Whey Protein is now more expensive than Chicken (price per grams protein)!!! GTFIH

View Poll Results: Chicken or Whey?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chicken, cooked in bulk for the week to replace whey for good

5 26.32%
  • Stick with whey shakes post workout

14 73.68%
    McBain

Rep Points

Whey Protein is now more expensive than Chicken (price per grams protein)!!! GTFIH

Exactly what the title says. Calculated out the costs, and at $35 for a 5lb tub of ON whey (which appears rarely on sale - it's usually more like $40 at cheapest. EAS from Costco is also $35+tax, best price), boneless skinless chicken breasts are now a cheaper source of protein.
    Whey's chief advantages were that it supposedly absorbed the fastest (offset by mixing with things like milk/flax/fruit - nonexistent unless all you mix it with is water which no one does) and was significantly cheaper per gram of protein than any other source, but its price has skyrocketed in the past few years (as you all can attest, I'm sure, we pretty much saw this coming).

So should I stop buying whey and switch to boneless chicken breasts which I'll grill in advance for the week?

The mantra is that "whole foods are better," after all.
    "Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" -Jimi Hendrix
    Check out http://anabolicsteroidforums.com !

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Check the Scivation 10lb box and also the Smart Powders box. Both are great deals

Taurus Nutrition Representative
    Everything I say is a product of my imagination
    & does not reflect the views or opinion of TN

Rep Points

What are your chicken numbers?
    Raw chicken breast you buy at supermarkets is generally a bit under 25% protein, because they add water during processing. After cooking it's generally about 40%, but it obviously weighs less because the water gets cooked out.

So to get 100 grams of protein, you'd need to buy a bit over 400 grams of raw chicken breast, call it 450 grams (especially since you'll trim some bits off) which is about a pound. I used to buy chicken at about 2 bucks a pound when I lived in the states, so figure 100 grams of chicken protein is $2.

5 lbs of whey is about 2270 grams, and at 80% protein that yields 1800-ish grams of protein. If a 5 lb jug of whey is $36 (about 7 bucks a pound), that's also about $2 for 100 grams of protein.

Now, here in Poland, the generic whey is 36 zloty for 900 grams, or about 6 bucks a pound. The chicken is 16 zloty a kilo, or about $2.50 a pound, so over here, whey still makes sense. But yeah, they're quite close. I generally use whey for the convenience factor.

Rep Points

after working out I like 'hydrolyzed' protein, absorbs very fast! chicken would take like 3-4 hours.

best shit money can buy! ^^

McBain

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by judojosh View Post
    Check the Scivation 10lb box and also the Smart Powders box. Both are great deals
    Hmm got any good links? Smart powders I saw comes out to like $6 a pound.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeGigs View Post
    What are your chicken numbers?
    Raw chicken breast you buy at supermarkets is generally a bit under 25% protein, because they add water during processing. After cooking it's generally about 40%, but it obviously weighs less because the water gets cooked out.

So to get 100 grams of protein, you'd need to buy a bit over 400 grams of raw chicken breast, call it 450 grams (especially since you'll trim some bits off) which is about a pound. I used to buy chicken at about 2 bucks a pound when I lived in the states, so figure 100 grams of chicken protein is $2.

5 lbs of whey is about 2270 grams, and at 80% protein that yields 1800-ish grams of protein. If a 5 lb jug of whey is $36 (about 7 bucks a pound), that's also about $2 for 100 grams of protein.

Now, here in Poland, the generic whey is 36 zloty for 900 grams, or about 6 bucks a pound. The chicken is 16 zloty a kilo, or about $2.50 a pound, so over here, whey still makes sense. But yeah, they're quite close. I generally use whey for the convenience factor.
    In a rush at the moment, will provide numbers in next post (if any other members have them, go ahead and post)

Quote Originally Posted by ecot3c inside View Post
    after working out I like 'hydrolyzed' protein, absorbs very fast! chicken would take like 3-4 hours.
    Mhm, whey absorbs very fast - but mixing it with milk or anything else (like oats, flax, etc.) decreases the absorption rate, no?

Rep Points

I hardley ever drink shakes anymore. Maybe it's the tren but I can eat 3 slices of pizza and a big glass of skim milk post workout and make sick gains while keeping my bf down

McBain

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by crazyotter View Post
    I hardley ever drink shakes anymore. Maybe it's the tren but I can eat 3 slices of pizza and a big glass of skim milk post workout and make sick gains while keeping my bf down
    Very true, but I guarantee you you'd be gaining even more with a diet of chicken breasts, lean ground beef, whole milk, brown rice and broccoli.

Rep Points

I've NEVER seen ON 5lbs. whey for $35, usually $53 after shipping. This puts Scivation at $41 shipped for 5lbs.

ON WHEY = $0.72 per 24g
    SCIVATION WHEY = $0.52 per 22g
    CHICKEN BREAST @ $1.99 per lb. = $0.50 per 24g
    CHICKEN BREAST @ $2.49 per lb. = $0.62 per 24g

So change brands and you'll be GTG.

Rep Points

i think they both have there place whey is great for morning breakfast shake with oatmeal and post workout but chicken fills you up for lunch dinner etc.

ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by squigader View Post
    but its price has skyrocketed in the past few years (as you all can attest, I'm sure, we pretty much saw this coming).
    What were you paying a few years ago? I've been paying roughly the same amount (within a few dollars) for quite a while now.

Usually around 33-35$ for 5LBs of whey either from All the Whey or lately the stuff from Costco (not EAS, it's "Made by Muscle Milk" or something)
    Ron Paul 2012

No gym for home, work out floor with 30, but is it for 20 like 30 lb when you no lift it to be for men, for 30 lbs instead? or half is 10 for 20 pounds?

Rep Points

Chicken if you can get enough - protein is protein but I seem to do better with a most natural choice... I know whey is natural, but seems like chicken protein goes further - probably just a mental thing with me

McBain

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by danzik17 View Post
    What were you paying a few years ago? I've been paying roughly the same amount (within a few dollars) for quite a while now.

Usually around 33-35$ for 5LBs of whey either from All the Whey or lately the stuff from Costco (not EAS, it's "Made by Muscle Milk" or something)
    There was a time when you could get 10lbs for around $60