• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

London Riots

Curt James

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Darcus Howe Cites Racial Profiling As Key Factor In London Riots

The riots that broke out across England this week were the consequence of years of built-up resentment among Britain's young, mostly black, underclass, the Caribbean-British writer and activist Darcus Howe told The Huffington Post on Wednesday.

"It's an insurrection of a generation of poor, primarily, black people from the Caribbean and from Africa," said Howe, who became something of an Internet sensation on this side of the Atlantic after his recent appearance on the BBC turned into a testy exchange over his claims that the authorities were failing to listen to the riots' underlying cause.

The police "do not have any sense of what informs the explosive character of what is happening here," Howe said, pointing his finger at the increasingly controversial practice of stopping and searching youth in working class neighborhoods.

The killing by police last week of Mark Duggan, a 29-year-old black man from the London neighborhood of Tottenham, has been widely credited with setting off the flood of outrage that led to the riots. (The police say that Duggan was armed, and suggest he may have fired first; an investigation is underway.)

"That was the catalyst, and residing in the catalyst is the cause," Howe said. "And the cause was the constant stopping and searching of young blacks."

The few emerging voices of young people who took to the streets in London -- or shared their common cause -- in recent days point to much the same set of complaints.

"Why did people do this?" asked Yohanes Scarlett, a student who said he knew some of the rioters, on the BBC show "Newsnight" Tuesday. "There's a lot of anger and aggression in the streets. There's many people out there who knew this was coming, who saw that this was coming, and have warned this was coming. Government, police ... they have not listened."

By and large, the response to the riots across British society has been outright rejection and condemnation, with the youth in the street branded wholesale as thugs and criminals.

On Wednesday, Prime Minister David Cameron told the press that "nothing was off the table" in the government's response to any future rioting, including the use of water cannons or rubber bullets.

"This continued violence is simply not acceptable, and it will be stopped," Cameron said. "We will not put up with this in our country. We will not allow a culture of fear to exist on our streets."

In a poll published Wednesday by the conservative newspaper The Sun, a third of respondents said they would welcome the use of live ammunition against the youth in the streets.

Howe told The Huffington Post that while he did not condone the rioting, he did not think the government's response had shown much indication that conditions would improve.

"They're all behaving like President Assad," he said, referring to the embattled Syrian leader who has lately confronted a popular uprising inside his country with tanks and mortar shells.

"What we found out recently is the prime minister and his ilk have no idea who their citizens are," he added. "Even the blacks among them do not know who they represent. There is a black member of parliament from Tottenham when the riots broke out, and he said, 'These people who burned the place down are not from Tottemham; they came from elsewhere.' Nobody knows where Tottenham begins, and where it ends."

Howe, who was born in Trinidad and is 68 years old, has a long history of social-justice activism in England, and has become a familiar face to British television viewers on the subjects of race and urban discontent.

In the 1970s and 1980s, he was a leading figure of a movement of West Indian-born immigrants to the outskirts of London who deplored their treatment by the police and government officials.

"Since 1968 he's been a black radical, organizing street-level campaigns against police racism," said Robin Bunce, a politics professor at Cambridge University and author of a forthcoming biography on Howe.

Howe, Bunce said, was instrumental in organizing a 1981 demonstration in his neighborhood of Brixton, that was a near precursor to the now famous riots there -- but was not a participant in those riots.

"He was living in Brixton but not involved other than as a kind of commentator," Bunce said. "Darcus' big concern today is police stopping and searching black people, mainly black young men, and this is really the same thing that started the Brixton riots in 1981."

The youth of today, Howe said, are much more determined and disappointed than even his own generation, and they see in the present moment an opportunity to express their discontent.

"They are much more mature and they have greater expectations," Howe said. "[In the 1980s], we'd say, 'Well, we weren't born here, we must accept that.' But this is a generation who has this feeling, like instinctive animals, about who they are, and what they won't put up with, and that is what has brought them to the streets today."

"There is a sense of uprising, because the kids see it on the television," he added. "They see the Arab Spring. And once [the police] killed Mark Duggan, they felt, 'No. They've gone too far.'"

From Darcus Howe Cites Racial Profiling As Key Factor In London Riots

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

poor people not putting up with rich peoples bullshit or what? I've read so much about this story and can't figure out which side is right... Not that violence is ever, to be politically correct, right.

Yeah, normally it's easy to tell if they people are fighting oppression or just looting, but this one isn't easy to call.

If I was going to make a call, I see it as a bunch of third-world people being third-world in a first-world nation, along a very small group of opportunistic first-world douche bags.

I'm going with a bunch of students and unemployed youths

Darcus Howe Cites Racial Profiling As Key Factor In London Riots

The riots that broke out across England this week were the consequence of years of built-up resentment among Britain's young, mostly black, underclass, the Caribbean-British writer and activist Darcus Howe told The Huffington Post on Wednesday.

"It's an insurrection of a generation of poor, primarily, black people from the Caribbean and from Africa," said Howe, who became something of an Internet sensation on this side of the Atlantic after his recent appearance on the BBC turned into a testy exchange over his claims that the authorities were failing to listen to the riots' underlying cause.

I don't see it so....black and white (no pun).

And it was blacks who killed the three Paki Muslim in Birmingham.

Not a lot of good jobs in the UK, and it's an expensive place. Not a lot of motivation by many of Britain blacks, either.

What *mayy* have started as a political issue/polic issue over the shooting quickly turned into "destroy shit and steal what you can." This is obviousy from the footage.

The UK is very different than the US when it comes to race and multi-culturalims and the concept of class.

Lot of Eastern Europeans (mostly from Poland) can legally work in the UK, and they took almost all of the construction, concrete, carpenter, electrician jobs that native born Brits used to do, because the Eastern Europeans will work for less.

As for the UK, multi-culturalism has been a failure. But it's too late for the UK to go back.

i live in england and the media is only showing london having riots and being looted.
the riots in london are probaly the biggest but in the last month or so similar shit has been happening in alot of the bigger towns and citys (mostly in the poorer black/paki/muslim/indian areas).

theres many reasons that i can think of that have caused this
1) overpopulation
2) lack of jobs /oppertunaties
3) most of these scum bags live on state benafits so probaly just bored
4) under education
5)the police have little power and the prisons over here have good living standards
6)the recession

i dont mean to sound racist as i most defenatly am not but sinse the uk has been flooded with migrants it has seen more drugs,violence,crime etc etc

IML Gear Cream!
I have to point out something, this is not a Muslim or middle east related problem, it is caused 90% black and Anarchist groups.

There have been reports on foreigners protecting neighborhoods and shops. Mostly Turks and Kurds in Dalston area.

London riots: 'People are fighting back. It's their neighbourhoods at stake' | UK news | The Guardian

When the rioters came to attack the premises of Kurdish and Turkish businesses in Hackney's Stoke Newington High Street and Kingsland Road on Monday night, the owners were waiting for them.

"It was between about nine and 10 at night," said Yilmaz Karagoz, sitting in his coffee shop next to a jeweller's shop that has been shuttered since Sunday when the rioting began and a pharmacy that closed a day after.

"There were a lot of them. We came out of our shops but the police asked us to do nothing. But the police did not do anything so, as more came, we chased them off ourselves." The staff from a local kebab restaurant ran at the attackers, doner knives in their hands. "I don't think they will be coming back," Karagoz said.

On Green Street in East Ham a similar-sized group of rioters was chased away by several hundred Asian residents. And in Bethnal Green local shopkeepers came out to defend their property.

Turkish shopkeepers stand firm against rioters in Dalston | Hackney Citizen

Whilst serious violence hit the borough last night as disturbances spread across Hackney Central, Hackney Downs and London Fields, further west in Dalston the Turkish community took to the streets to defend their shops and businesses on Kingsland Road.

There were a series of small confrontations from around 9.30pm between groups of youths and Turkish business owners and other members of the Turkish community on Kingsland Road, just north of Crossway.

One Turkish man told the Citizen that the youths had attempted to attack the Tugra baklava shop, but that it had been successfully defended by the community without police help.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you every actually say anything? Good god, about 90% of your posts are the coffee emoticon. Really, it adds nothing.
I'm dealing with all them spooks and arabs mate My city in in flames.:coffee:

Do you every actually say anything? Good god, about 90% of your posts are the coffee emoticon. Really, it adds nothing.

agreed, bring something to the table.

I'm going with a bunch of students and unemployed youths

Turns out it was "responsible" people. The one article I posted recently listed a hairdresser, a lifeguard, an 11-year-old boy, and a millionaire's daughter. :hmmm:

Who'dathunkit?

Back