Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair

View Poll Results: Should this girl be allowed to cheer?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 11.54%
  • No.

23 88.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair

Girl with no arms and legs says cheerleading try-out is unfair after she fails to make school squad

By John Stevens
    July 13, 2011

A Nebraska girl born with no arms and legs has blamed unfair scoring after she failed to make her school's cheerleading squad three years in a row.

Julia Sullivan, 16, has complained to the school board after she said she was given 'no accommodation for her disability' during try-outs.

The wheelchair user did not make the team after she received a low score in the jumps/kicks category of the trials.

Miss Sullivan got her highest marks in the communication skills and enthusiasm/spirit categories.

The Aurora High School student, who said that she likes to dance, said: "I just think it would be fun."

Miss Sullivan told the Omaha World-Herald that she had practiced for the try-outs with her older sister, who is a former cheerleader.

She had worked out ways that she could cheer from her wheelchair, including spinning around.

Miss Sullivan and her parents, Mike and Carolyn Sullivan, asked the school board to correct what they see as 'scoring errors' in her try-out.

They complained that the school had broken the Americans with Disabilities Act and other discrimination laws.

On Monday, the board declined to take up the matter after reviewing the district's policies with its lawyers and seeking a second legal opinion.

Aurora superintendent Damon McDonald said: "In both cases, they came back and said the Aurora Public Schools policies and guidelines are appropriate and legitimate for all students."

He told the World-Herald that he does not believe that they violated the disabilities act and that making accommodations "would fundamentally alter the cheerleading program."

Mike Sullivan said he was frustrated by the outcome.

"For us, it's the basic principle," he told the World-Herald. "Any handicapped child in Nebraska could be kept out of activities."

Miss Sullivan, who has no legs and arms that stop short of her elbows, has already overcome her disability to become a member of the school's marching band.

She hangs a cymbal from her wheelchair, which she operates with one arm and hits the cymbal with a stick attached to the other.

She took dance lessons for ten years, sitting on the floor with shoes placed on her arms so that she could tap rhythms on the floor.

From Dailymail.co.uk

###

At first glance, I thought this was absurd or a joke, but on further consideration where would the harm be for the school board to allow the girl to wear a cheering outfit and participate as she's able -- spinning in her chair and cheering along with the other girls?

Sadly, I bet it just either a) creeps someone out or b) is an example of a stubborn school board member refusing to change the status quo or reinvent what's considered normal.

Again, you almost can't help but laugh or at least... blink to hear or read someone -- anyone -- dispute a ruling or judgment that a girl with no legs would get low marks or, hey, a zero score for, yeah, kicking and jumping, but accommodations could be made.

The girl and her cheerleader sister already thought of some simple changes to what is typically defined as cheering.

And you can bet that if this child had been a cheerleader who lost her arms and legs in an accident, that the school board members would be bending over backwards to get her in a cheering jersey and wheel her out on the playing field to the applause of her classmates and family members.

What are your thoughts?

Idiotic or possible?

Give the girl a chance to participate in her own way or maintain what's traditionally recognized as cheerleading?

Pics ASAP. I'm posting this from my phone.
    Last edited by Curt James; 07-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.

Addict/Self-Cert Chemist

Rep Points

The wheelchair user did not make the team after she received a low score in the jumps/kicks category of the trials.
    oh god
    All posts made under this user are strictly entertainment purposes only. All stories are strictly fictional and not intended to be taken seriously.

BANNED SCAMMER

Rep Points

this dumb [expletive deleted]. lawsuit is imminent. this world is full of [expletive deleted] and PC [expletive deleted]. [expletive deleted], you can do it, dont be a [expletive deleted].
    Last edited by Curt James; 07-15-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Ben, this is Open Chat. Please watch your language.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

That's messed up!

She may not have any arms or legs, but she obviously has school spirit just to try out.

Way to go school for displaying your discriminating ways, it's high school for god sakes!

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Thumbs up

she could be the mouth piece for them with the horn.

couldn't come up with anything else
    Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but Cabbage with a College Education.

Addict/Self-Cert Chemist

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    she could be the mouth piece for them with the horn.

couldn't come up with anything else

or that girl they throw up in the air, could you imagine
    All posts made under this user are strictly entertainment purposes only. All stories are strictly fictional and not intended to be taken seriously.

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

If the girl was cut along with ten other girls then I'd almost tend to agree with the school board.

They can't have 1,000 girls and boys on the sidelines cheering at games, right?

Still, I believe it's reasonable to make the attempt or expect a small allowance given her disability.

IronAddict, I'd call it discrimination, too. You're right -- it's high school! This isn't a pro sports team.

Nightowl, a perfect solution. If they can hang an instrument from her chair to allow her to be part of the band then they could do the same to let her have a spot on the cheering squad.
    Last edited by Curt James; 07-19-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Rep Points

hahaha any pic's of this girl?

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by flexxthese View Post
    or that girl they throw up in the air, could you imagine
    Or a replacement for lost or stolen soccer balls!

Can you imagine, her being kicked and yelling, GGGOOOOAAAALl!

BANNED SCAMMER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigbenj View Post
    this dumb [expletive deleted]. lawsuit is imminent. this world is full of [expletive deleted] and PC [expletive deleted]. [expletive deleted], you can do it, dont be a [expletive deleted].
    Sorry Curt Old Boy, I thought this was anything goes. my apologies.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by bigbenj View Post
    Sorry Curt Old Boy, I thought this was anything goes. my apologies.
    Benj, it takes a great big man to apologize.

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

flexxthese, I imagine she'd be more aerodynamic.

jimmy93, pics ASAP. The original article has at least two shots of the child. I'm posting from my phone. Just easier to post pics from my laptop.

IronAddict, you iz goin to HAIL, son.

(Don't worry, I'll get us a table at the bar.)

Big Ben, no [expletive deleted] worries. I prefer a few [expletive deleted] choice words in a [expletive deleted] conversation, my own [expletive deleted] self.

Addict/Self-Cert Chemist

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IronAddict View Post
    Or a replacement for lost or stolen soccer balls!

Can you imagine, her being kicked and yelling, GGGOOOOAAAALl!
    oh it hurts! Someone should offer her a spot on the swim team

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

At some point common sense must prevail and she must realize her short comings in life.

She could beat the drums in band with her head, I mean hell if Def Lepard had a one arm drummer why not? Even Don Brewer used his head on the snare...

Around 4:50
    Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Bohemian Extraordinaire
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Her father?

Coarse edged youth, the irish pendants string from their smiles
    not yet plucked as to slacken the seams
    and drag down the features of age,
    no folds or creases from unkempt wear
    eyes of tranquilty, crystalline-beads
    no sign of despair in their hair, nor their hearts
    but oh they have yet to be experienced and that makes aging so very worth it...ML circa2012

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy93 View Post
    hahaha any pic's of this girl?
    Girl with no arms and legs says Nebraska school cheerleading try-out is unfair | Mail Online

Rep Points

she needs to get over it..

Is Doin It 4 Da Shorteez

Rep Points

I hope she doesn't like basketball or track & field
    William F. Buckley describes a conservative as, "someone who stands athwart history, yelling Stop." - and then proceeds to drag civilization back to times best left in history's dungheap.

SeƱor Member
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

She had worked out ways that she could cheer from her wheelchair, including spinning around.

And since when is profane language prohibited from open chat? I know it's not Anything Goes and you can't insult members and go off-topic and such, but I remember still being able to curse.

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by maniclion View Post
    Her father?

Have you ever heard of this guy?

Nick Vujicic :: Attitude is Altitude :: No Arms, No Legs, No Worries

(Not the dad, btw.)

Rep Points

Surely they could use her on the volleyball team. Oh, this thread has endless possibilidads!

Rep Points

Looks like she'd be pretty easy for those male cheerleaders to toss about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by MCx2 View Post
    And since when is profane language prohibited from open chat? I know it's not Anything Goes and you can't insult members and go off-topic and such, but I remember still being able to curse.
    Can't go off-topic? Really? I've always enjoyed some constructive thread drift.

Fwiw, it was context and quantity as much as profanity. I've never seen an actual "rule book" either, so it's also a judgment call.

"this dumb [expletive deleted]. lawsuit is imminent. this world is full of [expletive deleted] and PC [expletive deleted]. [expletive deleted], you can do it, dont be a [expletive deleted]."

Pushed my censor buttons.

YOU ME WE
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Have you ever heard of this guy?

Nick Vujicic :: Attitude is Altitude :: No Arms, No Legs, No Worries

(Not the dad, btw.)
    Didn't he used to play guard for the lakers?

Oh, that was sasha.

wrk'n project mayhem

Rep Points

Curt James you SON OF A BITCH!!!... I just want to say thanks for ruining my Friday night. Ugh I may get flamed and made fun of for this but I don’t care-

This is the saddest most depressing story I've read in awhile. I feel so bad for her like I kind of really started to tear up at my desk at work.

I can see both sides of it too, you're a fool and naive if you really believe that crap about you can do whatever you want in life if you just try hard enough blah blah blah. She clearly isn't capable of performing the duties that cheerleaders normally do. She can't. (PERIOD!) We are all limited in some way.

However this isn't a caveman civilization and we can make concessions for people and if she feels she's being discriminated against, that they could work her into the squad somehow and actually use her she's kind of right. They could work her into the routine....

I think the point is this is fucking sad... to be born without legs and arms?? live your whole life like that? ugh poor girl. seriously I feel so bad for her. that's just sad....life is so shitty and unfair sometimes. I wish she didn’t have to go through that.

wrk'n project mayhem

Rep Points

and btw I know there's bigger tragedies in this world, I'm not trying to make this out to be the worst. I feel for them too....

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by IronAddict View Post
    Didn't he used to play guard for the lakers?

Oh, that was sasha.
    Lulz

You know, it would have to be a million times worse to lose arms and legs than to have never had them.

There's a YouTube out there somewhere of a man who makes furniture using just his feet. Hammering, Sawing, using a lathe. Pretty crazy. I'll post that when I get home, too.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by awhites1 View Post
    and btw I know there's bigger tragedies in this world, I'm not trying to make this out to be the worst. I feel for them too....
    WOW, I loved both of your posts in this thread. It's nice to see ones heart. It is very sad. I also see both sides. Poor girl.

Thanks for the thread Curt, it gives me many more reason to count my blessings.

Elite Member
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by awhites1 View Post
    Curt James you SON OF A BITCH!!!... I just want to say thanks for ruining my Friday night. (snip)
    I'm here for you, man.

But, seriously, I heard a radio announcer -- what sounded like -- mocking the girl or the situation while I was driving yesterday.

Only heard a bit of it and thought he might have just been making a fictional girl up to make fun of lawsuits or unreasonable expectations. I Googled, something like, "no arms no legs cheerleader unfair" today and the story popped up.

Reading the article changed my mind a bit. If she was the only girl to get cut? Come on. It's high school. Let her spin in her chair and cheer with the other girls in that way.

Rep Points

When you see something like this, it definitely makes you grateful for what you have. It makes you realize that most of us don't have jack shit to complain about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast