• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Who here has run a marathon?

I Are Baboon

pedal pedal pedal
Elite Member
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Just wondering what your experience was like.

I registered for my first one, which is Oct 15 (Hartford Marathon). I was training for a half marathon, but when I reached that mileage and had 12 weeks until the event, I decided to go for the full marathon instead. "They" say you only need to build up to 20 miles. I'm up to 17 with eight weeks to go. Piece of cake. :D I think finishing the marathon in 4:30 is a reasonable expecation given my running pace and where I am with training.

I really just started running six months ago as a way to help lose some weight (I've lost 50 pounds). I've come a long way in a short amount of time. I credit my cycling legs for that.

By the way, I have never gone through a period of constant hunger like I have while training for this. Hungry ALL. THE. TIME.

Last edited:
Congrats on the weight you lost. Unfortunately, this being a bodybuilding site I don't think you are going to find a whole lot of guys who have run marathons.

Over the years, IM members have done tons of different fitness-related activities. :) And I know there are at least a few runners here.

I've done the half but not a full. Yikes :( 26 miles of running does not sound fun at all.

But it comes with a free shirt.

In that case, it's well worth it. :D

I've done halfs, but never a full. I don't know if I believe that line about needing to train to only 20 miles. If you get your body used to running 20 miles, how do you think you'll feel reaching that mark, then realizing you've got another 6.2? Not too happy, I'll bet.

The first couple of times I trained for halfs, I worked up to 13 in training runs, and I struggled to finish the race. Then I started going to 15 in training runs, and finishing the race was easier.

Good luck IAB!

Congratulation on the weight loss and the goal of doing the marathon! :clapping: I have done quite a few. I can tell you that finishing will make a big impression in your memory. After racing cars and motorcycles I thought I knew. However, nothing prepared me for that moment when I crossed the finish in my first marathon.

You keep training and that 4:30 finish will be yours!!!

I've done three. I can tell you a couple of things:

Pacing properly is everything. There will be a pace rabbit for 4:30 and you can stick to them like glue - ir really helps.

The last 3 miles suck more than anything you have ever done. I have never felt pain like after I finished my first race and my legs seized up.

And yes, it is very emotional. I ran my first one actually with a client (4:22) and while I was happy for her, I was overwhelmed after completing something like that. Good luck!

I did one about 2 years ago. You will want to run about 6 days a week.
Most days you can run about an hour with 1 day being sprint and Saturday for.example being your long run and sunday can be your rest day.
I ran mine right around 4 hours 30 min.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G

I've done halfs, but never a full. I don't know if I believe that line about needing to train to only 20 miles. If you get your body used to running 20 miles, how do you think you'll feel reaching that mark, then realizing you've got another 6.2? Not too happy, I'll bet.
I've read conflicting opinions. Some people say the last 10k is just a mental game, while others say you hit the wall at 20 miles. I'll probably push beyond the 20 in training to see how my body responds. The last 6.2 miles will probably take me an hour, and that's a lot of running. I did what you did when training for the half marathon, pushing the runs to 14-15 miles to make 13.1 seem easier. My half marathon time in training is pretty much right at two hours.

Pacing properly is everything. There will be a pace rabbit for 4:30 and you can stick to them like glue - ir really helps.

The last 3 miles suck more than anything you have ever done. I have never felt pain like after I finished my first race and my legs seized up.
I'm actually running with my uncle, who's done a bunch of marathons. He's right around 4:15-4:30, so he'll make a good running partner. I use the Nike+iPod to help with pacing. Press a button and it tells you your pace/time/distance. :)

I've been experimenting with nutrition on runs. Early in training (during the hottest days of summer, mind you), I stupidly went out for 10-14 mile runs with no water and no food. I couldn't believe how much I suffered with tired legs. Well DUH, drinking water and taking in calories makes a huge difference. My stomach is sensitive and Hammer Nutrition Perpetuem and their gels seem to do the trick. I carry them on a runners belt with a full water bottle.

I've been running five days a week...a couple of short ones at a fast pace (7:30-8:00), a couple of longer ones at marathon pace, and one long distance run at whatever pace is comfortable. I've done 37 miles this week with 8 planned for tomorrow.

I did a half marathon on a bet in college. I was only running around five miles a day, but I was lifting and sprinting a ton, too. My girlfriend at the time was on the track team, and she bet me that I didn't have the endurance to finish the race. So me and another linebacker who ran with me did it on a whim. We finished, but it was not easy. I weighed around 240 at the time. She tried to get me to do a full marathon with her, but by then it was too close to football season.

you been training only 6 months and right away you want to JOG a marathon?

why not train the proper way and try and better a 5k time? enter a 5k in a few more months time and try to better that time every other week..

i never can understand why non runners that are overweight all of a sudden start jogging and want to jog a marathon..to each their own thing i guess...

leave the marathon for the pure runners.. the 5 and 6 minute per mile guys...

your a 10 minute per mile guy, so i would try and better a 5k time.

all that extra weight pounding on pavement= injuries..

i never can understand why non runners that are overweight all of a sudden start jogging and want to jog a marathon..to each their own thing i guess...

It's because after all that jogging, an entirely new possibility has opened up to them. Something they never, ever thought they could or would do. And for many people, knowing the answer to the question of "Can I do that?" is important. Actually doing it removes any self-doubt about your capabilities, and it's a HUGE confidence builder.

It's all about the difference between saying "I think I could do that" and "I *have* done that."

you been training only 6 months and right away you want to JOG a marathon?

why not train the proper way and try and better a 5k time? enter a 5k in a few more months time and try to better that time every other week..

leave the marathon for the pure runners.. the 5 and 6 minute per mile guys...

your a 10 minute per mile guy, so i would try and better a 5k time.

all that extra weight pounding on pavement= injuries..

Not worth responding to.

I registered for my first one, which is Oct 15 (Hartford Marathon).

Finished my marathon in 4:16:01! Pretty much right in the middle pack out of 2300 finishers. Not bad for someone with less than a year of running under their feet.

The first 19 miles weren't bad. The last 7 were a bit of dehydration and cramp induced struggle and slow grind. The cramps slowed me down more than tired legs did. I had to run those last miles slowly because the cramps became unbearable if I pushed too hard. From what I've read, that's more of a result of my level of fitness and preparation. But, I ran the entire 26.2 miles without walking at all. I felt like complete hell when I crossed the finish line. What a feeling though.

I know you all were dying to find out how I did. :D

By the way, I also ran a half marathon on 9/18 and threw down a 1:48 time. I friggin rocked that one.

Last edited:
Back