Whats a better exercise, the decline bench press or the incline bench press ?

Rep Points

Whats a better exercise, the decline bench press or the incline bench press ?

I Know incline works upper chest and decline works lower chest. But if you could only do one, which is the better exercise ?

Rep Points

Incline chest for overall growth purposes. I have read, been told and believe incline press is the key to chest growth

Rep Points

I'm a decline bench whore...

I am a female however, so working the lower part keeps the "girls" perky...And since gravity has a BAD habit of taking over a woman's "girls", I gotta give them all the EXTRA help I can...
    Last edited by Mrs.V.; 09-16-2011 at 07:15 AM.
    "If ya can't lift with the big boys,stay on the cardio side of the gym".
    "Will to win,desire to succeed & urge to reach your full potential...These are the keys that unlock the door to personal excellence"...

Thats Dr. Keke to you!
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

One is not better than the other, they are completely different exercises. If you are trying to hit your pecs, use decline and standard benchpress. If you want to spread the load out between your pecs and shoulders, do inclines.

Every exercise has it's place somewhere.
    Fucking Determined!

Rep Points

I clicked submit like a retard. I didnt do flat bench or decline for 3 months, in my younger days. I concentrated on incline barbell and dumbbell press, fly movements, all somewhat heavy for 6-10 reps. I was suprised at how well my chest grew. When i went back to normal bench again, my strength was much better than i expected.

But again, different strokes for different folks

Anabolic Whore
    ELITE MEMBER

Rep Points

I was always turned off by the decline bench. All the idiots in my gym would do 12 sets of them because they could use more weight due to the shorter range of motion. I'll incorporate them from time to time, but I love doing incline because it works best for me.
    Disclaimer: All information posted here is intended for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as a substitute for proper medical advice from a medical doctor. Everything posted is for entertainment purposes only. ANIMALHOUSE is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way use, encourage, nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

De oppresso liber

Rep Points

On chest day, I like to do both

Chest day-
    Dumbbell flat bench
    Incline bench
    Decline bench
    Chest flies
    Dips

PCT blows.

Rep Points

Yates swears by declines. That said, both have their place in routines. Just make sure you're not overusing your front delts which inclines really hammer.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Thumbs up

do them all either db or bb but youll hit it good doing the 3 exercises all in one workout. but dont overtrain. i love declines i dont get gyno with them but i think its in my head. iam old school though 32 yrs training lol.

all information given is fictional and only for entertainment purposes only. it is legal to use performance enhancement medications where i live. please seek medical advice before using any performance drug, and only if its legal in your country.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Killermonkey View Post
    On chest day, I like to do both

Chest day-
    Dumbbell flat bench
    Incline bench
    Decline bench
    Chest flies
    Dips
    good routine brother i might give those dips a try. thnx.

all information given is fictional and only for entertainment purposes only. it is legal to use performance enhancement medications where i live. please seek medical advice before using any performance drug, and only if its legal in your country.

BEEFCAKE
    SUPER MODERATOR

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.V. View Post
    I'm a decline bench whore...

I am a female however, so working the lower part keeps the "girls" perky...And since gravity has a BAD habit of taking over a woman's "girls", I gotta give them all the EXTRA help I can...
    Stopped doing decline anything 10 yrs ago - the girls feel like they are going to fall out.

All posts are for entertainment. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Rep Points

I find decline painful in the delts. I also find it more of a try excercise. I generally focus on upper inner now to create a fuller look. I think alot of people like decline because they can handle a litlke more weight.

BOARD REP

Rep Points

upper chest grows much slower for most people, and if you have a weak upper chest your pecs end up looking kinda like tits lol. Incline will give you that nice turtle shell look coming up over your clavicle, which is much better than droopy pecs in my opinion :P

Rep Points

Quote Originally Posted by KelJu View Post
    One is not better than the other, they are completely different exercises. If you are trying to hit your pecs, use decline and standard benchpress. If you want to spread the load out between your pecs and shoulders, do inclines.

Every exercise has it's place somewhere.
    ^^^
    This.

For pec growth, many find that either the flat bench or benching with the slightest decline possible will give the best chest development. However, it's not doing much for the anterior delts.

For me...I'm a dip whore. Why? I never made much chest progress no matter how I benched. My genetics say I'll have a small chest like my dad, my grandfather, my brother, and most other people in my family...except for the fat ones with moobs. However, when is started dipping exclusively and then adding weight to my dips... I noticed that my chest started to actually improve a little. I'll never have a big chest but it's certainly bigger with dips than any kind of benching. My shoulders and tris grew too. Interestingly enough after going 3 months without benching...I decided to see what my 1RM was just for the hell of it and it had gone up 40lbs. I guess my body weight + the weight chained around my waist with dips made a difference.

I guess it was worth putting my toes on a bench and cheating while I taught my body to dip. That said, most of my clients do either flat or decline benching because it gives them the best results for the chest...and their shoulders grow enough without doing inclines.
    DarkSide Muscle
    Training and Nutrition Consultation. Free content available, if you need more...send us an email.

Rep Points

Incline bench press...

Rep Points

It depends on what you are lacking...if your lower chest is lagging do decline more, and if your upper chest is lacking do more incline. If both are doing good then use both to keep balanced.