could I just be using too short rest between sets? I normally rest for anywhere from 45-90 seconds.
    That doesn't sound like over-taxing the CNS. That sounds much more like going temporarilly hypoglycemic as a result of your workout. Symptoms of an over-taxed CNS is usually relegated to a drastic loss in performance. The primary symptom of over-trained CNS is the weight feeling much heavier then normal/you feel much weaker then normal.

Feeling shaky, lightheaded, loss of concentration are much more symptomatic of going hypo. In that case, up your carbs pre-workout.

"King of Cheat Meals"

Rep Points

When lifting for strength I usually take a good 2 to 3 minutes between sets. Never had an issue with any gains as long as I'm eating right, which leads me to the other point. How is your eating? I would experiment with your intake windows like you hinted to. But also it could simply be you doing a bit much more that what you're accustomed to. You could need more time to adjust to the extra workloads and that goes back to more rest between sets for me. I agree that lightheadedness,shaky, etc. seem more in line with low sugar or low oxygen as opposed to cns being overtaxed. Just turned 35 by the way.
    Last edited by Merkaba; 07-05-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    Ban 2 1/2 's !!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------
    Some Oooold Pics. All Natural. More to come soon...Still all natural

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Throw in a shake w/ some carbs before you train. I can't function when I"m past my 3 hour window, much less train.

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    I'm also wondering if I need more food preworkout or simply something different. Normally because I'm so busy I have to get into the workout on a break and often it's been at least 3 hours since my last meal. I always eat afterwards properly.

And yes, the nickname is from the Outsiders. I look a lot like the character (or used to 20 years ago) and it stuck.
    Yes, it sounds like your body is burned and your pushing it. Carb load. 1 hour before your workout have a nice meal ( a shake with cereal or fruit, etc) and right before the workout have half a cliff bar or the like. Try that out it should help. Lastly try adding some coffee to your shake

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

CNS overload is something that happens over time, not just a few days. That's the reason people apply periodization / active recovery phases on a larger cycle than just your weekly split.

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

peacemaker

Rep Points

i always eat 1-1 1/2 hours before the gym. I don't even like lifting if i don't have at least 3 meals in me before i lift.
    Sometimes the truth can rape your entire belief system.