• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 🔥Check Out Muscle Gelz HEAL® - A Topical Peptide Repair Formula with BPC-157 & TB-500! 🏥

Cocoa makes you fit faster

Arnold

Numero Uno
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
Cocoa makes you fit faster

Cocoa contains a compound that boosts the positive effects of endurance exertion. Researchers at the University of California gave (-)-epicatechin to mice that walked fast for half an hour a day on a treadmill and observed that the mice's stamina increased dramatically. So does cocoa boost the effectiveness of condition training?

The compound tested is not a rare one. Analyses show that (-)-epicatechin is the most common epicatechin in our diet. Food mostly contains glycosylated analogues. In 100 g of dark

chocolate you'll find 50 mg catechins; a 250 ml cup of tea contains 35 mg.

Catechins are also called flavan-3-oles. Their basic skeletal structure is shown below. And below that you'll see the structural formula of (-)-epicatechin. The substance is found in cocoa, but also in tea and herbs. Many of the positive cardiovascular effects of cocoa are due to (-)-epicatechin. [Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Jan 24; 103(4): 1024-9.] The compound makes blood vessels more flexible because it boosts the production of NO in the blood vessel walls.

The researchers are interested to know whether there are nutrients that keep muscles fit for longer as we age. Muscle cells depend on their mitochondria for their energy supply. These are molecular power generators that convert nutrients like fatty acids into energy molecules for the cell to use. As we age, the number of mitochondria in our cells declines, and the quality of the ones left over declines too. An active lifestyle can combat this effect.

The catechins in cocoa boost the production of NO, and many substances that have the same effect are found in sports supplements. NO plays a key role in hypertrophy. Whether catechins in cocoa have a positive effect on muscles has never been studied ??? which is why the researchers decided to do so.

The Americans got half of a group of mice to walk fast for half an hour a day, five days a week, on a treadmill; the other half did no exercise. The exercise was low intensity. Half of both groups were given 1 mg (-)-epicatechin per kg bodyweight twice a day.

After 15 days the researchers measured how long the mice could keep going for until they were exhausted. They discovered that supplementation with (-)-epicatechin in both the active and non-active test animals had raised their endurance capacity by about thirty percent.

I put cocoa in my vanilla shakes from time to time to add flavor but also because of the high number of anti-oxidants. Looks like this is just another reason to add cocoa.

with the rise of natural foods these days, you can easily find raw cocoa beans, which is nice because they are not processed and they are awesome by the handful - imo

Yummie cocoa with protein shake is what's up!! I'll throwin a scoop of Herseys dark chocolate pieces with 2 tablespoons of dark cocco yum yum!

Yummie cocoa with protein shake is what's up!! I'll throwin a scoop of Herseys dark chocolate pieces with 2 tablespoons of dark cocco yum yum!

For a good breakfast meal thats quick I use unsweetened ghirardelli cocoa powder (its glorious) with quick oats and I mix in power butter for a healthier PB and add a little stevia to sweeten it up. Tastes amazing even tough it looks a little poop-like. haha but seriously play around with the ratio's (I use 2tsp cocoa powder to 1.5 heaping tablespoon of power butter and its like a delicious pb cup :)

I just started up on chocamine. It's basically cocoa without any of the calories. Good stuff, bitter as hell, but gives a lot of energy at 1 to 1.5 grams.

one cup strong coffee with two tablespoons of raw cocoa powder will put a smile on your face... :winkfinger:

For a good breakfast meal thats quick I use unsweetened ghirardelli cocoa powder (its glorious) with quick oats and I mix in power butter for a healthier PB and add a little stevia to sweeten it up. Tastes amazing even tough it looks a little poop-like. haha but seriously play around with the ratio's (I use 2tsp cocoa powder to 1.5 heaping tablespoon of power butter and its like a delicious pb cup :)

Bro you just gave me a new breakfast shake receipe!!! Yum Yum

I do this same shake, but I throw in some whey. I know regular ghiradelli chocolate is the bomb, but can you really tell a difference in the unsweetened version?

Back