• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Overtaxing the nervous system

ponyboy

Training Trainer
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Wondering if any of the advanced age lifters here (I'm in my late 30's) ever have a problem with this.

Recently I started lifting heavier again wanting to gain some strength back which has been going very well. However, just recently I've noticed that after about 8-10 sets my system starts to go a little haywire - shaky, feeling lightheaded sometimes and very tired afterwards with poor concentration. I'm doing about a 5-8RM program depending on the muscle group.

Could I just be using too short rest between sets? I normally rest for anywhere from 45-90 seconds.

you know more about this stuff than this newbie, but for me, if i'm going 5-8 i take atleast 2 min between. There has to be time for the glycogen to be replenished-or whatever all the scientific explanation is- i just know (for me) if i dont adjust my rest to the intensity level i dont get a good wo.I've found the same to be true about rest between wo's. If i go to absolute failure on my deds i need an extra day to recoup, or my next wo stinks. Take a longer time and see what happens, play with the variables untill it changes.
ps did u get that name from the "outsiders" by se hinton?

I had that problem, especially on leg day. I always felt like I've had enough after 2 heavy exercises on legs... but Jack3d took care of that.

I had that problem, especially on leg day. I always felt like I've had enough after 2 heavy exercises on legs... but Jack3d took care of that.

I'm also wondering if I need more food preworkout or simply something different. Normally because I'm so busy I have to get into the workout on a break and often it's been at least 3 hours since my last meal. I always eat afterwards properly.

And yes, the nickname is from the Outsiders. I look a lot like the character (or used to 20 years ago) and it stuck.

Wondering if any of the advanced age lifters here (I'm in my late 30's) ever have a problem with this.

Recently I started lifting heavier again wanting to gain some strength back which has been going very well. However, just recently I've noticed that after about 8-10 sets my system starts to go a little haywire - shaky, feeling lightheaded sometimes and very tired afterwards with poor concentration. I'm doing about a 5-8RM program depending on the muscle group.

Could I just be using too short rest between sets? I normally rest for anywhere from 45-90 seconds.

That doesn't sound like over-taxing the CNS. That sounds much more like going temporarilly hypoglycemic as a result of your workout. Symptoms of an over-taxed CNS is usually relegated to a drastic loss in performance. The primary symptom of over-trained CNS is the weight feeling much heavier then normal/you feel much weaker then normal.

Feeling shaky, lightheaded, loss of concentration are much more symptomatic of going hypo. In that case, up your carbs pre-workout.

When lifting for strength I usually take a good 2 to 3 minutes between sets. Never had an issue with any gains as long as I'm eating right, which leads me to the other point. How is your eating? I would experiment with your intake windows like you hinted to. But also it could simply be you doing a bit much more that what you're accustomed to. You could need more time to adjust to the extra workloads and that goes back to more rest between sets for me. I agree that lightheadedness,shaky, etc. seem more in line with low sugar or low oxygen as opposed to cns being overtaxed. Just turned 35 by the way.

Last edited:
Throw in a shake w/ some carbs before you train. I can't function when I"m past my 3 hour window, much less train.

I'm also wondering if I need more food preworkout or simply something different. Normally because I'm so busy I have to get into the workout on a break and often it's been at least 3 hours since my last meal. I always eat afterwards properly.

And yes, the nickname is from the Outsiders. I look a lot like the character (or used to 20 years ago) and it stuck.

Yes, it sounds like your body is burned and your pushing it. Carb load. 1 hour before your workout have a nice meal ( a shake with cereal or fruit, etc) and right before the workout have half a cliff bar or the like. Try that out it should help. Lastly try adding some coffee to your shake

CNS overload is something that happens over time, not just a few days. That's the reason people apply periodization / active recovery phases on a larger cycle than just your weekly split.

i always eat 1-1 1/2 hours before the gym. I don't even like lifting if i don't have at least 3 meals in me before i lift.

Back