I thought of this thread after reading the thread on the West Memphis three.
I grew up in a normal so-called middle class neighboord about 30 miles west of Seattle across the water. Crime was low. In high school (class of '88) there were a few fist fights, and it never went beyond that.
But some friends (meaning, we went to each other's houses, hung out, met each other families), and some acquaintances ended up doing prison time.
Here are some.
1. Friend in Jr. High, and a little in high school: he's doing 15 years (no parole) as a habitual offender). Long crim record.
2. Friend doing life without parole. Did the crime at 17, sentenced at 18, because it took a while to get to trial.
3. Friend. Brother of #2 lifer got 9 years, and is out. Changed his name, when to bible college, and moved to Virginia.
4. Friend: did 5 years for dealing Meth. Got hooked, then dealed. Talks about prison with (without saying it directly) like it was nostalgic high school days.
5. Acquaintence from high school: doing 30 in a federal pen. Big meth dealer who paid someone off to kill a rival dealer, but the hit man was FBI.
How about you?
Know anybody in the can? How long? What for?