NapsGear.net

Follow Us on Facebook        Subscribe to us on YouTube        Follow Us on Twitter        IronMagLabs on Instagram        Sign Up for our Newsletter

Calves man...

Thread: Calves man...

The User

Rep Points

Calves man...

I dono about you guys, but calves kick my ass! Everyone says you gotta kill um to grow and I've been doing that for a better part of a year with minimal results. Any thoughts, ideas, advice?

On leg days I'm usually doing seated calf raises to start, then move to standing calf raises. Mixing it up in weight and reps all the time to shock the muscles. Going to failure and even supersets. ugh... haha

Rep Points

do you jog much? im also in the same boat but i get an insane pump when i jog. i've noticed an increase since i've started doing more cardio.

Non-Elite Member

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by lcht2 View Post
    do you jog much? im also in the same boat but i get an insane pump when i jog. i've noticed an increase since i've started doing more cardio.
    I've noticed that as well. It doesn't really give it that bulky look though, just a little more pumped look, if that makes any sense.

From what I've read, you are either blessed with calves or you are not, in which case we're both screwed. LOL

Student of the Game

Rep Points

Look up DC calf training or check out intense muscle.com for info about it. My calves were way behind, but since starting to train them like Dante recommends, they have grown to proportion.

The User

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by x~factor View Post
    I've noticed that as well. It doesn't really give it that bulky look though, just a little more pumped look, if that makes any sense.

From what I've read, you are either blessed with calves or you are not, in which case we're both screwed. LOL
    I haven't done much jogging at all cuz I've been trying to bulk up but when i used to jog i felt the pumps for sure

But i hear ya on the blessed part haha, I got a buddy that has freakin huge calves and he doesn't do shit to them. Just lives his life and walks around.

The User

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Anabolic5150 View Post
    Look up DC calf training or check out intense muscle.com for info about it. My calves were way behind, but since starting to train them like Dante recommends, they have grown to proportion.
    Thanks man, Ill check it out for sure, and thats the whole reason I've been tryin to kill my calves. All about that proportion!!

Rep Points

Plyometric work did wonders for my calves. The explosive movements essentially forced them to grow as my power increased. I know you're on a bulking routine, but plyo workouts can take as little as 15 intense minutes and can easily be combated by consuming additional calories. Plyometric workouts aren't for everyone, but I found they increased my calf size, proportioned me out, and increased my athleticism tremendously.

Rep Points

Calves are a funny one. A friend of mine had calf troubles for years and DC's method ended up working wonders for him. Another guy I knew used to swear by hitting em hard, and letting em rest a full week. And then of course there are plenty of people that build massive calves from cardio alone. What works best for me is just training them frequently with progressive overload. I'll hit em every other day, 2 sets seated, 2 sets straight legged, don't go to failure, one set of each toes pointed in, one set of each toes pointed out. Everyone's different though, try a routine that's new to you for a few weeks and see if it helps. Also, gaining weight is a pretty sure-fire way to build up the calves.

The User

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by theyard13 View Post
    Plyometric work did wonders for my calves. The explosive movements essentially forced them to grow as my power increased. I know you're on a bulking routine, but plyo workouts can take as little as 15 intense minutes and can easily be combated by consuming additional calories. Plyometric workouts aren't for everyone, but I found they increased my calf size, proportioned me out, and increased my athleticism tremendously.
    I will take it into consideration buddy, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Calves of Steel View Post
    Calves are a funny one. A friend of mine had calf troubles for years and DC's method ended up working wonders for him. Another guy I knew used to swear by hitting em hard, and letting em rest a full week. And then of course there are plenty of people that build massive calves from cardio alone. What works best for me is just training them frequently with progressive overload. I'll hit em every other day, 2 sets seated, 2 sets straight legged, don't go to failure, one set of each toes pointed in, one set of each toes pointed out. Everyone's different though, try a routine that's new to you for a few weeks and see if it helps. Also, gaining weight is a pretty sure-fire way to build up the calves.
    I take it you know your Calves hence the name? and yea I hear ya, I've been trying to mix it up lately to see if anything works better then others.