• 🛑Hello, this board in now turned off and no new posting.
    Please REGISTER at Anabolic Steroid Forums, and become a member of our NEW community! 💪
  • 💪Muscle Gelz® 30% Off Easter Sale👉www.musclegelz.com Coupon code: EASTER30🐰

90 degrees or farther?

wanttogetbig

college dude
Registered
Reaction score
IML Gear Cream!
hey all,

i ran across some interesting info the other day about how far down to bring the bar when bench pressing. I was told that you should not bring it past 90 degrees instead of down to my chest cause it puts too much pressure on your joints. I tried it once or twice, and it seemed alright especially cause ive had shoulder problems in the past.
I feel like I am cheating on the workout tho and also cheating my muscles from getting a full workout.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

I also have shoulder problems from a lifting injury, so I can relate.
I usually bring the bar to within 2 inches of my chest. I feel this is a good compromise, I decrease the chances of a shoulder injury, and it makes you use perfect for because you can't bounce the weight off your chest.

I've heard the 90 degree rule but, I feel the 2 inches works just fine.

I do use the 90 degree rule for my Military Presses, Lateral shoulder lifts, and Tricep pushdowns.

I've got long ass arms, I need XL shirts just so they fit my arms (maybe one day my chest :() so for me going to only 90 is going to mean there's more than 6" between my chest and the bar.

It all comes down to your natural ROM, without any weight, take the bar and preform a press, keep track of where the bar comes down to NATURALLY and use that same mark when doing the exercise.

Flat bench bothers my shoulders as well, I use DB's now and have no problem, I also don't worry about a spotter and have gone to failure many times dropping the weight, its a little loud but under control.

Back